Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Obama the 12th best Prez [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Trump claims he "inherited a mess." That's obviously a load. Obama, on the hand, inherited the very definition of a mess. The turn around we saw, as evidenced by almost every measurable we can consider, was nearly miraculous. A president can't take all the credit for what happens over eight years, obviously, but he has to get a lot and I would put him in the upper third.

The heavy lifting to save the economy was passed by Bush before Obama even took office. The controversial TARP was done under Bush's admin, which was key in getting credit flowing again. Bush also passed the initial Detroit bailout, which Obama later expanded. The only thing that Obama really did for the economy was the stimulus package, which was a good idea, but was terribly executed. Obama let liberal democrats hijack the original purpose of the stimulus by injecting cash into liberal pet projects, so that what was sold to the American public ("shovel ready projects") turned out to be a very small percentage of the overall $800B stimulus package (it was less than $100B of the total, IIRC). I would give Obama very little credit for the recovery from the 2008 crisis.

Quote | Reply
That's funny, I see the turnaround as a tribute to the American people/business that hunkered down and did what was necessary to survive. What did Pres. Obama really do? He put forth bogus "shovel ready" jobs, bailed out too big to fail cronies and artificially stimulated the stock market. With all that, we still have anemic growth, massive debt and a broken health care system.

Not a fan.

Re: Obama the 12th best Prez [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how I would rate Obama. Rating presidents seems pretty hard.

I think it is meaningless, at least in terms of Bush and Obama. You can relate some things on a more short term nature but with Bush and the Iraq War, the impact could be generational. For Obama, he did inherent a financial mess but I don't think you can blame Bush for that or give credit to Obama.

For Obama, like Bush, a lot of their legacy will be on how things work out on foreign policy. Obama solidified some relationships with allies but also increased drone attacks and had a very bad relationship with Russia. It's way too early to assess the impact of those. His big domestic achievement was ACA but that may be gone so the jury is out.

Both Bush and Obama increased the debt, Obama much more than Bush but the impact of that is also something that is kicked down the road.

Either way, Trump will be on top of the list when he is done, everyone agrees with that. I hear people talking about it all the time but you won't hear it from the dishonest media. It will be a great 8 years, trust me.
Quote Reply
Re: Obama the 12th best Prez [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I see the turnaround as a tribute to the American people/business that hunkered down and did what was necessary to survive.

I suppose that you also credit the American people/business for the fact that "we still have anemic growth". I find the "blame/credit" game to be a bit too politically capricious.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 20, 17 17:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next