Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Missing the grind?
Quote | Reply
Was just at the gym and there was a guy there just crushing intervals in the treadmill.

Full tri gear.

Anyway, he finishes and then changes outfits and starts doing very deliberate weights. Super focused and specific. Then he puts on a vest that has weights in it, adjusts the weights etc.

As I watched him half of me mocked him for being such a nerd but the other half missed that focus and drive that comes when I was a total nerd.

Who else misses that?
Quote Reply
Re: Missing the grind? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. It's more fun hitting people and lifting heavy.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
Was just at the gym and there was a guy there just crushing intervals in the treadmill.

Full tri gear.

Anyway, he finishes and then changes outfits and starts doing very deliberate weights. Super focused and specific. Then he puts on a vest that has weights in it, adjusts the weights etc.

As I watched him half of me mocked him for being such a nerd but the other half missed that focus and drive that comes when I was a total nerd.

Who else misses that?

I still train intensely. Just notnfor races right now. With that said, there is a difference between training intensely and being a spectacle. This onendud are the gym wears a waiter vest and it looks more tactical than the play carrier I wear in my armored division shooting matches. It looks goofy and out of place in a gym. Another guy wears a plate carrier less mag and utility pouches at another gym I go to. It looks used so maybe he wore it in combat maybe he's a cop. I don't know. And he is in definite sharp doing cross fit in that carrier but it looks goofy.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are treading on thin ice here. One of our favourite Canadiens will be monitoring this and its relavance to this forum.

I have let myself slide--need to lose about 20. Last IM a decade ago. I do not me the geekiness, I miss that fit feeling. Really miss it. Trying to give up some bad habits and work out more.

Life is getting in the way. Need to change priorities.

Back to LR spin: I'm telling myself I need to buy my pants bigger in order to conceal my handgun better. Yes, I did carry on my ride today.
Quote Reply
Re: Missing the grind? [J-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J-No wrote:
We are treading on thin ice here. One of our favourite Canadiens will be monitoring this and its relavance to this forum.

I have let myself slide--need to lose about 20. Last IM a decade ago. I do not me the geekiness, I miss that fit feeling. Really miss it. Trying to give up some bad habits and work out more.

Life is getting in the way. Need to change priorities.

Back to LR spin: I'm telling myself I need to buy my pants bigger in order to conceal my handgun better. Yes, I did carry on my ride today.

Oxymoron?

I haven't trained seriously for a tri race since mid 2012. I've kept in ok shape, commuting every day (albeit short) and having occasional bursts of decent volumes (late 2015 started running a lot then got injured; early 2016 started biking more than ever; mid 2016 went interstate and used the complex gym extensively), but since mid last year injuries have just given me the shits and unrelated depression has destroyed any zest for life. Fortunately I haven't put on any weight but I too miss being fit. That mistaken belief that other people are watching you exercise and thinking that guy's in shape - when frankly no one gives a damn.

I'd never do another IM. Can't fathom the thought of the training volume. But I'd always hung onto the belief I'd try for a PB in the half. If time hasn't just about killed that off, injuries appear to be. Though my left leg just tolerates a moderate bunion, my right leg is just rooted. I'd hate to see what lies beneath the kneecap, I have a cyst in my hip joint (though no apparent labral tear), tendonapathy in the hamstring and patella and a calf that threatens to have a 'heart attack' the moment I lean forward to take the load off the knee. Time really does go so fast as you age.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, whatever happened to that show?

Oh yeah, MTV died

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I walk my dog with reckless abandon

Quote | Reply
What is tri gear?

Are people wearing something other than a speedo, racing flats, and a visor?
Quote Reply
Re: Missing the grind? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
I walk my dog with reckless abandon

As long as you clean up after your dog, that's just fine

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Missing the grind? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only if someone has a visual on us.

Quote | Reply
Hell no. Doing that stuff means there's also an investment in more gear, race entry fees, weekends away, and general exhaustion. I'm content riding & running for fun these days, hard bike intervals for an hour 3 times/week & screwing around on the mountain bike a couple more times, and spending the rest of the time doing things that are more meaningful to my soul as a whole. It's enough if I want to jump in and do a couple MTB or CX races a year locally and not be totally embarrassed, but not the time and effort commitment to rob my family of the time they deserve. I don't miss it a bit.
Quote Reply