Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did Anyone Listen Today's Press Conference... [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
He doesn't care if it is true or not. It makes for a better story. Being true or false is not even in the equation.
EC votes being largest since Reagan? Hey, that would make me popular. 9th circuit overturned 80% of the time? Those guys are wrong. Have to put the travel ban in place instantly instead of a week notice? Those guys are scary.

You can call him out all day long and it doesn't faze him. Because he doesn't care.

Ask a black woman to schedule a meeting with the black caucus since all black's know each other? He's just fucking with her to get a rise out of her.

Someone asks what his plans are for Russia? Neener, neener, neener. I know something you don't know.

We have an 8 year old internet troll as president. He doesn't care what he says that is offensive or stupid. He knows a bunch of what he says isn't trues and says it just to get under people's skin. As long as you pay attention to him he is happy and most of the worst stuff is done just to get a rise out of people. I'm surprised he doesn't go up to the reporters waving his hands close to their faces while chanting, "I'm not touching you."

Exactly.

It was also completely consistent with his behavior during the campaign.

I believe it was a politically effective performance by Trump. What do I know, but I did predict he would win the Presidency last spring.

Don't go to a Metallica concert and complain that they did not play Streisand covers.

To me there are two questions. First, how long will people expend time and effort discussing Trump being Trump. (That is good for him -- it helped him to get elected and helped him to get Sessions and DeVos confirmed.) Second, will this act continue to be effective for him?

TheForge suggests that this latest performance was counter productive. I disagree. I think he's gotta keep riding the horse that brought him here. He will lose his base only if he cannot deliver on the things that he promised them. His actions of the past few weeks show that he knows what he must do. Will be interesting to see if he can continue to deliver. I predict that he will succeed in delivering what he promised and also predict that the media and the opposition will continue to pick the wrong battles.

I'm not saying he has to dial back to what most would call normal. But dial it back. That thing was over the top by my incredibly low standard of what over the top is. It certainly will play to his base, and didn't really bother me. But if I'm second guessing it, what are less extreme people doing that aren't necessarily partisan?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Listen Today's Press Conference... [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No, I said or meant to say that those who are elected are using their elected position to create wealth for themselves on the back of the taxpayer. Look at their net worth before being elected and after.

I see no reason our elected officials should be given health care and a pension or the right to enrich themselves, their family and friends.

do you think appointing even richer people will solve the problem? you think they wont seek to enrich themselves?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Listen Today's Press Conference... [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to get home at the end of the day to watch the news to see what lunacy is happened.

I do give credit for entertainment. For the last 2 years, Trump has easily been my biggest source of comedy and he has made politics interesting. I often get up and wonder what lunacy is ahead today and he rarely disappoints. It's now impossible to point at crazy leaders around the world and say that could never happen here.

Thanks Trump.

Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Listen Today's Press Conference... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
So you guys who follow this stuff, was there any good reason to ask the black reporter to set up the meeting with CBC? I would assume if Trump wanted to meet with him there's a bevy of staffers that set this sort of thing up.
Seems really awkward of the all black people know one another stripe of clueless sort of relatively benign racism.

Well, that was the reporter that asked the question about the CBC. So, yes, there was a good reason.

I read the news conference as a transcript. So I had no idea what color the questioner was, and in that light Trump's question was totally unremarkable.
I'm getting used to people seeing "awkward relatively benign racism" that isn't there. It's a great way to slander the other side, so I understand.
Last edited by: SH: Feb 17, 17 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Listen Today's Press Conference... [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
People talk about the shit show, the real shit show is what our federally elected officials have been doing for themselves and to the American public, 20T in debt, killing small business start up, getting involved in education, driving up cost and at the same time driving down quality, regulating health care to an un-affordable level while reducing availability and quality of care.

I think people are delusional if they think there is any way to substantially bring down healthcare costs in the near future. Medicine is too good and getting better all the time and that innovation costs a lot. Then we have an aging, unhealthy population. I just can't see how when you take those factors into account healthcare costs are going to come down even if you made it as efficient and cost-effective as it could possibly be, and we know that's not going to happen.

Easy answer, like in every other industrialized nation:

(1) take out the profit motive of the insurance companies.
(2) standardize the cost structure for everyone for any given procedure.

Medicare for all (single payer) is coming - it might be 5 years from now, or 20 years from now, but it will happen. As it should.

I don't disagree but I'm skeptical that it will lower health care costs that much again given are aging, unhealthy population and the constant advancement in medical technology. Just one example, if Ventricular Assist Devices become standard for the millions of Chronic Heart Failure patients we now have because medicine is keeping alive people with heart disease it's going to cost a fortune. I think we will be doing well if we can just stabilize the cost.

Of course the best solution would be for most people to become regular exercises who eat healthy and don't smoke or use other drugs to excess, but fat chance of that happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Listen Today's Press Conference... [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
So you guys who follow this stuff, was there any good reason to ask the black reporter to set up the meeting with CBC? I would assume if Trump wanted to meet with him there's a bevy of staffers that set this sort of thing up.

Seems really awkward of the all black people know one another stripe of clueless sort of relatively benign racism.

Well, that was the reporter that asked the question about the CBC. So, yes, there was a good reason.

I read the news conference as a transcript. So I had no idea what color the questioner was, and in that light Trump's question was totally unremarkable.
I'm getting used to people seeing "awkward relatively benign racism" that isn't there. It's a great way to slander the other side, so I understand.

You think that Trump's request to a journalist to set up a meeting between the President and the Congressional Black Caucus was "totally unremarkable"? Beyond the fact that this journalist was black, that's just totally bizarre. The *only* reason he did it was because she was black. Period. To say otherwise is mental gymnastics on an Olympic level.

Trump didn't even listen to the entire question. If you listened to the conference as I did, you'd have heard him interrupt her as she was adding the Congressional Hispanic Conference to the CBC as groups that wanted to meet with him.

QUESTION: Well, when you say the inner cities, are you going — are you going to include the CBC, Mr. President, in your conversations with your — your urban agenda, your inner city agenda, as well as —
TRUMP: Am I going to include who?
QUESTION: Are you going to include the Congressional Black Caucus and the Congressional —
TRUMP: Well, I would. I tell you what, do you want to set up the meeting?
QUESTION: — Hispanic Caucus —
TRUMP: Do you want to set up the meeting?
QUESTION: No — no — no. I’m not —
TRUMP: Are they friends of yours?
QUESTION: I’m just a reporter.
TRUMP: Well, then(ph) set up the meeting.
QUESTION: I know some of them, but I’m sure they’re watching right now.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we will be doing well if we can just stabilize the cost.

Indeed - my guess is that overall health-care costs are going to go up dramatically in the next 20+ years. Think about it. The first wave of baby-boomers the biggest cohort in the population is just entering senior-hood, and the generation behind the boomers, are the first generation that because of poor lifestyle, health and fitness choices, will live LESS than previous ones, you have a healthcare cost tsunami that is about to sweep ashore. But I hear exactly ZERO politicians ever talk about this.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

So you didn't see the interaction? You would learn nothing from the transcript. Verbal tone and body language was the communication. She asked a legitimate question. Trump's response was confrontational and belligerent. Same for the way he treated the Jewish reporter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
cholla wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
People talk about the shit show, the real shit show is what our federally elected officials have been doing for themselves and to the American public, 20T in debt, killing small business start up, getting involved in education, driving up cost and at the same time driving down quality, regulating health care to an un-affordable level while reducing availability and quality of care.

I think people are delusional if they think there is any way to substantially bring down healthcare costs in the near future. Medicine is too good and getting better all the time and that innovation costs a lot. Then we have an aging, unhealthy population. I just can't see how when you take those factors into account healthcare costs are going to come down even if you made it as efficient and cost-effective as it could possibly be, and we know that's not going to happen.

Easy answer, like in every other industrialized nation:

(1) take out the profit motive of the insurance companies.
(2) standardize the cost structure for everyone for any given procedure.

Medicare for all (single payer) is coming - it might be 5 years from now, or 20 years from now, but it will happen. As it should.

I don't disagree but I'm skeptical that it will lower health care costs that much again given are aging, unhealthy population and the constant advancement in medical technology. Just one example, if Ventricular Assist Devices become standard for the millions of Chronic Heart Failure patients we now have because medicine is keeping alive people with heart disease it's going to cost a fortune. I think we will be doing well if we can just stabilize the cost.

Of course the best solution would be for most people to become regular exercises who eat healthy and don't smoke or use other drugs to excess, but fat chance of that happening.

Agree that stabilizing costs is difficult, but we must at least try. And certainly agree with your last point about lifestyle changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Listen Today's Press Conference... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I think we will be doing well if we can just stabilize the cost.

Indeed - my guess is that overall health-care costs are going to go up dramatically in the next 20+ years. Think about it. The first wave of baby-boomers the biggest cohort in the population is just entering senior-hood, and the generation behind the boomers, are the first generation that because of poor lifestyle, health and fitness choices, will live LESS than previous ones, you have a healthcare cost tsunami that is about to sweep ashore. But I hear exactly ZERO politicians ever talk about this.

And there seems to be little emphasis on the fact that most health care dollars go toward treating preventable diseases that occur due to lifestyle. Sure some heart disease and cancers will just happen but if by some miracle we suddenly had a healthy lifestyle population, COPD would all but disappear, heart disease rates would drop significantly, many cancers would become much rarer, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Listen Today's Press Conference... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Did anyone else watch the press conference and think it was a SNL skit?

I bet these guys did a double-take..

http://www.independent.co.uk/...istake-a7574891.html
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Listen Today's Press Conference... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't you show the whole conversation?

She is asking the question if he's met with the CBC. Trump asks her to set the meeting up, because he's ALREADY tried. Then Trump goes through an explanation of his attempt to set up the meeting. The same reporter even CONFIRMS Trump's assertion. You are the one with the mental gymnastics, and the one leaving out a lot of important context.

Quote:
Reporter: When you say inner cities, are you gonna include the CBC, mr. President, in the conversations with your urban agenda, your inner city agenda, as well as—
Trump: Am I gonna—am I gonna include who?
Reporter: Are you gonna include the Congressional Black Caucus and —
Trump: Well, I would. I tell you what, you want to set up the meeting? Do you want to set up the meeting?
Reporter: No, no, no I'm just a reporter.
Trump: Are they friends of yours?
Reporter: I know some of them —
Trump: No, go ahead, set up the meeting. Let's go. Set up a meeting, I would love to meet with the black caucus. I think it's great, the Congressional Black Caucus, I think it's great. I actually thought I had a meeting with Congressman Cummings, and he was all excited, and then he said, oh, I can't move. It might be bad for me politically. I can't have that meeting. I was all set to have that meeting. You know we called him and called him. And he was all set. I spoke to him on the phone, a nice guy.
Reporter: I hear he wanted that meeting with you as well.
Trump: He wanted it. But we called called called called. I can't make a meeting with him. Every day, I walk in, I said, I would like to meet with him, because I do want to solve the problem. But he probably was told by Schumer or somebody like that, some other lightweight.
He was probably told — he was probably told, don't meet with Trump. It's bad politics. That's part of the problem in this country. Okay. One more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Why don't you show the whole conversation?

She is asking the question if he's met with the CBC. Trump asks her to set the meeting up, because he's ALREADY tried. Then Trump goes through an explanation of his attempt to set up the meeting. The same reporter even CONFIRMS Trump's assertion. You are the one with the mental gymnastics, and the one leaving out a lot of important context.

Quote:

Reporter: When you say inner cities, are you gonna include the CBC, mr. President, in the conversations with your urban agenda, your inner city agenda, as well as—
Trump: Am I gonna—am I gonna include who?
Reporter: Are you gonna include the Congressional Black Caucus and —
Trump: Well, I would. I tell you what, you want to set up the meeting? Do you want to set up the meeting?
Reporter: No, no, no I'm just a reporter.
Trump: Are they friends of yours?
Reporter: I know some of them —
Trump: No, go ahead, set up the meeting. Let's go. Set up a meeting, I would love to meet with the black caucus. I think it's great, the Congressional Black Caucus, I think it's great. I actually thought I had a meeting with Congressman Cummings, and he was all excited, and then he said, oh, I can't move. It might be bad for me politically. I can't have that meeting. I was all set to have that meeting. You know we called him and called him. And he was all set. I spoke to him on the phone, a nice guy.
Reporter: I hear he wanted that meeting with you as well.
Trump: He wanted it. But we called called called called. I can't make a meeting with him. Every day, I walk in, I said, I would like to meet with him, because I do want to solve the problem. But he probably was told by Schumer or somebody like that, some other lightweight.
He was probably told — he was probably told, don't meet with Trump. It's bad politics. That's part of the problem in this country. Okay. One more.

Well then we would have to show the reply that everything Trump said about how it was called off was a lie. No meeting was even set. And how it was delayed is a bald faced lie.

“I was all set to have that meeting,” Trump said.
Cummings “was all excited and then he said, ‘Oh, I can’t move it. It might be bad for me politically. I can’t have that meeting.’”
“He was probably told by Schumer — or some other lightweight — ‘Don’t meet with Trump, it’s bad politics,'" the president said.

Cummings disputed Trump’s account and insisted he remains eager to discuss “the skyrocketing price of prescription drugs” with the president.
“My goal was to finalize our proposal to allow [the Department of Health and Human Services] to negotiate lower drug prices so I could present it to the president,” he said. “The president has said many times that he supports this proposal, so I wanted to have our bill ready to get his support.”

No meeting had been officially scheduled.

Cummings’s name came up at Trump’s presser after the president was asked if he’d involve the CBC in crafting his inner-city agenda, which seemed to surprise the Maryland lawmaker, a former CBC chairman.

“I also sincerely have no idea why the President made this claim in response to an unrelated question about the Congressional Black Caucus. I am sure members of the CBC can answer these questions for themselves,” he said.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Listen Today's Press Conference... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Cummings disputed Trump’s account and insisted he remains eager to discuss “the skyrocketing price of prescription drugs” with the president.

Well, that is obviously not from the transcript. What we have at this point are conflicting accounts, not proof that what Trump said was a bald faced lie. So you're jumping the gun.

Also, Cumming's quote is very odd considering the context of Trump's presser, the reporter's question, and Trump's answer had NOTHING to do with “the skyrocketing price of prescription drugs”.
That's a famous technique politicians like Clinton used to use in order to lie. They would say something nonsensical that was technically true, but designed to misled the audience. For all I know Trump does this too, but we've got Cummings doing it in this example.

Edit: Anyway, I'm glad to see we are leaving the awkward racism and the mental olympics behind, and moving on to other parts of the story.
Last edited by: SH: Feb 17, 17 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cummings can eat a dick. That guy is a total POS. He rose through Baltimore's political machine to become a congressman for the same area. There is no way that guy isn't morally bankrupt and corrupt. And only in the Democratic party could a guy like that maintain the position that he is in based solely on seniority. Clearly the people in his district only vote for him because of the color of his skin, and his relationships with the local pastors who pretty much tell their flock how to vote. Funny how its ok for Black Pastors to talk politics and influence their vote, but democrats call for other churches to loser their NFP status if they do the same.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Listen Today's Press Conference... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
And not come away thinking Trump is bat shit bonkers?

I watched it. I thought Trump was in his element and having a great time. He talked about a lot of policy. A lot. But let's see how much of that gets out via the press in the room.

Not only that, he talked about the best policy. The very, very best. Nobody has better policy. And he cares about the policy. Deeply. Deeply. Nobody cares about this best policy as much as he does. He's the best carer.

Well, I wouldn't go that far.

By the way, have I passed you yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget that the letter from the CBC that supposedly asked for a meeting was just a list of grievances with Trump's positions, not a request for a meeting, nor any indication of desire to work together. Fake news there. Oh, and are these some of the folks who boycotted the inauguration contending he was not legit?

If the CBC wants input, all they have do do is send a letter saying, "Mr. President, we want to move on from our past disagreements and meet to explore ways to work with you." Send it and publish it in the NYT.

They'd be in the door the next day -- Trump would love the photo op. But the CBC doesn't want it.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Don't forget that the letter from the CBC that supposedly asked for a meeting was just a list of grievances with Trump's positions, not a request for a meeting, nor any indication of desire to work together. Fake news there. Oh, and are these some of the folks who boycotted the inauguration contending he was not legit?

If the CBC wants input, all they have do do is send a letter saying, "Mr. President, we want to move on from our past disagreements and meet to explore ways to work with you." Send it and publish it in the NYT.

They'd be in the door the next day -- Trump would love the photo op. But the CBC doesn't want it.

Here's the easiest way to determine who is probably lying about the fabled meeting...

Which politician has the most to lose by actually meeting with the other? That's the politician that's probably lying about why the meeting isn't happening.

Is there any doubt that Trump meeting with Cumming would be a huge plus for Trump and a net negative for Cumming and his party?

Edit: missed my chance... Please go with "yuuuuuge plus for Trump".
Last edited by: SH: Feb 17, 17 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. And again, the reporter's question was stupid. Dumb. Trump's response was hilarious.

Edit to add, as most don't get it: Trump wasn't seriously asking her to set up a meeting. He said that instead of saying, "Dumb reporter, they are entrenched against me and don't want to meet."

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Last edited by: H-: Feb 17, 17 14:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Yes. And again, the reporter's question was stupid. Dumb. Trump's response was hilarious.

Actually I didn't think the question was dumb. Trump was talking about a lot of black people (and others) living in the "hell" of inner cities, and the reporter wanted to know if he'd started to do anything about it -- specifically if he'd met with the CBC, which would be a start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

If the meeting was only supposedly asked for how was it cancelled? Which is the point Cummings was making. There was no meeting scheduled.

Trump is the one claiming a meeting was cancelled at the direction of Schumer. You've got to work had to keep up with Don's stories.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You've got to work had to keep up with Don's stories.

Who can do that, or who wants to?

But I think it is part of his plan. Sessions A.G., DeVos Ed, and today Pruitt EPA. All seeming to slip in without too much coverage -- at least from what I see. I'm thinking that most liberals gotta be thinking, Ted Cruz might have been better than this guy, and couldn't have been worse.

Did Obama stop warming before he left office? Or why is there no environmental thread here about Pruitt?

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

But I think it is part of his plan. Sessions A.G., DeVos Ed, and today Pruitt EPA. All seeming to slip in without too much coverage -- at least from what I see. I'm thinking that most liberals gotta be thinking, Ted Cruz might have been better than this guy, and couldn't have been worse.

Did Obama stop warming before he left office? Or why is there no environmental thread here about Pruitt?

I was watching something on TV the other night and there was a promo for Samantha Bee's awful TV show. She showed a clip of Sanders and Cruz having a civil debate and then switched to Trump. She said something along the lines of "Why couldn't we have Cruz?" Well the answer is because you and your ilk did everything you could to discredit Cruz and all the other decent candidates. And if he had been elected, you would be talking about what an awful person he is.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Listen Today's Press Conference... [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
H- wrote:
Quote:

I was watching something on TV the other night and there was a promo for Samantha Bee's awful TV show. She showed a clip of Sanders and Cruz having a civil debate and then switched to Trump. She said something along the lines of "Why couldn't we have Cruz?" Well the answer is because you and your ilk did everything you could to discredit Cruz and all the other decent candidates. And if he had been elected, you would be talking about what an awful person he is.

No, no, a thousand times no. The Republicans have to stop pretending that anyone but Republican primary voters were responsible for nominating Trump. Obama didn't do it, Clinton, Bee, Maher, Jon Stewart, Jesus himself, none of them did it. You get to take all the credit. How could her ilk have made Republicans vote for Trump unless you are saying Republican voters went for Trump because Democrats mocked him more than the others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL as to what rick said.

Now as for your comments, especially:

Quote:
unless you are saying Republican voters went for Trump because Democrats mocked him more than the others.

That is one of those comments that is just ridiculous and at the same time scary because it may be true.

All I can say is: I represent that remark.

________
Quote Reply

Prev Next