Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Major attack in sweden reported by liberal MSM..... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Unless the new premise is that all the non-immigrants stopped breaking the law and only the immigrants are responsible for crime,....

That's not possible?

I'm not saying all non-immigrants stopped breaking the law, of course. But it's entirely possible that the crime rate among non-immigrants has dropped. If, as appears to be the case, the crime rate is higher among immigrants, and the crime rate has stayed level, seems to be the most likely explanation, doesn't it?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Major attack in sweden reported by liberal MSM..... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Unless the new premise is that all the non-immigrants stopped breaking the law and only the immigrants are responsible for crime,....

That's not possible?

I'm not saying all non-immigrants stopped breaking the law, of course. But it's entirely possible that the crime rate among non-immigrants has dropped. If, as appears to be the case, the crime rate is higher among immigrants, and the crime rate has stayed level, seems to be the most likely explanation, doesn't it?

hey, the lastest episode of "the skeptics guide to the universe" covered the issue of immigration and crime statistics more focused on illegal immigration. its was pretty interesting.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Major attack in sweden reported by liberal MSM..... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

That's not possible?

The film's allegation is that Sweden's immigration policies are leading to a wave of gun crime and rape. That's simply not born out by the numbers, as the article I linked explains. Sweden doesn't report ethnicity with crime statistics, so it's impossible to refute the supposition that the crime rate overall has remained the same (or slightly decreased) but the percentage of crime committed by immigrants has significantly risen, but the fact remains, there does not seem to be any wave of gun violence or rape in Sweden, despite significant increase in immigration over the past 10 years.

But yes, since you seem determined to defend the possibility of this claim being true, I will concede that it's possible that a large enough percentage of Swedes stopped committing crimes so as to allow for significant rise in immigrant crime without any noticeable increase in overall crime. It seems pretty damn unlikely, but not impossible. However, you can't really claim there's a wave of gun and rape crimes when the numbers just don't seem to demonstrate that conclusion, which seems to be what the film makers did.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Major attack in sweden reported by liberal MSM..... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said, I didn't see the film, so I don't know what it claimed specifically. And this is from wikipedia, but still:

Immigrants are over-represented in Sweden's crime statistics. In a study by the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention in 1997–2001, 25% of the almost 1,520,000 offences were found to be committed by people born abroad and almost 20% were committed by Swedish born people of foreign background. In the study, immigrants were found to be four times more likely to be investigated for lethal violence and robbery than ethnic Swedes. In addition, immigrants were three times more likely to be investigated for violent assault, and five times more likely to be investigated for sex crimes. Those from North Africa and Western Asia were overrepresented.[43][44] Migrants have been associated with a series of highly publicized crimes, including the 2016 Sweden asylum center stabbing, and the 2015 Ikea stabbing attack.[45]

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The premise isn't right though because the crime committed by refugees is not high or is it growing.

How much of Sweden's crime is committed by immigrants?

I have no idea and would have to look it up but I'm not the President and didn't make the claim against another country based on a program on Fox news. I would think his staff would be out at least showing where the information came from and maybe they have, but I haven't seen it yet.

I really need to get a Twitter account.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Like I said, I didn't see the film, so I don't know what it claimed specifically. And this is from wikipedia, but still:

Immigrants are over-represented in Sweden's crime statistics. In a study by the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention in 1997–2001, 25% of the almost 1,520,000 offences were found to be committed by people born abroad and almost 20% were committed by Swedish born people of foreign background. In the study, immigrants were found to be four times more likely to be investigated for lethal violence and robbery than ethnic Swedes. In addition, immigrants were three times more likely to be investigated for violent assault, and five times more likely to be investigated for sex crimes. Those from North Africa and Western Asia were overrepresented.[43][44] Migrants have been associated with a series of highly publicized crimes, including the 2016 Sweden asylum center stabbing, and the 2015 Ikea stabbing attack.[45]

It may very well be that immigrants commit a higher percentage of the total crime numbers than is proportional to their portion of the population. But if that has been a problem since a study conducted beginning in 1997, then it's kind of hard to claim it's based on Sweden's recent response and policies with regard to Middle Eastern immigrants, which is, again, what the film maker seems to have contended. Especially so if those crime numbers have not gone up despite a significant influx of Middle Eastern immigrants in the last decade.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Major attack in sweden reported by liberal MSM..... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really need to get a Twitter account.

Eh. Did that a week or two ago. Don't bother.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did find a little information, not sure if it is fake or not. I understand that Sweden had a large increase in Immigration in 2015. They accepted 244,000 immigrants, the most in Europe, with about 35% coming from Syria and Iraq, not sure about the rest. I'm not sure if the comments refer to crime in general, or violent crime, but based on this, it appears the overall crime rate went up but violent crime went down slightly. Here is what I read,

- Sweden registered a record number of crimes per capita in 2015, according to the government agency Swedish Crime Prevention Council (BRA). The figures are just a bit higher than in 2009.

- Crimes and misdemeanors rose by 4.1 percent from 2014 to 2015.

- Property damage (theft, robbery, burglary) jumped by 7.2 percent between 2014 and 2015.

- Violence against persons fell by 0.4 percent and all sexual crimes plunged by 11 percent in the same period, according to BRA.

Sweden has one of the lowest crime rates in the world with a homicide rate of 1.1 per 100,000 inhabitants in 2015, according to BRA.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Feb 20, 17 15:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That's from: http://www.motherjones.com/...s-even-when-it-hurts

it's kind of hard to claim it's based on Sweden's recent response and policies with regard to Middle Eastern immigrants, which is, again, what the film maker seems to have contended. Especially so if those crime numbers have not gone up despite a significant influx of Middle Eastern immigrants in the last decade.

I don't think it's as hard as you're making out. The rate of crime committed by a minority population could easily be obscured in the overall numbers by a much more modest decline among the majority.

In any event, unless those rates have changed dramatically since the period between 1997-2001, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that immigrants are causing Sweden all sorts of problems.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the time to believe something is when the evidence says you should. you should not start with a position then shoehorn cherry picked data to try and support it.

it seems like youre doing the latter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In any event, unless those rates have changed dramatically since the period between 1997-2001, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that immigrants are causing Sweden all sorts of problems.

It certainly is in the context of policy response to recent Middle Eastern immigration.

The film and most supporting argument are being cast in context of the debate surrounding Pres Trump's immigration E.O. The goal is to defend the idea that Middle Eastern immigrants pose a particular danger. If the crime rate has not gone up, the rape numbers have not gone up, the gun crime numbers have not gone up, but the number of Middle Eastern immigrants has significantly gone up, I think it's difficult to claim that Middle Eastern immigration is causing all sorts of gun crime and rape crime problems for Sweden. Again, that seems to be the crux of the argument the film maker was presenting.

The govt of Sweden seems to be denying this premise, and the police officers interviewed in the film have apparently come out saying that they were quoted wildly out of context in the film to the point that their answers don't represent the questions they were asked, etc.

It seems to me that this entire confusion stems largely from a film maker with an agenda and poor scruples.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

from what i glean he was talking about the general crime upsurge in sweden (that is not happening), based on a tucker carlson interview that was (according to the swedes themselves, including those interviewed) very selectively edited.

He was talking about "all sorts of problems" that the Swedes are experiencing due to letting in high numbers of immigrants. I didn't see the Fox report, and I can't really say whether or not it was selectively edited. (Though I note your willingness to question journalism is restored.) And while there might not have been a recent upswing in crime, immigrants in Sweden are over-represented when it comes to committing crime.

just, about that night. do we know what it was that happened? somebody miss the wax for their ski race or...?

He was apparently trying to say that he saw the Fox News story about it "last night," even though it actually aired the night before that.
From what I read, it was not the interview that was selectively edited, but the film by the guy Carlson was interviewing. Some of the cops he interviewed for the film have said he took things out of context, misrepresenting what they actually said.
I agree with your take, as we project "what he really meant". It would really behoove Trump to make himself scarce, but it looks like he is an attention whore AND thinks it works well for him. Sad! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Major attack in sweden reported by liberal MSM..... [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
the time to believe something is when the evidence says you should. you should not start with a position then shoehorn cherry picked data to try and support it.

Sounds like you are about to chew out the man made end of the earth global warming consensus science is settled crew.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Major attack in sweden reported by liberal MSM..... [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Sounds like you are about to chew out the man made, end of the earth, global warming consensus, science is settled, crew.

i often dont use commas here, but if you added some here, i think i could follow you better :)

did the ones i added to your quote end up in the right spot?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

This is reasonable. Fucking immagants.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Major attack in sweden reported by liberal MSM..... [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe Trump“Sweden. Who would believe this? Sweden. They took in large numbers. They’re having problems like they never thought possible." has a point.

Ami Horowitz - Full Exposure:

I wonder if this technique is Duffy approved?
An educational PSA to prevent women from being raped in the land of delusion:

Quote Reply

Prev Next