Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you talk to your kids about the President's behavior?
Quote | Reply
My oldest is a few months shy of 8 years. He watched the election process with some interest, and joined me (actually voted for me) in the booth. He knows I was #neverhillary and #nevertrump from the outset, and I explained to him why: long histories of pathological difficulties with truth. I explained all the usual stuff about politics and how some level of fudging facts to support a position is common, but there are, and have to be, limits to what behavior we should reward with our votes.

I also taught him early on that, as with all other adults, and particular POTUS, we use proper titles for them out of respect for the office, even if we don't like them personally, or their policies or political agendas. It's as much about us as it is about them, in terms of how we conduct ourselves. He gets all of that, and is very good about manners, being respectful to us and other adults, teachers, etc.

I also teach him that words have very specific meanings and that we should know exactly what they mean, and how they should be used, and that even though some people disagree with their usage, it doesn't mean he's wrong to use them. For example, he was dragging his feet on his homework and mrs sphere put the foot down and gave an ultimatum. He had a mini meltdown and accused her of judging him. Her response was that she wasn't judging him, and went on about his responsibilities. The next day we talked about what it means to judge, that there are respected people whose entire job is to judge right from wrong, and that it's never wrong to form a judgment provided that it's correct to the best of our knowledge, and that it's not biased, prejudicial, or intended as hurtful. It's OK to judge someone's behavior as inappropriate, bullying, dangerous, etc. That general theme is applied broadly when it comes to words and behavior. We don't do PC in our house (unlike his elementary school), but we make certain that he's careful with the freedom to speak honestly, to the extent that we can monitor and regulate it.

This morning he and I were watching the news, and a highlight reel of the President's most recent lies caught his attention. He asked my why he seems to lie all the time ("dumb lies" is what he called them, specifically). I reminded him of why I couldn't vote for someone like him, for that reason, among others. I reminded him of why I get so upset when I catch him lying to me, because of what repeated lying says about a person's character, and their level of respect for the person to whom they're lying. A few minutes later he made a later comment about the President being a liar, and it grated on me. I didn't correct him, because...he's right. I made sure to tell him he's not to talk about it at school, because it's not an appropriate place for the discussion, but if the topic of the President comes up (President's Day is next week, so there's a fairly decent chance of it), I don't know that I'd be upset if I heard from a teacher that he used the word. Using derogatory pejoratives like loser, and vague inflammatory statements like "the President hates ___" are unambiguously off limits, and he knows this, but the use of accurately descriptive terms like liar are not, provided they're literally accurate.

This being my first born, I haven't dealt with this situation before, and it may bite me in the ass someday sooner than later, but it's the only approach that makes sense to me. I don't like the sound of my son calling the President a liar, but no more or less so than that being the case. I'm erring on the side of honesty and proper usage of terms, until compelling evidence points me in another direction.

Since the start of the campaign season, I've wondered about this, how parents will talk to their children about the President. I'm guessing most of the LR denizen parents have bumped up against this problem as well.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: How do you talk to your kids about the President's behavior? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know that I'd be upset if I heard from a teacher that he used the word. Using derogatory pejoratives like loser, and vague inflammatory statements like "the President hates ___" are unambiguously off limits, and he knows this, but the use of accurately descriptive terms like liar are not, provided they're literally accurate.

Maybe a "hate the sin, love the sinner" type of approach would be more appropriate for someone your son's age. It is one thing to point out that some statement is incorrect or untrue, another thing to say it's a lie, and still another to characterize the person who said it as a liar.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: How do you talk to your kids about the President's behavior? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that ship's already sailed. I caught him in two lies in two days, about a month ago, and I drove home a few basic concepts about what it means to lie repeatedly, how he would feel about people viewing him as a liar, how people generally feel about liars, etc. I laid it on pretty heavily, so it would be hard for me to correct him given how emphatically I made the point previously.

Quote:
It is one thing to point out that some statement is incorrect or untrue, another thing to say it's a lie, and still another to characterize the person who said it as a liar.

He understands the difference between making an unintentional incorrect statement and telling a deliberate lie, and the implications of doing so repeatedly. I don't encourage that language in general, but, again, describing the President as a liar is entirely accurate, so what's left to correct without adding confusion? I don't really like it, but I think people need to get more comfortable with truth telling in general. That doesn't obviate the need for tact and jujdgment, though.

Quote Reply
Re: How do you talk to your kids about the President's behavior? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is what I hope they learn:
1) That the world is NOT logical, fair, or humane
2) That there are many people that are NOT logical, fair or humane. That these "monsters" will be our bosses, co-workers, lovers and sometimes presidents.
Observe these people carefully... but stay the f#ck away.
Trump is a great learning opportunity!
3) The fact that life is monstrous and that there are monstrous people amongst us - is not an excuse to be illogical, unfair and inhumane oneself.
4) To the contrary, it is the monstrous nature of life that provides us the opportunity to stand out as human beings.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Feb 17, 17 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: How do you talk to your kids about the President's behavior? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't encourage that language in general, but, again, describing the President as a liar is entirely accurate, so what's left to correct without adding confusion? I don't really like it, but I think people need to get more comfortable with truth telling in general.

Well, it's one thing to understand the difference between an unintentional incorrect statement and a lie, and another thing to be able to determine with surety whether someone else is lying, or just wrong.

Take Trump's statement about having the largest electoral college margin of victory since Reagan. Definitely wrong. Was he lying? I have no doubt that many reasonable people think he was. I think he was just stupidly wrong, myself. Or take Obama's "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor" promise. A lie, or just something that unfortunately didn't pan out as he expected?

And then there's that distinction between a person who tells a lie and a liar. I understand the difficulty making the distinction here so soon after warning him against the consequences of lying for his trustworthiness. But just because it's true that if he habitually lies people will start to think of him as a liar doesn't mean that it's an acceptable thing to characterize someone as a liar, especially at age 8.

I think that you instinctively know that there's something wrong with a young child calling the president a liar, and that being technically correct about the charge doesn't really change that. There's also the question of respect for authority, and for adults. It really isn't a kid's proper place to be making judgements like that about an adult- it's beyond his competence to judge.

My .02 anyway. I think at that age I'd try to focus on the accuracy or inaccuracy of specific statements. Better at this point to teach him about charitable listening, I think.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your kid watches the news?

Quote | Reply
Sounds like you were watching CNN. Did you explain to him that many of the people calling the President are also liars? Did you tell him the other person that ran against him was also a liar? And, a liar in ways that actually matter, not just exaggerations or statements of 'fact' that weren't thought out ahead of time.

For myself, I view about 95% of Trump's 'lies' as silly bluster, exaggerations, and a lack of detailed study about what he is talking about. I haven't yet seen him lie about anything material, like the person he ran against. But, it could certainly be coming.

Your post really sounds like a back-handed way to demean Trump in the most 'innocent' way (What about the CHILDREN???!!!). There is a great thread going on about that right now (ripping Trump). All of the libs are in there hyperventilating and full of outrage about everything said in his press conference yesterday, although it may have died from everyone passing out. Haven't checked it lately. You could try this post over there and get lots of responses, I am sure.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: How do you talk to your kids about the President's behavior? [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Did you explain to him that many of the people calling the President are also liars? Did you tell him the other person that ran against him was also a liar? And, a liar in ways that actually matter, not just exaggerations or statements of 'fact' that weren't thought out ahead of time.
We talk about all of these things. I've said as much.

Quote:
Your post really sounds like a back-handed way to demean Trump in the most 'innocent' way (What about the CHILDREN???!!!).

Why bother with back-handedness? I have no reservations calling him out for what he demonstrably is, and there are numerous threads in which I could do exactly that. I know it's not the trendy thing these days, but some people actually mean what they say, or write.

The Clinton campaign released an ad (or was it Cruz?) that showed two kindergarten-age kids playing with dolls, one pretending to be Donald Trump, and mimicking his ridiculous and boorish behavior, while the parents watched in horror. The message echoed what I'd been thinking for months: you wouldn't tolerate that behavior in your own children, but we're considering rewarding it with the Presidency?

I grew up with Presidents Reagan and Bush Sr. I can't imagine being a kid and seeing this behavior as one of my earliest exposures to our nation's leader. I honestly question at times with whether or not I should expose them to coverage of his Presidency.

Quote:
You could try this post over there and get lots of responses, I am sure.

Or, if you have no children or thoughts on the actual topic, you could just move along.

Quote Reply
Re: How do you talk to your kids about the President's behavior? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's a big Steve Doocy fan.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two kids, 15 & 18 YO. In fact, I have considered starting a thread to collect opinions about just how far we, as parents, should go in teaching our kids values associated with Republicans or Democrats. Should we, as parents, 'brainwash' our kids into our way of thinking? Or, do we try to stay impartial and let them make their own decisions?

That's why I actually did read your OP with curiosity. Didn't mean to come off as snarky as I did in my response.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread reminds me of this scene from BoB. FWIW it sounds like you're trying to do the right thing with your boy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
and another thing to be able to determine with surety whether someone else is lying, or just wrong.

Obviously. And, having experience with 8 year old boys yourself, you know how that's an ongoing process of analysis and correction. He's thrown the term at his little brother for saying things that 4 year olds tend to say, because 4 year olds are insane and 8 year olds haven't fully figured that out yet. It's not a term I allow for his own independent application, yet. In this instance, and with Sec. Clinton, we've talked about it enough that he understands I agree with the description, even though I generally refrain from using the term.

Quote:
I think he was just stupidly wrong, myself.

We're back to the Stupid or Liar problem.[/url] I don't think it's necessarily an either-or proposition, though.

Quote:
Or take Obama's "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor" promise. A lie, or just something that unfortunately didn't pan out as he expected?

I'd presume the latter, with a heavy dose of unrealistic optimism. That's not to say I think he was an honest broker, though, and I explained to my son that it was a large part of my decision to support another candidate when he ran for reelection.

Quote:
I think that you instinctively know that there's something wrong with a young child calling the president a liar, and that being technically correct about the charge doesn't really change that. There's also the question of respect for authority, and for adults. It really isn't a kid's proper place to be making judgements like that about an adult- it's beyond his competence to judge.

Instincts and gut feelings are what lead me to reassess my choices, generally, but they're not necessarily indicators of right and wrong. They're mostly cues that what's happening is a departure from the norm. I'm inclined to teach my kids in ways that may break from tradition, provided that it's done responsibly and to their benefit. This treads a fine line, and as I said, it's not without constraints. We touched on this in a discussion with Barry, about whether a word can be used as a literal descriptor without being intended as an insult. I have no problem using descriptive terms like liar, or racist, or sexist, in cases where it accurately describes a person's pattern of actions or beliefs, and separating them from their utility as an inflammatory or derogatory insult.

If somehow David Duke were elected to the Presidency, would I be wrong in allowing him to describe the President as racist, given what we know about David Duke's beliefs? And could we not describe that characteristic as a reason why people shouldn't vote for him without the term being relegated to a political smear? I think it would be more appropriate, and less disrespectful, for a kid to call Duke a racist than it would be to call him a jerk, or an idiot.

Last edited by: sphere: Feb 18, 17 11:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are powerful conversations to have with your son. My boys are younger than yours but my wife and I work hard to teach them what's right and what's wrong and that morality isn't subjecting. As it relates to Trump I would explain that many politicians lie or say what they think they people want to hear in order to get votes or the public's approval. While I think it's a good thing to teach children to respect authority, like the president, those people do not determine our morality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Politics is a sorry lot to draw for trying to instill lofty morals in our children. The best way to explain politicians to kids is to keep the stories as farcical as possible for as long as possible.
Adults used to understand this. What politics did you understand at age 8?

I have older kids so I've bumped up against this, too. I think I've handled it similar to the way you did. I don't require my kids to think anything. I do require certain norms about what they say and how they say it. I don't want to hear any President being called a liar in my house -- Clinton, Bush, Obama, or Trump.

I told my kids that I know they (the kids) have lied, and I don't casually refer to them as liars either. So, they should welcome the etiquette.

Edited to remove ambiguity.
Last edited by: SH: Feb 17, 17 15:38
Quote Reply
Re: How do you talk to your kids about the President's behavior? [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking from the perspective of a person raised in a Pentecostal AOG church, and mrs sphere having come from a Catholic school background, we're both highly motivated to keep personal biases out of our parenting style, when it comes to politics and religion. If you teach a kid how to process information, rather than starting them from a predetermined set of ideas, I believe it allows them to come to ideas in their most natural course, regardless of whether or not it's a conclusion we'd arrive at.

A colleague grew up early in Taiwan, then later in the U.S. Her parents are nothing short of extraordinary by every measure. The most impressive story she told was how her parents never let her know their religious beliefs, or if the had any whatsoever, because they didn't want to bias her toward or away from her natural course. That's almost unimaginable in Western culture, and certainly runs counter to tenants of monotheistic religions that permeate it. She (now Christian) thought it was one of the most important decisions they made on her behalf. She idolized them and almost certainly would have adopted their beliefs had she known what they were, and probably would have never found the religion that ultimately felt right for her.

As a lifelong political independent, it's pretty easy to avoid inserting bias into their budding awareness of political philosophy. I mean, except for being thoroughly disgusted by just about everyone, lately.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems to me that, if you and your son are having these conversations, and if you're helping him determine where the lines exist between lies, half-truths, mistakes, etc then you're doing your job. I agree with Vitus that an 8 year-old frequently isn't able to tell the difference between those things, especially in the context of adult conversations about politics, law, foreign policy, and the like. However, if you talk to him about those subjects and have pointed out multiple occasions when you think the President lied, it's pretty hard for him not to recognize the pattern.

I think the best you can do is discuss these things with him, reinforce the idea that just because you think someone is a liar (or mean, or ugly, or any other negative characteristic) doesn't mean you should go around declaring that opinion, and continue to stress the fact that we respect the office of the President regardless of whatever personal flaws we see in the office holder.

Oh, and watch more monster trucks and dinosaurs and stuff that 8 year-olds usually like, because election news typically doesn't fall in that category.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should have him create a ST account and encourage him to get involved in LR threads. That'll learn him all he needs to know.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How do you talk to your kids about the President's behavior? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
You should have him create a ST account and encourage him to get involved in LR threads. That'll learn him all he needs to know.

He already has one. His online persona is that of a SoCal MMA surfer dude with a gif addiction.

Quote Reply