Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trump is costing a fortune to protect...
Quote | Reply
...a lot more to the tax payers than any president in history. How do you feel about this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...st-draw14&wpmm=1
Quote Reply
Re: Trump is costing a fortune to protect... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes me glad I am Canadian. Can't help think that the secret service is spread quite thin. Would seem to me a big security risk. Furthermore I don't accept the argument that no matter where the president is he is always working. How much work do you get done on the helicopter ride from WH to the plane. From plane to Mar A Longo. How do you meet up with important people when every day you are in a different place. I guess he has lots of time for tweets.

cerveloguy wrote:
...a lot more to the tax payers than any president in history. How do you feel about this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...st-draw14&wpmm=1

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's worth every penny...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't like it when Obama was doing it and I don't like it now either. If I recall, Michelle Obama had a convoy of about 30 people with her when she took trips to France and other European locales on my tax dollars.

Why in the hell do they need to spend that much on travel and security? Can't we get a better DEAL on this stuff now with the businessman running things?

Why in the hell is it the USA's job to protect his sons when they travel for their own business purposes? They should have their own private paid security detail. Electing Trump does not mean we pay for his son's to do business all over the world.

This sickens me from the Obama and from Trump. Makes me work harder to find ways not to pay taxes. I don't mind paying for Roads, and necessary services but as far as I'm concerned they are public servants not kings that can dip into the national till as often and as much as they want for vacations, golf outings etc. At least with Trump so far it has been work and not golf with Tiger Woods but its ridiculous.

Lastly, it's insane the Secret Service would pay 1.5 million to rent a floor or Trump tower just because Trump decides he likes to spend time there. Lining the kids pockets ( who now own the trump organization apparently) with my tax dollars.

Yes, it bothers me very much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of hand waving math and guesstimating in that article.

With that being said, I don't like his sons doing business using the American dime for travel and security.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump is costing a fortune to protect... [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't like his sons doing business using the American dime for travel and security. "

I would also have a huge problem with this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
A lot of hand waving math and guesstimating in that article.

With that being said, I don't like his sons doing business using the American dime for travel and security.

Are they traveling on taxpayer money (flight, hotel, meals, etc.) when conducting business? Or is it just the security detail?

I think the normal travel expenses -- things that they would have to pay for previously -- should be on their own dime. But the increased expenses and security requirements on account of their dad being the President seem justified to me. Just like any president's immediate family, they're now targets. Think of how someone could use them as a means of getting at the President.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also wonder if they have a choice in the matter? Could they hire their own security? Or, since they are part of the President's family, are they obligated to use Secret Service? I genuinely don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump is costing a fortune to protect... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why I said there was a lot of hand waving involved in that article. To me, it seemed they implied travel expenses were included, but I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump is costing a fortune to protect... [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like all things, each new President raises the level higher. Clinton rents out the land to build a hut on their NY property for the security detail to stay in. That's a fair chunk of change over the last XXOO years.

Each new regime raises the level of crap each term.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
This is why I said there was a lot of hand waving involved in that article. To me, it seemed they implied travel expenses were included, but I could be wrong.

It's not clear from that article. But the impression I got was that those travel expenses were tied to lodging, etc., for the Secret Service detail.

This month, The Post reported that Secret Service and U.S. Embassy staffers paid nearly $100,000 in hotel-room bills to support Eric Trump’s trip to promote a Trump-brand condo tower in Uruguay.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump is costing a fortune to protect... [Dan Os Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Os Fan wrote:
Like all things, each new President raises the level higher. Clinton rents out the land to build a hut on their NY property for the security detail to stay in. That's a fair chunk of change over the last XXOO years.

I'm not sure this is true. It's my understanding that the cost of protecting Bush Jr. and his family was higher than that of the Obamas, in part because Obama's entire family lived at the White House.

I think Trump will take it to a new level, one that won't be equaled by subsequent presidents. But it's not a significant issue to me, even though I think there are ways to reign it in.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump is costing a fortune to protect... [Dan Os Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Os Fan wrote:

I suppose you are right and at this point, I guess its best just to ignore it. The more you know, the more it ticks you off. Or at least it does me.

I guess I shouldn't care...its all just zeros and dollars signs...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose you are right and at this point, I guess its best just to ignore it. The more you know, the more it ticks you off. Or at least it does me.

But isn't that one of the reasons Trump won the election? People tired of the way things work in Washington where billions are frittered away while they have no job? It may not be a lot in the big picture of course but it sure sends a message that things haven't changed at all.

Quote Reply
Re: Trump is costing a fortune to protect... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

But isn't that one of the reasons Trump won the election? People tired of the way things work in Washington where billions are frittered away while they have no job? It may not be a lot in the big picture of course but it sure sends a message that things haven't changed at all.

Yes, and at least Trump claims to not be taking a salary for his job ( $400K) a year. Why there is even a salary for that position at all is crazy. You have every expense imaginable taken care of and you need 400K a year? How about we pay you the median income of the US at the end of your term for each year in office. That plus the over 100Million you get in expense money should suffice.

Most Trump fans won't care and honestly I don't know many that care about this expense issue very much. It seems to be truly bipartisan in that most say, "well he's the president, so we just have to deal with these expenses." It makes a cute talking point for some outrage by the other side on occasion but no one really cares.

Its the just the gall of having a 3.6 million dollar 4 day vacation ( Obama) or having rooms for 100K for the Trumps kid to do business for the Trump Organization.

To the earlier poster, the theory is sound that we can't have his kids getting nabbed in some far off country and held for ransom but if it is going to cost us this much in security, you have a choice, 1) deal with that risk, or 2) don't travel all over the world while your dad is president and maybe lay low a little bit. that sucks but oh well. He didn't have to run for president.

My pet peeve topic but makes about as much commotion as a fart in the wind on the national scale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If his companies are so lucrative, let them pay for his son's stuff. After all his business are likely to profit more until he pisses off the world. Be nice to see his tax returns and pro formats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feel mixed on it. On the one hand, we are subsidizing security for a jet setter. But on the other hand, he is the presidents immediate family. I'm sure many would love to kidnap a presidents child. And if you think he is unhinged now or has conflicts of interest, what do you think would happen if a child was kidnapped, murdered or ransomed? I also wasn't concerned with Michelle's security details, but was bothered by the taxpayer dime taking a 30 personal entourage of friends on her trips.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Yes, and at least Trump claims to not be taking a salary for his job ( $400K) a year. Why there is even a salary for that position at all is crazy. You have every expense imaginable taken care of and you need 400K a year? How about we pay you the median income of the US at the end of your term for each year in office. That plus the over 100Million you get in expense money should suffice.

Actually...

The government pays for state dinners and other official functions, but the president pays for personal, family and guest dry cleaning and food; the high food bill often amazes new residents

Presidents pay for their own lodging and food when on vacation. They get to fly free on Air Force One, but family has to reimburse the government for the cost of a normal coach ticket.

It's a great deal, but it's not like the president gets everything completely covered while in office. Heck the cost of dry cleaning 7 suits a week probably adds up.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Why there is even a salary for that position at all is crazy. You have every expense imaginable taken care of and you need 400K a year?

They don't have every expense paid for. For example, aside from State dinners or receptions for the diplomatic corps, the President pays for all his food, toiletries, dry cleaning, clothing, etc. Also, if they hold private parties at the White House, they're charged for food, hourly wages for wait staff or caterers, alcohol, setup and cleaning crews, etc. On vacations they generally pay for their own lodging. Not to mention they are working at the level of major corporate CEOs or higher, most of whom make millions of dollars per year.

$400K per year is apparently actually kind of low, given that historically, the Presidents have made about $1million in dollars adjusted for today's inflation.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Oh look, a Canadian has a problem with something a US President is doing, which has been done by every other US President. So he posts an article full of speculation and zero facts to make his point.

Yawn.

It must be really fucking boring up there.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump is costing a fortune to protect... [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Oh look, a Canadian has a problem with something a US President is doing, which has been done by every other US President. So he posts an article full of speculation and zero facts to make his point.

Yawn.

It must be really fucking boring up there.

Dude, I'm the messenger. Just asking how you Americans feel about this. And he's a hell of a lot more expensive than "every other president". I actually don't care that much about Trump other than how he may affect my country and the rest of the world since he's not my country leader. But my OMG, you Trumpaphiles sure can be sensitive.
Quote Reply