Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

roof racks
Quote | Reply
Considering getting a roof rack for my bikes, I've already got the rails. My question is this: It would be going on top of a full size SUV, is using a rack where you leave both wheels on going to be a PITA to get the bike up there, attach the straps to the wheels and then attach whatever sort of stabilizer bar to the frame etc. As opposed to a fork mount which seems more straight forward especially when working above one's head.
Quote Reply
Re: roof racks [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full size SUV? You need a trailer hitch rack. Easy choice.
Quote Reply
Re: roof racks [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

Though about it, won't work for a few reasons: Live in the city, park on the street, pain to leave on/nowhere to keep it. SUV didn't come with a hitch receiver so putting one on plus price of rack>>>tray style rack when I already have the cross rails

All that said hitch racks are great, friend of mine has one, just doesn't make sense for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a full size SUV I'd go with a fork mount rack. Easier to get the bike up on top of the vehicle and the fastening implements are easier to reach. The wheels on racks are nice for sedans and wagons but the reach height would be tough to deal with on an SUV.

Also what are you putting in the racks? Just standard road forks and not thruaxle equipped front end bikes?

The wheels on racks are great for mountain bikes, fat bikes, or any non-quick release front end ride.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: roof racks [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was kinda my concern, thanks for confirming. I would be putting my road, TT and thru-axle mtb on it. From what I have seen, there are adapters for the TA, hopefully it won't be that be of a deal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best TA adapter out there is the rocky mounts locking unit.

Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By American standards I guess my SUV (Sportage) is small but even so, regardless of fork or wheel mount (I have both), its way easier just to carry a small step stool or open the door and use that as a step.

I have Thule 591's and a 561, I only put the tri bike on the 561 (fork mount) as I would worry about clamping the down tube of the tri bike.

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

Though about it, won't work for a few reasons: Live in the city, park on the street, pain to leave on/nowhere to keep it. SUV didn't come with a hitch receiver so putting one on plus price of rack>>>tray style rack when I already have the cross rails

All that said hitch racks are great, friend of mine has one, just doesn't make sense for me

Yeah but the aerodynamics of a hitch rack, especially with an SUV versus the roof rack will easily make up the cost and then another 5x in gas. Plus, everyone inevitably takes their roof rack into the garage. Sounds like you don't have a garage, so instead, you will hit a McDonalds overhead contraption going through the drive threw when you need some coffee desperately and are still half-awake, or so tired post ride. Say goodbye to the roof rack, bikes, and then damage to the car to boot.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a whispbar setup on my car (girlfriend has NV 2.0 on her explorer, I've had quite a few roof racks and hitch racks) right now. The fork mount rack is exceptionally easy in terms of different mountings. I have QR and TA and the swap is very easy to do and requires no tools. Of course, it's expensive AF accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My setup on a Suburban is Kuat hitch rack on the back and then two Thule wheel-on roof racks up top - gives plenty of room for all the bikes outside, gear and people inside. It takes a little practice to figure out getting the bikes up top but as long as you have a modicum of upper body strength (I know not a strong point for many triathletes) you shouldn't have any trouble getting anything short of a fat bike up there. Obviously wheel on means you're not having to worry about space inside for wheels, but the straps will require that it puts pressure on your rims so you may end up putting race wheels inside the vehicle and box rims on the bike for transportation. Recommend measuring the height of your setup so you don't mistakenly think you can make it under that low clearance on your way to your ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Thule Aeroblade bars & direct-mount feet. The setup works great.

I used to have 518 Echelon fork-mount trays, and found them to be a pain in the ass. The clamps never wanted to tighten symmetrically, and would rarely pop all the way out when the mechanism was released, making it a pain to actually get a fork in there.

The nail in the coffin for me was when my bikes started to go thru-axle. I got an adapter for my cross bike, but then I would have had to buy more adapters for my mountain bikes.

I then got Rocky Mounts Brass Knuckles trays (wheels-on), and haven't looked back. They're just amazing. Quick, simple, secure, no wheels in the trunk, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a stepstool to leave in your vehicle when using a roof rack since you have an full sized SUV. (one of those fold up ones works nicely....unless you are really short then maybe a bigger one might be better).

Oh and I vote for hitch racks over roof racks. Did the ran into my garage once with one of my bikes (luckily low speed and it is a aluminum framed MTB so cosmetic damage only). Now I have a hitch rack with my current vehicle. But I ironically just throw my entire bike inside my car (Subaru Outback) when it is just me and avoid putting on the hitch rack.

Get what works best for you. Wheel on is much more convenient though I've found over a fork mount.
Quote Reply
Re: roof racks [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of hitch racks seem to have a protruding bar upon which the top tube of the bike rests and is secured. Any issues with carbon frames taking the stress of this type of rack?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: roof racks [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like so:

Seems to be fine. While I don't have this type of hitch rack (I have a tray style one) it was fine when I've had my bike on there before. It is just hanging by it's own weight and not much stress at all on the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: roof racks [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tray racks are hard to beat

Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply