Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP Maximisation While Obese
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I'm 17 weeks into a training regime on zwift (from almost nothing barring a few jogs in 2013 since late teens).I started with an ftp of 184 and that rose to 300 last saturday.For the two weeks before that I began racing a day then taking the following day off.In that 2 week period my ftp improved from 294 to 300 which is much less than before.I'll now see what a fortnight without racing will do.Strava 'estimated ftp' says 319 but it said 309 last week and I couldn't do that (first time).What is the right balance between racing and training or should I just continue sweet spot riding until the 6 months is over and try to maximise ftp in that time? (Meaning is that first 6 months of training special and any training effect 'lost' is harder to achieve afterwards?).At my heaviest I was 104 but was 99.5 on october 22nd and my lowest was 90.6 last week.I need to be below 88.8Kg to leave obesity (I'm 5'8'').Any tips appreciated.I have knee problems so cycling is the least painful option.I didn't think cyclists were fit but since learnt otherwise.I turned 52 in early October.I've never heard of a fat man being at his fittest but unlike running I'm sitting down doing this.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP Maximisation While Obese [StephenS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, are you using a real power meter or virtual power?

184 to 300W is a huge gain and you should be very pleased with that. However, you have to remember that the easy gains come early and for every Watt you put onto your FTP, the next Watt becomes that little bit harder. People with an FTP around 300W would usually be very happy to see a 5-10W gain every 6-8 week training block, so this is the ballpark around which you should perhaps be setting your expectations. That might seem like a tiny amount compared to what you've achieved so far, but that's the reality.

The good news is that with an FTP of 300W you're going to be burning a lot more calories for every hour you're working out. Perhaps you should be focusing on your "Watts per kg" as an incentive for losing weight.

As for training vs racing, it all depends on what's going to get the most out of you. I think most people would agree that a structured training plan with the right amount of volume and intensity that pushes you to your limits will elicit the best training response, but if you find that kind of workout boring and you're going to skip sessions, you may as well substitute in a few races, real or virtual.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP Maximisation While Obese [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.It's a Tacx Vortex Smart trainer.I was hoping I wasn't reaching my ceiling because it's going to take me a year to get it all off.Pringles and fry ups constantly fighting a rear guard action.I'm not the last of the 'B' riders because I can give out 98%-100% of ftp effort each race and some others don't but I'd rather do what's best for 'end' fitness.(Get into the 'A's' with enough ftp to stay there a few years).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've done really well to get this far - congratulations!

First up, a 300W FTP is pretty handy, especially at 52. If you're 5'8, and can get below 80kgs you should have no problems at all racing masters at A Grade level with that kind of power. The main thing here, is patience. If you keep up the lifestyle and diet changes that got you this far, then the weight will come off with time, a little more each training cycle.

If you need extra encouragement, I recommend jumping off the trainer and heading to the hills because there's nothing better than knowing you're getting up a little faster each time. You've done well to get a good base level, now it's time to gradually start considering power to weight. Just remember that it will come off with time and don't try and rush things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a very impressive gain! Congrats!

You'll always see you largest gains when you just begin structured training and you saw quite a remarkable gain! If you're plateauing somewhat, that's normal. If you want to keep improving your FTP you might want to look at the specific structure of your training (are you following a specific plan or just riding on Zwift every day? If you're following a plan, what does the structure look like?). So long as you remain consistent with your training you can knock out 5 watts improvements every 3-6months and you'll learn to be proud of the fight you have to put up to gain those 5 watts :) So long as you stick with your training and clean up your diet you'll find the weight will fly off. You can burn a *ton* of calories cycling without beating up your body too badly.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP Maximisation While Obese [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
       Average 5 rides per week and 4.5hours overall? https://www.strava.com/athletes/17570889 I live in a village at the foot of Dartmoor so hopefully at the end of the 6 month period (april 8th) the weather will be warm enough for a once or twice a month ride over the moors.I just ride and it usually ends up around 90% intensity.I like going fast up the hills.Looking at the 'fitness and freshness' tab the races were a flatline period.I took monday-wednesday off with a cold and then set my best time up box hill with 337 watts so that is what made the 'estimated ftp' go up again.I'll probably take an ftp test next saturday but take two days rest beforehand and aim slightly lower so if I feel good I can speed up.

I took this vo2max questionnaire https://www.worldfitnesslevel.org/#/report and it said mine was 46.I'm as fit as the average 44yo.My Vdot as a boy was 64 and an athletics coach friend suggested I could improve my time to the equivalent of 70 back then with proper training.The question is how much I have left.I saw a study referenced wherein several 50 plus athletes had an average? vo2max of mid 50s and some more so there's hope.All my races lasting around an hour were within 2 or 3 watts of ftp so I'm not sure if 2x20's would help?
Quote Reply