Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM Removalable Spider Compatibility
Quote | Reply
Anyone tried installing an SRAM S900 spider on a Force 22 crankset? Currently setting up a new bike, looking to go to shorter crank arms. Currently running a GXP S975 (Quarq left over) with a 110BCD to run a Powertap C1. Looking to purchase a Force 22 BB30. From everything I am seeing, it should be a straight swap out of the spider. The older spider should shift the ramp pin to the correct position.

Anyone know if there will be any clearance issues with a Force 22 BB30 and a C1 with the older model spider? Besides the hidden bolt design, I don't see any difference in comparing pictures.
Last edited by: shoff14: Feb 17, 17 3:50
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Removal Spider Compatibility [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the biggest issue may be whether you have the 3 bolt spider(older) or the 8 bolt spider(newer/current)
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Removal Spider Compatibility [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The spider on my S975 is a 3 bolt, but the chain ring bolt is unhidden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
question is....is the force22 an 8 bolt spider?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done nearly exactly this, except that the spider on my Quarq was a Riken provided as a warranty replacement on my original S975 crank, and I was going from BB30 to GXP. I bought the Force 22 GXP to let me get rid of the shitty BSA30 adaptors I was having to use in my old P3C, and to shorten the crank arms.

Things worth knowing;

1) The original threadlocker will be as stong as Arnie. You can weaken it by heating it up - a soldering iron placed into the top of the bolts does the trick.
2) Torque wrench needed for refitting, the bolts need to be torqued up progressively. Also the bolts are Torx heads (can't remember the size off top of my head).
3) You will need a long bit extender for your torque wrench. Because the x3 bolts are so close to the crank spindle your torque wrench head will almost certainly foul against it. You need a long enough extender to bring your wrench head out above the axle, if that makes any sense.

I actually have the official Quarq/SRM illustrated procedure that they provide to their dealers somewhere on my computer. If you PM me your email I can ping it over (assuming I can find it!).

Ta,
Rich.
Last edited by: knighty76: Feb 17, 17 3:30
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Removal Spider Compatibility [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have taken the spider off once or twice before after my Quarq took a dump. Installed the Powertap with little issues. So GXP to GXP works, are the spiders the same for GXP and BB30. New bike is BB30, would like to stay with the 30mm spindle and no GXP adapters.

PM sent for your instructions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to say 100% for sure in case there is a version of BB30 Force 22 crankset without the 3 bolt spider/crank interface (but I don't think there is..). I believe them to be interchangeable. As above, I was able to swap from an older S975 BB30 to the Force 22 GXP using the same spider, the interface was the same. I didn't have any issue with the "hidden bolt" pattern, either. But I did move the drop pin from one hole to another, to line it up with the crank arm.

If the Force 22 BB30 cranks have 3 bolts on the inside, it'll work.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Removalable Spider Compatibility [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did this today.

I had a 110 BCD regular SRAM Spider on my CX1 crankset (same as the force 22 you have).
I transplanted the quarq from a GXP to my BB30 CX1 crank on my 1x road bike without an issue. 3 torx on the back of the spider attach the Drive Side arm to the spindle. Standard 1x chainring bolts worked just fine. Only thing I noticed is that the "hidden" bolt is no longer hidden with this older generation of quarq. Still works and looks great!

Before/After

Last edited by: kppolich: Feb 17, 17 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Removalable Spider Compatibility [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the chain catch pin line up with the crank arm?
Quote Reply