Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why did they change the Syracuse 70.3 run course?
Quote | Reply
Another poster asked about the race and I looked at the course maps for reference and noticed a change to the run course. That run course was a bitch. The mile up/mile down section on Palladino & Ransom kind of reached mythological levels due to its brutality. That gave that race character.

What's with the change? Looks like they made the run course a lot easier. Now you only run halfway up Palladino and turn around. Is this temporary for some reason or is this now the new run course going forward?

I know the bike course was changed for the harder last year so I wonder if this change to the run course was to lessen the back to back ass kicking the bike and run course gave everyone.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 19, 17 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: Why did they change the Syracuse 70.3 run course? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you answered your own questions.

I didn't mind the hill so much as the part on the grass. Not only did it get mucky when it rained, but it was on an incline perpendicular to the race direction.
Last edited by: timbasile: Feb 19, 17 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: Why did they change the Syracuse 70.3 run course? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
I think you answered your own questions.

I know. That's a shame. I would've kept the run course brutal and just used the old bike course, which wasn't exactly easy either.

I know the run course has a reputation that probably doesn't help with registrations but it's the "iconic" part of the race, IMO.

Quote Reply
Re: Why did they change the Syracuse 70.3 run course? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
I didn't mind the hill so much as the part on the grass. Not only did it get mucky when it rained, but it was on an incline perpendicular to the race direction.

The last time I did the race was in 2012 so I never experienced the grassy part. I think that started in 2013.

Quote Reply
Re: Why did they change the Syracuse 70.3 run course? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because the wussification of long course triathlon continues so that everyone can be an All World Athlete. Yes the course was hard but so are a lot of courses and conditions and days. Wahhh it's raining and hilly and because grass and mucky. Boo fucking hoo. Harden the fuck up. I'd rather send the whiners to Spartan racing but WTC isn't on the same page.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did they change the Syracuse 70.3 run course? [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Because the wussification of long course triathlon continues so that everyone can be an All World Athlete. Yes the course was hard but so are a lot of courses and conditions and days. Wahhh it's raining and hilly and because grass and mucky. Boo fucking hoo. Harden the fuck up. I'd rather send the whiners to Spartan racing but WTC isn't on the same page.

I get WTC's dilemma though if there's a demonstrative drop in registrations, and feedback saying it's "too hard and I won't be back." They are a business after all. There's less than a thousand registered as of the current participant list updated two weeks ago. That's less than half the numbers from two years ago and more than a third less than last year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tremblant 70.3 is on the same day (low Canadian $ might attract a lot of American triathletes from NY State) and the Syracuse course has known a lot of changes since 2010.

I have seen 2 versions of it and my favourite was back in 2011. Not a big fan of the muddy grass part, but eh it is a triathlon!

2 races ending early due to bad weather may have discouraged some people as well.

As I already wrote on IMFL post, border-crossing issues and woes might also deter people from signing up.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure it was to eliminate the road-sharing between the bike and run courses, which resulted in a frustrating no-pass zone.
Quote Reply