Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IT geeks: which is the SSD? HP Spectre X360
Quote | Reply
So my x360 has packed it in as it won't charge and now it's dead flat. I checked the charger with a voltmeter and it reads 19 odd volts at the connector pin.

I've heard quite a few say this is a MB issue and to replace that will erase all SSD content. People on forums have said to remove the drive, copy content then send it in. Apparently it can be formally done without voiding warranty if done with care.

So having removed the back plate (and slicing my finger pretty good in the process!), which is the SSD? The IT guy at work said depending on the type of drive it might not be possible.

Can you tell from this pic?

Alternatively Can I remove the battery to charge externally?

Last edited by: mv2005: Feb 17, 17 20:52
Quote Reply
Re: IT geeks: which is the SSD? HP Spectre X360 [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

under the battery

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04179264

step by step instructions and even a video

Invoice: 2 beers (Please, none of that Budweiser crap)

Note: for future reference, SSDs look a lot like regular drives since they have to fit in the same slot (at least all the SSDs I've seen (n=3) look like regular HDs (although i'll admit, i'm no expert))

Last edited by: ChiTownJack: Feb 17, 17 21:02
Quote Reply
Re: IT geeks: which is the SSD? HP Spectre X360 [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yeah the guy at work said some type are built into the MB. I wasn't going to open it up until I'd confirmed it wasn't the charger.

Appreciate that.

PS beer might be flat when it arrives from Oz
Quote Reply
Re: IT geeks: which is the SSD? HP Spectre X360 [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see it also gives a warning about slicing your skin! Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Thanks. Yeah the guy at work said some type are built into the MB. I wasn't going to open it up until I'd confirmed it wasn't the charger.

Appreciate that.

PS beer might be flat when it arrives from Oz

the ones bulit into a MB are small - like 32/64 gig - a 256/512gig is going to look like a HDD.

I also accept cash US cash, but not dollarydoos
Last edited by: ChiTownJack: Feb 17, 17 21:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 At the top it looks like an SSD in a M.2 slot with a screw holding down the left side.
Last edited by: Arch Stanton: Feb 17, 17 21:43
Quote Reply
Re: IT geeks: which is the SSD? HP Spectre X360 [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
At the top it looks like an SSD in a M.2 slot with a screw holding down the left side.

I see it does say 128GB which is the capacity of the drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

We have a winner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried replacing the battery? I'd say it is way more likely to be a battery issue than a bad motherboard.
Quote Reply
Re: IT geeks: which is the SSD? HP Spectre X360 [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
Have you tried replacing the battery? I'd say it is way more likely to be a battery issue than a bad motherboard.

Not yet. I'll wait and see what they send out - which I suspect will just be a charger.

The MB suspicion is just going off forums where several people sounded like they had the same issue and it turned out to be the MB.

It would be ideal if I could figure out a way to try and charge the battery outside of the computer (direct, with my multi purpose RC hobby charger) but the battery has a rather unique looking connector.
Quote Reply
Re: IT geeks: which is the SSD? HP Spectre X360 [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

We have a winner.

Yeah yeah I'm just not familiar with SSD and those that I've seen still look like a drive of sorts rather than a stick of RAM.

Unfortunately this means I can't just simply connect it up to a PC SATA port and copy. I really need to figure out a way to get enough juice into the battery to power the device long enough to clear the drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just buy a M.2 -> USB adapter. Shouldn't be more than $20 from Amazon/Ebay.
Quote Reply