Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose
Quote | Reply
If given the choice between Hed Jet Plus Disc Wheel or Zipp 808 with an Aerojacket, which would you choose?
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.velonews.com/2016/10/bikes-and-tech/no-tubulars-needed-martin-wins-worlds-with-clincher-tires_422800

^^ Tony Martin

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Feb 16, 17 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good read. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends, do you have any races where a rear disc is not allowed? If so then the 808 w/cover. If not I'd vote the HED disc.

The use market you can get a HED Jet disc and potentially a used 808 for the same price as one of either brand new though (if you are savvy or lucky enough).

FWIW I do have a HED Jet disc (original wide C2 not the the "plus" version).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
If given the choice between Hed Jet Plus Disc Wheel or Zipp 808 with an Aerojacket, which would you choose?

I own both. Until Hed made its own "bump disc", the 808 with a cover was the fastest disc I ever had and I tried them all, flat Zipp, Sub 9, Lightweight, Mavic, Accel......

If your races all allow covers, I would go with the 808 and cover. I think it's slightly faster being a little more lenticular. It's also easier to maintain. Jet Discs are pretty easy to dent or get a wave in and there's no easy way to fix that. With an aerojacket, you just get a new one.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with option #3: Jet 9 Plus/Black with an aerojacket.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
I own both. Until Hed made its own "bump disc", the 808 with a cover was the fastest disc I ever had and I tried them all, flat Zipp, Sub 9, Lightweight, Mavic, Accel......

If your races all allow covers, I would go with the 808 and cover. I think it's slightly faster being a little more lenticular.

Ok, I'll be the first to bite. Did you test the disc vs. the covered 808 in the wind tunnel?

-------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 808/cover beat the sub 9 (Zipp'a bump disc) in the tunnel by 2 or 3 w. (sorry can't remember if it was 2 or 3w)

To the OP: The other thing to consider is what bike you are sticking that disc in. The more shielded or aero the frame like the better a flat disc will do vs a bump disc. The less aero the frame the better a bump disc will serve you.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
The 808/cover beat the sub 9 (Zipp'a bump disc) in the tunnel by 2 or 3 w. (sorry can't remember if it was 2 or 3w)

Cool that you actually tested this in the wind tunnel. I only knew it from field testing.

desert dude wrote:

To the OP: The other thing to consider is what bike you are sticking that disc in. The more shielded or aero the frame like the better a flat disc will do vs a bump disc. The less aero the frame the better a bump disc will serve you.

I never had a precise way to field-test yaw conditions. However, I got the sense that the disc cover really outperformed in cross-wind conditions -- even in a P3C.

BTW, I never used the button thingies to hold the covers on. Instead, I taped them on with electrical tape. On a good day, I could tape on each side with a single piece of tape, carefully curved all the way around the cover. I don't know for sure, but suspect this was slightly more aero since it made a smoother transition between the wheel and the cover.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Feb 17, 17 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Ok. So I think what we should take away from this is that a manufacturer should essentially mold their disc in a similar shape to craft the fastest wheel on the market.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AeroJacket Disc Cover fitted to Hed Jet 9 Plus Wheel

Having never ridden a rear disc wheel before and following extensive and significant research I finally purchased an AeroJacket disc wheel cover from Wheelbuilder.com. The marketing eventually got me… My goal was to increase my average speed on the bike by 1km/hr for triathlon racing and to stop getting passed by those whomp whomp disc wheels.

Recently I raced with the AeroJacket disc cover for the first time in an Olympic distance triathlon. Race set up; Bike - Quintana Roo Illicito, Continental GP 4000S11/23mm tyres, 90 psi, Giro advantage 2 aero helmet, sleeveless tri suit using a Garmin edge GPS computer (nil power meter).

For the past 3 years on the same 40km bike course I have recorded a best time of 1hr:03mins on a set of Reynolds Aero 90 wheelset (fantastic wheelset) and worst time of 1hr:05mins on a set of Hed Jet 9 plus wheelset (current wheelset).

With the AeroJacket disc cover fitted to the rear Hed Jet 9 plus wheel on the same course in similar environmental conditions as per previous years I recorded the time of 1hr:09mins for the 40km bike course. Not good as I had to run for my life to make the podium.

Since this triathlon race I have performed 3 x 100km test rides with the AeroJacket disc cover fitted to the Hed Jet 9 plus wheelset averaging only 31.5km/hr. Note, I rode with a standard road bike helmet (non-aero) and standard cycling apparels (no skin suit). Generally on this 100km training course riding with the Hed Jet 9 plus wheelset I average a min of 33km/hr.

Since removing the AeroJacket disc cover my average speed of 33km/hr over 100km course has returned riding the Hed Jet 9 plus wheelset.

I know this is not a scientific test but my experience using the AeroJacket disc cover which is slowing me down. Very disappointed with my purchase.

Possible Factors for the reduction in speed (My thoughts)

· Increased rear wheel weight (you can definitely feel the increased weight of the plastic AeroJacket disc covers fitted to the bike.

· AeroJacket disc cover not compatible with the Quintana Roo Illicito frame design.

Quintana Roo Illicito marketing – the Illicito frame design enables concentrated airflow from the front wheel to be re-directed from the dirty, drag-producing side (drive side) of the bike to the clean side (non-drive side) of the bike. This shift moves 86% of the airflow away from the drag-producing drivetrain. The Illicito eliminates the seat stay on the bike opposite the drive side.

· Don’t produce enough power to ride with the AeroJacket fitted.

· Hed Jet 9 plus wheelset is not aerodynamically compatible with the AeroJacket disc cover. I felt with the disc cover fitted I was riding with a parachute.

Prior to purchase I contacted Hed Cycling re advice on fitting the AeroJacket disc cover to their wheels however I did not receive a reply. I also contacted Reynolds who informed they would not recommend fitting the AeroJacket disc cover to their wheelsets.

That’s my AeroJacket disc cover review, it appears I’ve wasted my money as the AeroJacket has not produced an increase speed for me and has been returned to its merchandising box.

Having only owned two sets of deep section wheelsets the search for the relentless pursuit of speed continues. The Reynolds Aero 90 wheelset has been slightly faster in training and race results than the Hed Jet 9 until the hub (DT Swiss 240 Internals) imploded requiring the purchasing of the HED wheelset.

Reynolds Aero 90 wheels are far more stable in cross winds then HED Jet 9 which requires constant wrestling in strong winds. ENVE and Reynolds claim their deep section wheelsets are as fast as some disc wheels! The search is on for a faster deep section wheelset…Perhaps the new Reynolds Aero 80 wheels may be the solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose [Turtle14472] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious what has happened with your wheel choice and your search of speed etc.

Still have your HED wheels? Did you get a rear disc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED is faster and 3x times cheaper than ZIPP.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still train on the Hed Jet 9 although the China virus 🦠 scamdemic has stopped racing this year!!! I sold the disc cover. I find the Hed Jet 9 Wheel-set require a considerable effort to get up to speed and my best average speed over 90km 70.3 Ironman bike course is 36.6km/hr. With my previous Reynolds Aero 90 Wheel-set I achieved just above 37km /hr and these wheels were very stable in cross winds. After considerable research and listening to pro riders a rear disc wheel IMO is suitable for a powerful rider with average speed above 42km/hr. The Hed Jet wheels are well made however i have travelled many kms on them and the wear indicator on the aluminium brake track is now barely visible indicating these wheels are coming to their end is life. The marketing hype over the new Bontrager Aeolus RSL 75 TLR Disc Road Wheel sounds interesting although so is the price. End of the day you need oxygen in your longs and power in your legs to push the watts…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced on Jet Plus 9 front and back for a few seasons and bought a HED Jet plus disc and I am noticeably faster with the disc on the back.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose [Turtle14472] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turtle14472 wrote:
although the China virus 🦠 scamdemic has stopped racing this year!!!

Take the birther conspiracy theory kinda shit over to this forum where it belongs homeslice......... https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...C1/Lavender_Room_F4/
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet Disc Plus vs Zipp 808 with Aerojacket - Which would you choose [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you still on the set, or have you moved onto something else?
Quote Reply