They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Read any good books lately [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Perseus wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
I've read all of the Reacher series, unfortunately they get worse. Loved the first 10 or so.

I agree, they were great in the beginning and I've received a few more as gifts and I can't get myself to pick them up.

I picked up Inferno by Dan Brown. I like a good page turner every once in a while but damn this one is disappointing. Not enjoying it at all.

I quit that series after Angels & Demons. The book was fantastic and the ending was so stupid it ruined the entire book for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Read any good books lately [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Second anything by Nathaniel Philbrick.

His "Bunker Hill" was excellent.

Agreed, it made my go on a colonial period reading craze. I was seriously considering buying a brown bess after that book.
Quote Reply
Re: Read any good books lately [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The book also features a lengthy chapter on their infamous 1986 performance on SNL that got them banned from the show after Paul dropped an F-bomb on live TV. They sound awesome on this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXD9sxa1Edo

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Read any good books lately [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Look forward to them already checked out on Amazon local library
I have the VHS of that epic battle in Kona Best race ever 2nd Roth when Van Lierde 4Runs down Zach I think
Quote Reply
Re: Read any good books lately [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
wrmattil wrote:
Read a lot. More so than most. Here are a few:

Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich - Shirer
State Of Fear - Crichton (Anything by him is well worth the time)
One Shot - Child ( Much better than the Movie based on it )
The Generals Daughter - DeMille
Dune & and all the Prequels and Sequels - Herbert(s)
Polar Star - Smith (All of the Arkady Renfro Novels are Great)

Just finished Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, very good.

Must have read that 25 yrs ago. Agree it was good, but took me a month to get through it and I'm not a slow reader.
Quote Reply
Re: Read any good books lately [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just a couple days read into it, so can't recommend it yet - - but it is like no other book I've ever read and I'm compelled to mention it.
The book is "Discovery of Slowness", a novel, by Sten Nadolny.
The story is of a true character named Sir John Franklin, a famous and knighted British naval officer who eventually perished on an expedition to the Northwest Passage in mid 1800's.
But the book is not really about him - you get this great story as an extra bonus - the book is about slowness.
By 'slowness' the author means how Sir John Franklin perceived. How he saw in a minute what most folks see in an hour.
'Slowness' is a way of seeing.
The book not only describes slowness - but teaches you how to see - if you'll let it. It's kind of trippy.
How slow? Here is a passage:
"If he could just stay there and gaze upon the land like a stone, whole centuries long, while grassy plains became forests and swamps turned into villages or tilled land. Nobody would ask him a question. He'd be recognized as human only when he stirred."
Whatever you or I think slowness is, we are wrong, it's slower than that.
Quote Reply
Re: Read any good books lately [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds interesting. Listening to a book that is hard to categorize but very good. A Primate's Memoir by Robert Sapolsky. He's a neuro-endocrinologist and primatologist. The book is centered around his summer field studies of baboons in the Masai Mara of Kenya. Mostly describes his adventures in Africa in the 70's and 80's. About baboons, cultural anthropology, some science, but just good funny story telling.
Quote Reply

Prev Next