Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Feb 16- A day without an Immigrant Fed 17- General Strike Day
Quote | Reply
So tomorrow is "A Day without and Immigrant" as a protest to DJT and his immigration policies.

I'm curious to see how this play out across the country, especially when Friday is a Strike for Democracy day. Add in the Monday Federal Holiday and I see a 4 or 5 day weekend in some people's future.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Feb 16- A day without an Immigrant Fed 17- General Strike Day [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On Friday, February 17, 2017, Strike4Democracy will coordinate over 100 strike actions across the United States, and beyond, to plan for a series of mass strikes to stand up for America’s democratic principles. As the nation suffers through ICE raids, travel bans, Trump’s mobilization on the border wall, as well as attacks on the rights of workers, women, people of color, the LGBTQ+ community, and our environment, February 17th provides a beacon to those who are searching for a way to protect and defend our shared humanity. People across the country have begun to realize that we must diversify tactics, as protests and marches are only the first step. Strike4Democracy amplifies a new chapter of nonviolent resistance ushered in over the last six weeks.

Did they forget anybody?
Quote Reply
Re: Feb 16- A day without an Immigrant Fed 17- General Strike Day [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Did they forget anybody?

Those who don't get paid time off to strike?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Feb 16- A day without an Immigrant Fed 17- General Strike Day [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On Friday, February 17, 2017, Strike4Democracy will coordinate over 100 strike actions across the United States, and beyond, to plan for a series of mass strikes to stand up for America’s democratic principles. As the nation suffers through ICE raids, travel bans, Trump’s mobilization on the border wall, as well as attacks on the rights of workers, women, people of color, the LGBTQ+ community, and our environment, February 17th provides a beacon to those who are searching for a way to protect and defend our shared humanity. People across the country have begun to realize that we must diversify tactics, as protests and marches are only the first step. Strike4Democracy amplifies a new chapter of nonviolent resistance ushered in over the last six weeks.

So I get some of these, like obviously immigration is hot-button now, and the EPA stuff with climate research. But where are the attacks on worker rights, women, people of color, and the alphabet? Didn't Trump include in an EO that recent legislation around LGBTQ rights in the workplace would NOT be rolled back and he supports them? What gives, why are they pissed?
Last edited by: Brownie28: Feb 15, 17 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: Feb 16- A day without an Immigrant Fed 17- General Strike Day [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo. I made the mistake of reading the rest of it. I wonder what would happen if you asked if you could bring your gun to their strike since we are supporting constitutional rights and all...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't show up for work the INS will know you are an immigrant...Interesting dilemma, especially if you are here illegally.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Feb 16- A day without an Immigrant Fed 17- General Strike Day [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
At least one D.C. charter school, LAMB Public Charter School, will be closed Thursday because staff members and students will be protesting.

I'm a bit surprised that a public charter school can close for something like this, even if it is Latin American Montessori Bilingual school.

Maybe I don't understand how Public Charters operate, but I thought they were funded by taxpayers like public schools with a separate board from the public school system. Seems a bit odd.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

Quote:
At least one D.C. charter school, LAMB Public Charter School, will be closed Thursday because staff members and students will be protesting.

I'm a bit surprised that a public charter school can close for something like this, even if it is Latin American Montessori Bilingual school.

Maybe I don't understand how Public Charters operate, but I thought they were funded by taxpayers like public schools with a separate board from the public school system. Seems a bit odd.

Charter schools in the DC area are a joke. Congrats, you got out of that lowly public school so that you can get an equally dismal education at a charter school that will most likely close during your stay there because someone kept hitting the petty cash a bit too hard.

Maybe we should just throw more money at charter schools since that approach has worked so well with public schools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
So tomorrow is "A Day without and Immigrant" as a protest to DJT and his immigration policies.

I'm curious to see how this play out across the country, especially when Friday is a Strike for Democracy day. Add in the Monday Federal Holiday and I see a 4 or 5 day weekend in some people's future.

There's gonna be a lot of terminations on Friday and a lot of work for the labor lawyers on Monday!!!

USA! USA! USA!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Feb 16- A day without an Immigrant Fed 17- General Strike Day [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
jmh wrote:

There's gonna be a lot of terminations on Friday and a lot of work for the labor lawyers on Monday!!!

USA! USA! USA!

Will Panera be open if there are no workers? Existential question of the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Feb 16- A day without an Immigrant Fed 17- General Strike Day [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
jmh wrote:

USA! USA! USA!

Will Panera be open if there are no workers? Existential question of the day.

Dunno, but you will still be drinking your coffee made from JSA poo water!

Enjoy!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
Quote:

Did they forget anybody?

They seem to have forgotten about Hillary rigging the Democratic primary. That was not very democratic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
Quote:
On Friday, February 17, 2017, Strike4Democracy will coordinate over 100 strike actions across the United States, and beyond, to plan for a series of mass strikes to stand up for America’s democratic principles.

Did they forget anybody?

Those that democratically elected The Don?

So its democratic if your side wins the electoral college votes but loses the "popular vote", but if the shoe is on the other foot, its undemocratic?

Same kind of think happened here (Australia) quite a few years ago (1998 actually)
John Howard won the election by winning 54% of the seats of parliament, despite only polling a bit over 49% of the vote.

The left side of politics jumped up and down for a bit, but then got over it.

I blame twitter and face palm. Gives a voice to too many people who should just STFU and get on with life
Last edited by: Andrew69: Feb 15, 17 17:09
Quote Reply