Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tire gurus- what is the fastest rolling 700x28-32 tire that has decent flat protection? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year my partner and I rode out to meet RAGBRAI on the GP 4000II 28s (which measure 31mm). We didn't get a lot of rain, but we did ride quite a bit of gravel on the way. I'll keep the 10 watts in exchange for an occasional flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire gurus- what is the fastest rolling 700x28-32 tire that has decent flat protection? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...not replying to you, but in general to this thread. This place would be like a basketball forum and Michael Jordan shows up to tell you guys how to dunk a basketball better, and you guys go back to to talking about the technicalities of dunking rather than the fact that Jordan showed up to tell you how to dunk!
Quote Reply
Re: Tire gurus- what is the fastest rolling 700x28-32 tire that has decent flat protection? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
...not replying to you, but in general to this thread. This place would be like a basketball forum and Michael Jordan shows up to tell you guys how to dunk a basketball better, and you guys go back to to talking about the technicalities of dunking rather than the fact that Jordan showed up to tell you how to dunk!

In my defence, in this particular analogy I agreed with Michael Jordan!

I do think puncture resistance is something that is very difficult to compare in any meaningful way based on personal experience. We all ride in very different conditions, and punctures don't arrive at regular intervals, there's a lot of randomness (luck) involved. I had a pair of Michelin Pro3s that gave me >2000 miles of puncture-free riding a few years ago, and I had a pair of GP 4000 IIs where something ripped a hole in the sidewall of the front tire in under 200 miles. Doesn't mean the Pro3s have 10x the puncture resistance of the GPs, just means I got lucky and then unlucky.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire gurus- what is the fastest rolling 700x28-32 tire that has decent flat protection? [skid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What pressure do y'all run in the 28s? I'm 165lbs if it helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire gurus- what is the fastest rolling 700x28-32 tire that has decent flat protection? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
Yes, seriously.
I love the GP4000 II- but it does not offer good flat protection unless the pavement is dry and clean.
These tires will be on a bike that is primarily ridden in wet weather.
I commute all year in Vancouver on GP4000s including 28s in the winter. We basically have wet roads for 4-6 months through the winter. I might get one or two flats that take 5 min to fix. Not worth changing tires for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire gurus- what is the fastest rolling 700x28-32 tire that has decent flat protection? [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
bootsie_cat wrote:
Yes, seriously.
I love the GP4000 II- but it does not offer good flat protection unless the pavement is dry and clean.
These tires will be on a bike that is primarily ridden in wet weather.
I commute all year in Vancouver on GP4000s including 28s in the winter. We basically have wet roads for 4-6 months through the winter. I might get one or two flats that take 5 min to fix. Not worth changing tires for me.
Same for Seattle, and I sometimes ride on light gravel paths as well. Sure I've had an occasional flat but most of the time it was something that would take out *any* tire, like a piece of metal.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire gurus- what is the fastest rolling 700x28-32 tire that has decent flat protection? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
And yeah that!

(I'm heading out for IMNZ soon - maybe I'll bump into him) :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tire gurus- what is the fastest rolling 700x28-32 tire that has decent flat protection? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The G-One Speed 30 is a fantastic tyre. I also run the One in 28 and it's hard to tell it the 30 is slower. It's that good.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire gurus- what is the fastest rolling 700x28-32 tire that has decent flat protection? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
I would consider the Specialized Roubix Pro tires. The 30/32 that is a decent tire, IMO, and I prefer it over a 4Season.

3/4ths of the way down:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Tires_2014_3982.html

+1 on the Roubaix Pro. I've used both the 26/28 and the 30/32. No flats yet, and they feel supple and fast. My only complaint is the goofy numbering :-) they should just use the 2nd number which is the casing size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers DP. Going to see Bruce Springsteen live tonight here in Christchurch. He's right up there on my hero list as well. Looking forward to it!
Quote Reply

Prev Next