Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Champion clincher tire (Vittoria CS) beats old Crono CS tubular (barely) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Xavier wrote:
jens wrote:

It would be great if Xavier of Aerocoach could produce a little hard data showing that Jet+ and Corsa Speed is the bomb. Otherwise, I'm probably going old school with the 808+tubular. The other advantage of that setup is it gives me a slight "funny-bike" advantage, with the front end being 5-10mm lower.

I've been training on a Jet 9 front and Jet 9+ rear with Conti TTs. They're excellent for training because of puncture resistance but the Corsa Speeds knock them out of the park for CdA and Crr, it's just an excellent combo. We have some public data on the way from one of our team riders who was using a HED3 front with Bonty 19mm Aerowing and the Jet9+ & Corsa Speed utterly destroyed it. Hoping to get it out on the FB page this week along with other stuff that we tested (he rides a Zipp 3001 so people were interested in his CdA data!).

The data we collect in our test sessions with clients is strictly confidential, and we don't ever publicise who's come to our sessions unless agreed beforehand, so everything is kept quite under wraps. What I will say is that we've sold ~£15k worth of wheels in the past 8 weeks alone since riders have tested with us and seen for themselves how good that J9+/CS combo is (and people do tend to turn up with really nice kit!).

Well, to be fair...when using a combined aero drag + Crr evaluation, that's not a very high bar to clear. Just switching the Bonty 19mm to an SS20 on an H3 "utterly destroys" it (H3 w/Bonty 19mm AW, that is)...

The combined difference was far more than that above, all the exact numbers will come out in a bit

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Last edited by: Xavier: Apr 24, 17 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: Champion clincher tire (Vittoria CS) beats old Crono CS tubular (barely) [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What width? I have Jet+ 9 on front and hesitant to use 23mm (Corsa Speed Tubeless) on the front as I'm 193lbs. Is 25mm Corsa Speed on the front a large aero penalty?
Quote Reply
Re: Champion clincher tire (Vittoria CS) beats old Crono CS tubular (barely) [TTrider4921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTrider4921 wrote:
What width? I have Jet+ 9 on front and hesitant to use 23mm (Corsa Speed Tubeless) on the front as I'm 193lbs. Is 25mm Corsa Speed on the front a large aero penalty?

Any opinions or experience by heavy riders? I've done a TON of reading on this site and out of all the things I've read hardly anyone mentions their weight. If I was normal size ~150lbs I would definitely give the Corsa Speed Tubeless a go but my weight at ~190lbs makes me second guess that....
Quote Reply
Re: Champion clincher tire (Vittoria CS) beats old Crono CS tubular (barely) [TTrider4921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTrider4921 wrote:
Any opinions or experience by heavy riders? I've done a TON of reading on this site and out of all the things I've read hardly anyone mentions their weight. If I was normal size ~150lbs I would definitely give the Corsa Speed Tubeless a go but my weight at ~190lbs makes me second guess that....

What's the concern - the slightly higher tire pressure you'd run at a higher weight? 190 is well within any design spec. I don't think you're pushing any sort of boundary.
Quote Reply
Re: Champion clincher tire (Vittoria CS) beats old Crono CS tubular (barely) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wasn't sure if the added weight (of ~30%) would substantially increase the chances of sidewall cuts etc.

My experience for the past several years has been latex tubes on GP5000 25mm at ~70/75psi and no flats. I was planning to go to Corsa Speed G2.0 Tubeless 23mm front 25mm rear at ~85-95psi range (on Jet+ wheels.)

Substantial pressure increase on fragile tires is just a bit scary to me. This is for Knoxville TT Nationals.

-Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TTrider4921 wrote:

Substantial pressure increase on fragile tires is just a bit scary to me. This is for Knoxville TT Nationals.

I think you should be absolutely fine. I've run that sort of pressure for years now (though I'm ~165, not 190), no problem.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 3, 21 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TTrider4921 wrote:
My experience for the past several years has been latex tubes on GP5000 25mm at ~70/75psi and no flats. I was planning to go to Corsa Speed G2.0 Tubeless 23mm front 25mm rear at ~85-95psi range (on Jet+ wheels.)

What is the road surface like? From the videos I've seen it looks like good asphalt (in which case you should be running higher psi anyway) but that might not be the whole story...

Will you set up the tires tubeless?
Quote Reply
Re: Champion clincher tire (Vittoria CS) beats old Crono CS tubular (barely) [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road surface looks good across the entire course (but google street view won't show Union Valley Rd section.) There are a few potholes down the main stretch but those seem to be avoidable.

The only rough section I can see from street view is this patch which is along a fast downhill sweeper to uphill at up to ~40mph. Those images were from 2015 so maybe it's been paved. Going there soon to see the course in person.

This recon doesn't account for any un-swept or dirty turns with gravel/rocks etc - which seems there may be a few per street images.

I plan to setup tubeless front & back

Last edited by: TTrider4921: Jun 3, 21 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be totally fine using Corsa Speeds there. The roads are closed to traffic right? Good pavement and you can use the whole lane, so it should be easy to avoid bad spots (if there are any). Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Champion clincher tire (Vittoria CS) beats old Crono CS tubular (barely) [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep closed roads and follow cars allowed to (at least per one picture I saw of 2019.)

Thank you! That little bit of peace of mind helps.
Quote Reply

Prev Next