Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me layout a good running program
Quote | Reply
I am looking for advice on how to lay out A good running program.I am a UPS driver with a very rural route And I walk between 11 and 15 miles a day delivering packages. This severely affect my running as my legs are shot by the end of the week.So please help me Layout a program. I'm looking for a plan That wouldn't work for a 70.3 race. Last year doing sprints in Olympics I only did two runs a week one short and fast and one long and slowHowever I do not think this would get me the mileage I need for a 70.3.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Feb 14, 17 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: Help me layout a good running program [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone is going to reply with something about BarryP., so I might as well just put the name out there and work with that. I think one of the biggest takeaways from that is to not discount the short, easy runs as an important part of training. Realistically, if you are putting in decent miles on the bike and in the pool, as well as all of the walking that you do, you don't need to run much more than 30 miles a week (peak mileage) to see results. I'd look at a 6-day running plan, something along the lines of:
Mon. off, Tues. 6, Wed. 3, Thurs. 3, Fri. 6, Sat. 3, Sun. 9, with Wed, Thurs, Sat, and Sun being slow/easy days with 200/400s on Tues. and Mile repeats at HM pace on Fri. with warmup and cooldown.
Mind you, this would be a peak running-mileage week, with the bulk of your training somewhere in the 20 mile week range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know your ability or time goals, but I'd get the Daniel's Formula book, read it, and follow his 10K workout plan and just do two quality runs per week (fast intervals and tempo). The book lists three quality workouts per week, but in your case I'd cut it to two since that walking adds up, plus you'll be biking and swimming. Then add a long easy run when you have time (Sunday?) which will progressively build up to your half marathon distance. Finally, sprinkle in shorter easy runs during the week so that your weekly mileage adds up to about 25-35 mpw. I think all that walking will add to your training stress so maybe don't push past 35 miles per week? Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me layout a good running program [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Never heard of BarryP till last night. I will check both of these options out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've found the BarryP plan to be similar to Daniels. So either is good. I just like to use the Daniels book for my run plan because I'm lazy and he lays out each specific workout interval-by-interval so I don't have to do it, although they can be severely challenging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a link to the BarryP program?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Novice runner here - race experience is a 2008 and 2016 (very slow) marathon.

I am currently starting week 3 of a custom 16-week 70.3 plan that I made. For the running I decided to try out BarryP's concepts. I want to be running 6 days a week, even if some runs are only a mile. I realize that BarryP's plans are meant for a much longer duration, but I decided to start even with a race coming up. I am also increasing mileage quicker than he recommends but I need to in the short time I have.

Here is what my running mileage looks like. I am also swimming and biking 3 days each.

T W T F S S M
0 1 4 1 4 1 6 | Total: 17
0 1 4 1 4 1 7 | Total: 18
0 1 4 1 4 1 8 | Total: 19
0 1 3 1 3 1 6 | Total: 15 (recovery week)
0 2 5 2 5 1 9 | Total: 24
0 2 5 2 5 1 10 | Total: 25
0 2 5 2 5 1 11 | Total: 26
0 1 4 1 4 1 7 | Total: 18 (recovery week)
0 3 5 3 5 2 12 | Total: 30
0 3 6 3 6 2 13 | Total: 33
0 3 6 3 6 2 14 | Total: 34
0 2 5 2 5 2 8 | Total: 24 (recovery week)
0 4 6 4 6 2 14 | Total: 36
0 4 6 4 6 2 14 | Total: 36
0 2 3 2 3 1 6 | Total: 17
0 1 2 1 1 Race on Sunday

Last year when I was training for a marathon I could only handle running four days per week because I was pushing too hard. I was running too fast in general and doing too many hill workouts and too many speed workouts.

My weekly totals for marathon training ended up being: 18, 5, 12, 24, 21, 19, 22, 20, 24, 32, 28, 35, 31, 40, 28, 16. This is a lot lower mileage than I should have done but I did what my body could handle.

I am going to start focusing on slower runs 6 days per week and really ramp up the mileage. I feel like my 70.3 training is even more running than my marathon training, even with all of the swimming and biking I am still running more. We will see how it goes.

I have found so far that running slower feels better at the time. I can finish a run and throw in an extra mile just because I feel so good. That never happened before the way I was running. Also throughout the week my body does not feel like shit and my quality of life seems better. It is too early yet to really say for sure if it is working for me but I have hope.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply