Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oliver Half Wheel Choices
Quote | Reply
Any local aero-weenies wanna weigh in on this one? A kid who will be doing the race just bought a bike and will be borrowing wheels for the race. Which would be faster on the Oliver course - my Zipp 404 Firecrests or a set of the Specialized - Era HED 3s. Would using 23s on the HEDs be tragic?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Oliver Half Wheel Choices [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Any local aero-weenies wanna weigh in on this one? A kid who will be doing the race just bought a bike and will be borrowing wheels for the race. Which would be faster on the Oliver course - my Zipp 404 Firecrests or a set of the Specialized - Era HED 3s. Would using 23s on the HEDs be tragic?

Opinion:

Done it twice and that course is *mostly * predominant strong head and tail wind.

One decent section on the back side where you get a bit of cross wind, I was a little unsettled with h3 front and stinger disk.

Regarding tire, I run tubulars and have gone to a shwalbe 21 on the front h3. It doesn't sit round like the corsas but I am giving something up on butyl tube.... I am struggling to find something perfect for that front wheel. Even had an old conti tempo with latex at 19mm but flatted at a 40km tt when I looked at it funny.

If clinchers you will have a lot better choices for tires.

2c
Quote Reply
Re: Oliver Half Wheel Choices [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just clinchers here but all we have for tyres for now are 23s.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Oliver Half Wheel Choices [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If can do OK with handling then double h3.

If not then h3 404 front probably isn't much worse.

Regardless if this is a targeted race he should find 100$ or so for race day and depending on condition upgrade his tires.

Bonus is lots of great info on here for what would be best clincher option for him.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply