Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Feeling out of touch with your younger co-workers?
Quote | Reply
Had a meeting with my co-workers today, most in their mid-late twenties and some in their early 30's, and we were bitching about upper management.

Anyway I mentioned something about management = keystone cops and one of them turned to me and asked 'what's a keystone cop?' Man do I feel old...

What other generational differences do you guys see out there in the workspace?
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling out of touch with your younger co-workers? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it's their constant need to be attached to their phones, it drives me nuts.

I supervised a staff a few years ago and one guy came into my office to ask for help. As I was explaining it to him, his phone rang (they carry it in their hands if they move away from their desks) and it told me to stop, then he stepped outside to take the call. I picked up the file and walked out and put them back on his desk. After the phone he came back in and said he is now ready to listen and I told him to find someone else to help him.
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling out of touch with your younger co-workers? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the longest time I though this reference meant Pennsylvania cops were bungling and incompetent boobs because PA is the Keystone State.
Only later in life I corrected this misconception when I learned about the Black&White films that were the origin of the term.
Since then I've gotten to know a few actual cops from PA and my opinion has come full circle again.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling out of touch with your younger co-workers? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had patients do that! Never someone over 40. I get up and leave and see the next patient. I have no shortage of patients. Then I go back and see them after a while. If they complain I tell them that I had to leave as they were obviously too busy to see me because of their important phone call.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don't claim my fellow millennials but my apologies anyway for that. I am 31 and the same thing drives me effing nuts. I make it a point to ignore my phone, no phones at the table, when my wife is in the room I put the phone out of reach, etc. Have a buddy living with us who is 27, he is absolutely glued to that phone, wife is 29 and is almost as bad. Guess I am just an old guy.

I have no idea what a Keystone Cop is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four posts in and no one complaining about how lazy millennials are?

I'm a male in my early 30's and work mostly with older women. Besides small talk outside of work stuff I don't feel out of touch. I know there are a few old-style ones that feel there should be no flex in work hours (8-5), when we are all salaried and not shift work. It does help that my boss is the 60yr old lady who is blasting Metallica in her office and frequently goes to rock concerts.

As for keystone cops...I was thinking Keystone Ice, the preferred drink when I was in college. I had to look up keystone cops.

On the phone addiction, I feel its about equal as far as age. I know I could be better.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Feb 17, 17 9:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Had a meeting with my co-workers today, most in their mid-late twenties and some in their early 30's, and we were bitching about upper management.

Anyway I mentioned something about management = keystone cops and one of them turned to me and asked 'what's a keystone cop?' Man do I feel old...

I reference movies/music, events from the 80's and 90's all the time that are lost of the early 20 something students who I teach.
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling out of touch with your younger co-workers? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without looking it up, who is this singer from the 80's?

ThisIsIt wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

I reference movies/music, events from the 80's and 90's all the time that are lost of the early 20 something students who I teach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see this with people of all ages. With the exception of my mom, only because she still has a flip phone from the 90's.

Sanuk wrote:
For me it's their constant need to be attached to their phones, it drives me nuts.

I supervised a staff a few years ago and one guy came into my office to ask for help. As I was explaining it to him, his phone rang (they carry it in their hands if they move away from their desks) and it told me to stop, then he stepped outside to take the call. I picked up the file and walked out and put them back on his desk. After the phone he came back in and said he is now ready to listen and I told him to find someone else to help him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:

ThisIsIt wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

I'm going to say Debbie Gibson, but I'm not 100% sure. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, she was a blonde. I bet it comes to me at some point. Don't tell me. I was into heavy metal but exposed to all of these singers via MTV.
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling out of touch with your younger co-workers? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

ThisIsIt wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

I'm going to say Debbie Gibson, but I'm not 100% sure. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, she was a blonde. I bet it comes to me at some point. Don't tell me. I was into heavy metal but exposed to all of these singers via MTV.

Tiffany

"I Think We're Alone Now"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tiffany?
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling out of touch with your younger co-workers? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have no idea what a Keystone Cop is. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8jphxpi1ro
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:

You know that's not really generational, that's just a knowledge gap. The keystone cops were long before almost anyone alive was around :)

My students don't seem to know classic rock very much either, but in fairness that was before my generation as well and I still happen to know a bit about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From both directions:
I told one of my 23 year-old contract employees that I had her on speed-dial and would call her as soon as I needed her. She had no idea what speed-dial was. I meant to say I had her phone number on my phone, which I realize is redundant today.
My marketing rep, who is 58, told me she borrowed her friend's camera to take some pictures at an event we sponsored, but was waiting to get the film developed before I would see the pictures. Seriously did not shoot the pics with a digital camera or a phone.

Dana Carvey has a special on Netlfix right now and has some good bits about millenials.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:

Pretty sure it's Tiffany. I don't really know what a Keystone Cop is.

I am almost 42. I use my phone way too much. However, I would never answer it while talking to someone else.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 46 and am probably in the upper 3rd of the age group categories in my office, most are younger, mid-20's to mid-30s. Though we have one young guy, just turned 20, a whiz bang Java developer, who almost daily tells us he has no idea what we're talking about.

I don't see with our younger 3rd age group the constant nose in the phone habits, but that could be they spend most of the day already staring at a screen.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you could email him a link to the video.
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling out of touch with your younger co-workers? [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elvis Runner wrote:
From both directions:
I told one of my 23 year-old contract employees that I had her on speed-dial and would call her as soon as I needed her. She had no idea what speed-dial was. I meant to say I had her phone number on my phone, which I realize is redundant today.
My marketing rep, who is 58, told me she borrowed her friend's camera to take some pictures at an event we sponsored, but was waiting to get the film developed before I would see the pictures. Seriously did not shoot the pics with a digital camera or a phone.

Dana Carvey has a special on Netlfix right now and has some good bits about millenials.

My Dad had a rotary dial telephone in his barber shop long after they had given way to the push button ones. He always got a kick out of young people asking to use it and then needing to ask him how to use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling out of touch with your younger co-workers? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Four posts in and no one complaining about how lazy millennials are?

Ha, I work with a handful of 20-somethings and it just varies by person. One gal is extremely lazy (zero initiative, does nothing proactive, has to be told to do things multiple times, comes in late/leaves early, etc.), doesn't take career advice, acts surprised when she doesn't get the promotion. The other is extremely driven, pays attention to career queues and has gotten an unsolicited promotion. I think it's more of a personality and drive thing though, not necessarily their age or generation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can understand not getting the Keystone Kops reference. I'm 52 and while I heard of them and knew them to be clueless cops, I don't recall ever seeing them.
But I was running with some late 20 year-olds around the old Maxwell Street area near U of I in Chicago and pointed out the police station where the opening scene of Hills Street Blues was filmed. These 20 somethings had never heard of Hills Street Blues (an '80s TV show for those of you here who haven't heard of it).
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling out of touch with your younger co-workers? [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to mess with these kids from now on by dropping references to Laurel & Hardy or Buster Keaton.

I can almost guarantee dollars to donuts that one of them will say "Buster Keaton, wasn't he the sucky Batman?"
Quote Reply