Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman AWA Gear
Quote | Reply
So I ended up in AWA Bronze in 2016. My wife was really proud of the accomplishment and ordered me an AWA Gold t-shirt. I explained to her that I didn't earn Gold Level, but we both like the gold shirts more. I'm torn about exchanging it for a standard AWA shirt because I did not earn Gold even though the Gold shirts are much nicer IMO. Would it be in poor taste to keep the shirt or should I exchange it based on the color meaning? Part of me feels it's a misrepresentation even though virtually nobody really knows different or gives a damn.
Last edited by: mwanner1: Feb 14, 17 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman AWA Gear [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am old school, if you didn't earn it you don't wear it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

mwanner1 wrote:
So I ended up in AWA Bronze in 2016. My wife was really proud of the accomplishment and ordered me an AWA Gold t-shirt. I explained to her that I didn't earn Gold Level, but we both like the gold shirts more. I'm torn about exchanging it for a standard AWA shirt because I did not earn Gold even though the Gold shirts are much nicer IMO. Would it be in poor taste to keep the shirt or should I exchange it based on the color meaning? Part of me feels it's a misrepresentation even though virtually nobody really knows different or gives a damn.

So you want to be the guy wearing a shirt proclaiming an award you didn't earn?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Feb 14, 17 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a gift, I'd keep it.

My wife went on a cruise to Hawaii without me and when she came home she brought me an IM T-shirt from when they were on the big Island. So it says Kona on it, and it says Iron Man, although I've never qualified for Kona and never done the race.

On the rare occasion I wear it out of the house, were somebody to actually recognize it for what it is and ask me about it I'd just explained that it was a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a shirt. Who cares what anyone else thinks about you wearing it?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was AWA gold in 2015....didn't race in 2016 and still getting e-mails.

Basically there are guys who are over an hour faster (AG champions/ Kona Q) who are bronze because they only raced 1 or 2 races.

It is a frequency/loyalty program not a performance metric.

2C enjoy the shirt ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman AWA Gear [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
This

Plus, it's just a marketing gimmick, not some indicator of your worthiness as a human being. If you like it, and she likes it, wear it.
If coca-cola did a campaign that required you to collect 100 bottle caps to be classed as "coke-master", would you resent anyone walking around in a coke-master T-shirt who hadn't collected the caps? Nah. Same thing.

I wouldn't judge someone for wearing a T-shirt they didn't "earn". I might judge someone for thinking it mattered.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman AWA Gear [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

This

Plus, it's just a marketing gimmick, not some indicator of your worthiness as a human being. If you like it, and she likes it, wear it.
If coca-cola did a campaign that required you to collect 100 bottle caps to be classed as "coke-master", would you resent anyone walking around in a coke-master T-shirt who hadn't collected the caps? Nah. Same thing.

I wouldn't judge someone for wearing a T-shirt they didn't "earn". I might judge someone for thinking it mattered.

Where can I get that 'Coke Master' t-shirt?!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman AWA Gear [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you earned it ... ? lol
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman AWA Gear [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:

Oh yeah! But on sheer consumption of diet coke rather than collecting bottlecaps. I would wear it proudly ... and more often than an AWA T-shirt which I will never buy.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman AWA Gear [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
WD Pro wrote:

Oh yeah! But on sheer consumption of diet coke rather than collecting bottlecaps. I would wear it proudly ... and more often than an AWA T-shirt which I will never buy.

You may not buy one but someone may buy one for you. If so, just own it like I plan to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am AWA Gold this year and was Bronze last year. No matter who gave me the shirt, I would use it for bike cleaning and nothing else. The whole program is a joke in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman AWA Gear [swimslikeabike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a OWA (One World Athlete) as I've never been to ALL the other worlds yet......
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman AWA Gear [swimslikeabike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimslikeabike wrote:
I am AWA Gold this year and was Bronze last year. No matter who gave me the shirt, I would use it for bike cleaning and nothing else. The whole program is a joke in my opinion.

Yet you found it necessary to post your "accomplishment". Congratulations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you wear the Medal Of Honor?

/pink

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman AWA Gear [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Yet you found it necessary to post your "accomplishment". Congratulations.

Post about the accomplishment, and give everyone he knows a reason to never buy him a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd wear it... it's a shirt, a gift and you like it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman AWA Gear [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
I'd wear it... it's a shirt, a gift and you like it.

Good, simple advice. I plan to keep it. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman AWA Gear [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify I don't post out of envy. And being AWA whatever is not an achievement. I am not proud of my air miles or credit card points either.
Quote Reply