Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what?
Quote | Reply
Now things are about to get interesting:

WASHINGTON — Russia has secretly deployed a new cruise missile that American officials say violates a landmark arms control treaty, posing a major test for President Trump as his administration is facing a crisis over its ties to Moscow.

The new Russian missile deployment also comes as the Trump administration is struggling to fill key policy positions at the State Department and the Pentagon — and to settle on a permanent replacement for Michael T. Flynn, the national security adviser who resigned late Monday. Mr. Flynn stepped down after it was revealed that he had misled the vice president and other officials over conversations with Moscow’s ambassador to Washington.

The ground-launched cruise missile at the center of American concerns is one that the Obama administration said in 2014 had been tested in violation of a 1987 treaty that bans American and Russian intermediate-range missiles based on land.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go on a Twitter rant directed at a yet-to-be-determined department store and/or entertainment figure?
Quote Reply
Re: Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you question what Obama did about it in 2014?

The ground-launched cruise missile at the center of American concerns is one that the Obama administration said in 2014 had been tested in violation of a 1987 treaty that bans American and Russian intermediate-range missiles based on land.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like the Russians won the cold war afterall.

Amazing!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every now and then somebody has a name that I think is pretty spiffy. Velocibuddha, I like that.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what? [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:

You mean did he question the economic sanctions, travel bans and asset freezes enacted on Russia in 2014? I think what he is suggesting is that Trump won't do anything. Because, you know, that "Rouge" National Security Adviser told the Russians as much...
Quote Reply
Re: Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what? [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:

Do you understand the difference between "test" and "deploy"?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

They both violate the very same treaty.

I don't remember if we did anything of substance about the 2014 violation other than send Putin a letter complaining about it. I could be wrong about that. Anyone know for sure?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So you have no comment about the incident that happened now or is it more important to go back 3 years to make sure there was exactly the same concern so you can rest easy?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:

Did you?

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

They both violate the very same treaty.

I don't remember if we did anything of substance about the 2014 violation other than send Putin a letter complaining about it. I could be wrong about that. Anyone know for sure?

It's kind of nice that Trump can skip the letter BS and just bring it up to Putin in his weekly briefing.
Quote Reply
Re: Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
justgeorge wrote:

Yep. And whatever Obama did or didn't do in 2014 obviously had no effect.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
justgeorge wrote:

Did you?
Nope. Don't even remember hearing about it.

Did you?

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
klehner wrote:
justgeorge wrote:

Yep. And whatever Obama did or didn't do in 2014 obviously had no effect.

Well that's difficult to say really. Maybe if the administration then hadn't formally protested the treaty violation, Russia would have fielded this system much earlier. Maybe if the administration had declared that we'd no longer honor the treaty and we're going to field our own missiles, Russia would have been pleased with that since it would have given them an easy way out of a treaty they didn't want to be part of. Maybe, since Pres Obama protested the testing in 2014, and Sec Clinton was seen as a continuation of his policies, Russia might not have fielded the system right now. Maybe they're testing to see what Pres Trump will do. Maybe, maybe, maybe,.....

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they sent a spy ship near a US sub base. They were just waving to say hi right? I expect a tweet saying how friendly those Russian sailors are.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/02/15/russian-spy-ship-spotted-near-us/97939010/
Quote Reply
Re: Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are always maybes, but the reasonable conclusion is that Obama's strongly worded letter about the treaty violation was ultimately useless.

Not blaming Obama, and not intending this as a "but Obama" defense. But the fact is that we don't have much leverage here, and not a whole lot of reason to take any serious action. Which is the same situation Obama was in with the initial treaty violation, as well as the annexation of Crimea. There's just not much to be done about it.

All that leaves is Trump's superior deal making skills to rely on . . .

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Russia violates arms control treaty. Donald does what? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Looks like they sent a spy ship near a US sub base. They were just waving to say hi right? I expect a tweet saying how friendly those Russian sailors are.

http://www.usatoday.com/...ed-near-us/97939010/

If you are going to post a link, would you mind taking the time to make it a hot link?

It's really not that hard. If you don't know, ask, I'll be happy to share.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply