Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.... Ok ... after restarting my 920 (turning on and off) .... it seems to be working fine now. Weird .. as I always do a restart after any install.

I did contact Garmin and chatted with a representative and he stated that they have heard "Zero" complaints with regard to battery drain arising from the newest update.

I am hoping my watch is back to normal (fingers crossed) as I love it and use it to keep track of all my training. If it goes back to this battery drain I will definitely post.

Cheers, Yadal
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [Yadal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first use after the update, it saved the workout and promptly went into an infinite loop of 'updating' screen. Totally frozen. Had to do the soft reset just to turn it off. Maybe that saved me from the battery drain problem as I had to restart after that. No battery issues - used it for the Tour of the Sufferfest last week - nine stages and, I dunno, 12 h of use or so (indoor, no GPS). Still, maybe 45% left...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [Yadal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are no reports in the Garmin 920XT forum about battery issues since the latest update. And people there are not backward in coming forward with problems.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had battery drain a few times with my 920 over the last 6 months. I keep hoping the next software update will fix it. I've also had it just freeze on me. A hard reset normally works but the other is to put it on charge and it seems to sort itself out. I've changed none of the settings since the first month of having it in early 2015.

It's a shame because it is a great watch that I wear everyday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be able to quantify things, I charged my watch to 100% last night, taking it off the charger at 7:30pm. I powered it off then back on right after.

I'll run it down as close to fully drained as possible, and report back here when that is, and the actual activity recording time during that period. Maybe the quick battery drain is all in my head.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issues after update that I noticed.

But I think wifi and BT both seems more receptive / faster / less hands on from me. So pretty happy with it so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine seems to be fine now too.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
Just to be able to quantify things, I charged my watch to 100% last night, taking it off the charger at 7:30pm. I powered it off then back on right after.

I'll run it down as close to fully drained as possible, and report back here when that is, and the actual activity recording time during that period. Maybe the quick battery drain is all in my head.

So, after removing my watch from the charger at 7:30pm on the 13th, I wore it pretty much 24-7, and tracked 3 activities;
an outdoor run on the 14th (47 minutes elapsed),
an indoor run on the 15th (45 minutes elapsed), and
a pool swim on the 15th (53 minutes elapsed).
This morning when I woke up the battery symbol was completely empty, but I figured I'd wear it until the watch shut off. I took it off to do a trainer ride, and at 12:30 pm it was still powered on, so I threw it on the charger. On the charger it said "0%" when I plugged it in (it never did give me a low power warning).

That's about 62 hours of stand-by time and 2:25 of recording time.

So, is this inline with what others are seeing? I recall travelling for work and not bothering to take the charger with me unless I was going to be gone for a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! I didn't link it to the update at the time, but starting a few days ago I definitely noticed the battery going down much quicker than before.

ETA: I don't use any ConnectIQ stuff. I also didn't restart the watch... Will try tonight.
Last edited by: nchristi: Feb 17, 17 0:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading this thread the other day and posting... I went and looked at the software on my watch... it was still 9.1. I guess it didn't update? Although it stated it had update and then drained... was also doing some other "glitchy" stuff. The drain went away after I restarted it but there have been some weird things... so I upgraded it formally to 9.2.

Among other things... the stroke recognition appears to be way off. It used to report me as swimming freestyle but now it has me doing four different strokes in a set. Got a funny text from my coach though... if I get to a good software version I think I'm going to lock in there.

These updates seem to be a mixed bag... WiFi doesn't work, missing swim lengths, lock ups, battery drains...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:

These updates seem to be a mixed bag... WiFi doesn't work, missing swim lengths, lock ups, battery drains...

Which is really strange, because I update mine every single time and am current now, and have had not one single issue with the watch. So bizarre.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^^Same here^^^^ I'm not a good swimmer by any stretch of the imagination ~2:00/100m but rarely lose a stroke even when I start coming apart at the end of a 3500m set. Wifi works, one or two lock ups over the years but a restart has remedied that and what battery drain?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this issue too, but now my watch won't even start back up with a master reboot. Completely stumped.
I too experienced the major drop in battery life. Went from 48% at 10am and woke up at 5am with a battery that reported -1% and the phone was bussing continuously. I forced it to shut off via a reset, and then charged it. Phone is no longer showing a charge screen and master reset isn't working.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange indeed... do you keep your fit files on your device or clean them off from time to time?

That seems to be a variable and something Garmin often ask users to clear when they have system issues.

I've never cleared my fit files, I have about 10 run workouts, one swim workout and one bike course saved to it. Otherwise I have a run of the mill 920xt as far as I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [Craigthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craigthomas wrote:
I had this issue too, but now my watch won't even start back up with a master reboot. Completely stumped.
I too experienced the major drop in battery life. Went from 48% at 10am and woke up at 5am with a battery that reported -1% and the phone was bussing continuously. I forced it to shut off via a reset, and then charged it. Phone is no longer showing a charge screen and master reset isn't working.

On occasion I've seen my battery percentage drop on the charger like you're reporting. It's apparent when that happens as instead of seeing the charging counter it goes to an activity screen. Removing it from the cradle and power cycling has usually fixed that. However, on a couple of occasions, it hasn't and it's really thrown a hissy fit - a bit like WIndoze computers do quite often ;-). When that happens I've ended up doing a couple or three full resets before it's kicked back into life. Touch wood it always has.

Not sure why this happens. It's definitely not tied to any particular update. I remove activities from the device every week so never have more than a week's worth stored. I have few courses or workouts and have never loaded any other 'stuff'. I just put it down to software issues and carry on. Needless to say, if it can't be revived, then you have to contact Garmin Support for assistance.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Strange indeed... do you keep your fit files on your device or clean them off from time to time?

That seems to be a variable and something Garmin often ask users to clear when they have system issues.

I've never cleared my fit files, I have about 10 run workouts, one swim workout and one bike course saved to it. Otherwise I have a run of the mill 920xt as far as I know.

I clear my workout history once every 3-4 months and before big races. Other than that, it has worked flawlessly.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on the phone with Garmin for 30 minutes running every possible fix for it and nothing would work. It was out of warranty as well, but the good guys at Garmin are replacing it for free.
Yet another reason why I only use Garmin products as their customer service is top notch.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [Craigthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coincidentally my wife (who is in NZ while I am in Aus) experienced the same thing last evening. However, we were able to get it resolved over Facetime. I would love to know what causes it to happen. She said that she'd had some issues with Garmin Express while the 920 was in its cradle and connected. Ended up having to shut the computer down and restart. That's when the problem started.

What we did:
Tried the hard reset pressing up and down buttons and power on once or twice. No joy but unsure whether that was her problem or not.
Got her then to press and hold the power button for a wee while somewhere around 30s. When she released it the Garmin name flashed up and it came back to life. She recorded a run with it this morning so appears to be going again.

Good to here Garmin are coming to the party too.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin 935XT is released and the latest firmware for 920XT makes the watch really bad, hmmm... :-)

Not updating mine...
Quote Reply

Prev Next