Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump rally [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
Unhinged" or unpopular does not mean "similar to Hitler," though.

I said what I had to say on this. I showed you examples. You can use the internet and educate yourself if you really want to.

You guys are going to see what you want to see.

If it makes you feel any better, I thought some of your examples were at least concerning if not Hitlerian.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump rally [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People may think I'm angered or frustrated by these thread with Dan, Barry or anybody else calling Trump Hitler. But it doesn't actually. Yes, I'm a little pissed that when I compared Obama to Hitler, I was labeled over the top and its a little annoying that they can still reconcile calling me over the top vs them now calling trump Hitler. But hey, I go to sleep at night much easier than the last 8 years. And I chuckle at their insanity over this. I almost feel bad for them if I wasn't so entertained by it and hope this fear and anguish goes on like this for 8 years.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Trump rally [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
eople may think I'm angered or frustrated by these thread with Dan, Barry or anybody else calling Trump Hitler.

In post #42 I explicitly said that I didn't call him Hitler.

This didn't used to happen in the LR. 5-10 years ago I could say X and we would move on as if I actually said X. In recent history we have reached a new lower level of discourse where you claim I said something I didn't say, and no matter how many times I point out the fact that I didn't say it, you will keep repeating it as if I said it. If Trump has proven anything, its that it is a very effective tactic. Why? Because people are fucking stupid.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While you didn't explicitly call him Hitler like Dan did. You have been not so subtle in comparisons. Trust me, there isn't a person here who doesn't interpret your post to be a direct analogy.

Hitler had weird hair to.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You have been not so subtle in comparisons.

Yes, and I listed them, and they are both valid and important.

When Obama was compared, it was:

They were both for socialized medicine
They both wanted people to like them
They both wanted to take your guns
They both ran the trains on time
They both had mustaches (well, Obama would have had won if he tried growing it)

Quote:
Trust me, there isn't a person here who doesn't interpret your post to be a direct analogy.

I know nuance is too deep for you. Yes, of course I am drawing lots of comparisons and intend to point out the dangers. That doesn't mean that Trump is going to round up the Jews and start a world war. But I do think that his attempts to discredit the entire press is pretty fucking dangerous.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the thing: A lot of people are comparing Trump to Hitler, and a lot of people are raising alarm bells about the beginnings of a tyrannical dictatorship. It isn't just that people are noting similarities between how Trump came to power and how Trump came to power. (Though I think it's evident such similarities are so vaguely worded that they could apply to just about anyone.)

I think it's also pretty clear that past presidents- both recent and farther back in history- have pretty regularly abused the authority of the office in much more substantive ways than Trump has. I think it's not too much to say that many of them have moved us substantially closer to an authoritarian, totalitarian state.

The difference, I think, is that people were more or less OK with those abuses because there never seemed to be the specter of a personal dictatorship arising. For some reason people seem to be less worried about that kind of power when the individual who wields it will surrender it to someone else in a few years. And for some reason, people have this sense that Donald J Trump is going to try to seize that power and keep it.

Frankly, I think such concerns are ridiculous. I don't think Trump is the man to try, and even more, I don't think he'd stand a chance of succeeding.

More importantly, I think it doesn't matter that much. If you're willing to live with a strong central authority that doesn't respect personal liberties, what does it matter if the guy in charge leaves office for someone else who's going to further erode freedom every few years? And if it is so vital to prevent a strongman from seizing the reigns of power, the best way to do that is to limit the power we entrust to the president and the government in the first place.

I'm just not worried that Trump is going to declare himself dictator of the USA. I am concerned with the encroachment on individual liberty that goes on almost continually, and to be honest, so far Trump has been unobjectionable in that regard.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump rally [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
People may think I'm angered or frustrated by these thread with Dan, Barry or anybody else calling Trump Hitler. But it doesn't actually. Yes, I'm a little pissed that when I compared Obama to Hitler, I was labeled over the top and its a little annoying that they can still reconcile calling me over the top vs them now calling trump Hitler. But hey, I go to sleep at night much easier than the last 8 years. And I chuckle at their insanity over this. I almost feel bad for them if I wasn't so entertained by it and hope this fear and anguish goes on like this for 8 years.

You know, it's funny because my thoughts have been pretty similar until recently. I was laughing about the craziness. I figured if you can be that tribal and one sided in your thinking, and let the media get you that keyed up, then you deserve the anxiety that comes with your craziness.

However, in the past, I have come to regret living among the insane. I was laughing when people were buying all those internet stocks in 2000, but it turns out that all tech stocks were affected. I was laughing when people were speculating on housing in 2006 thinking to myself that I was so happy I wasn't going to get burned in that fire. Well, guess what? That fire went out of control, and I got burned.

So now, I'm thinking when I see Dan, and Ken, and others (not BarryP) going off the deep end and being generally inconsolable about Trump it worries me because this is getting to the point of mass hysteria. I've got a lot of people on my FB feed that were apoplectic after the election, and I'm not sure they're getting better either. The media is continuing to escalate the situation. They don't want to oppose Trump's initiatives one by one. They want him totally delegitimized, and they want him out of office. Meanwhile, Trump keeps poking the bear.

I've sort of assigned myself the mission -- well, test mission at this point -- of pushing back on the all-too-easy narrative here that absolutely everything that comes out of Trump's mouth is the most terrible lie ever said. However, I'm not sure if my arguing helps people see the light and calm down or if it just drives them even more nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump rally [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm just not worried that Trump is going to declare himself dictator of the USA.

Neither am I. Then again, I wasn't worried that the Bush administration would invade a sovereign nation a year before re-election, so what do I know?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
I'm just not worried that Trump is going to declare himself dictator of the USA.

Neither am I. Then again, I wasn't worried that the Bush administration would invade a sovereign nation a year before re-election, so what do I know?

It must be nice to always have this to fall back on.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of misses the point.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply

Prev Next