Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Team New Zealand will use "spinning bikes" on Americas Cup challenger boat
Quote | Reply
I think a please-critique-my-fit thread is in order for these four guys.
No aero bars for "grinder" number 2?
Slowman, if you were to look into the crystal ball, how do you see the TT-bike-for-hydraulic-sailboat-power-marked develop?
Who will be first to develop a bike that produces hydraulic power while onboard and quickly tweaks into a regular TT bike once back on land? One could even sail to Kona and get decent training done along the way...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obmjmij3ip0
Quote Reply
Re: Team New Zealand will use "spinning bikes" on Americas Cup challenger boat [brynjulf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Team New Zealand will use "spinning bikes" on Americas Cup challenger boat [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the guys spinning can generate more power on the bike than just about anyone else in the world...Simon van Velthooven.Ex track sprinter. Got third at Worlds in 2012 in the kilo tt and bronze in London in the Kierin.
Quote Reply
Re: Team New Zealand will use "spinning bikes" on Americas Cup challenger boat [brynjulf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is pretty awesome. It has been tried once before but the challenging boat couldn't make it work (40 years ago). The 12 meter was not quite as 'flat' under sail as these new cup boats and the grinders were not nearly as efficient as the Team New Zealand boys appear to be. The ability to produce hydraulic power quickly will probably be the difference in this Cup.

Funny, there is a discussion of watts going on relative to the power that the grinders are putting out...never thought I would hear that used in boat racing like this!

For some perspective, the old cup boats were quite pedestrian compared to the new AC50s. The old boats were doing 10 - 14 knots on a good day. These new boats are now approaching highway speeds.
Quote Reply