Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Elon Musk hates unions!
Quote | Reply
Good for him.

Jose Moran commutes more than an hour from California’s Central Valley to Tesla Inc.’s Fremont factory every morning for a shift that usually starts around 5:25 a.m. and ends in the late afternoon. His Thursday was anything but typical.
The 43-year-old father of two started the day passing around copies of his post on the publishing service Medium, which called for forming a union at Tesla’s lone auto assembly plant. By the evening, Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk was criticizing Moran and the United Auto Workers in Twitter messages with a tech blog .

. . .
Tesla has flagged to investors for years the risk of higher costs and work stoppages that could arise if a union organizes the Fremont plant. The Palo Alto, California-based company employs more than 5,000 workers at the factory.

https://www.yahoo.com/...-elon-171935753.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk hates unions! [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only an hour commute from the central valley to Fremont?

We have a sales guy who lives out there and his commute is more like 2 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elon should have reduced that guy to two hours a day.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Feb 11, 17 21:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not want to work for Musk. 50-70 hours a week and not that great of pay. I'm sure he hates unions as it would mean actually having to compensate workers for work done.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk hates unions! [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
I would not want to work for Musk. 50-70 hours a week and not that great of pay. I'm sure he hates unions as it would mean actually having to compensate workers for work done.

So what you're saying is workers are putting in hours and not getting paid? I find that surprising and an easy issue for an employee to file a grievance for.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk hates unions! [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:

We have really tough employment laws in California. If Musk is doing anything illegal they can file a complaint and will win big. If he isn't doing anything illegal than his employees have it pretty good.

The employement laws here (and the resulting cost to employ someone) is the sole reason why I haven't hired another person for my company. I just can't afford it.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is this guy's commute even part of the discussion? Or his age? Or how many children he has? Or what time his shift starts? I'm really struggling to understand this dude's need for a union based off of anything posted in any one of those articles.

Also, was he passing out union flyers on company time? That's not so clear but it looks like it.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk hates unions! [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Why is this guy's commute even part of the discussion? Or his age? Or how many children he has? Or what time his shift starts? I'm really struggling to understand this dude's need for a union based off of anything posted in any one of those articles.

Also, was he passing out union flyers on company time? That's not so clear but it looks like it.

I hear this "I commute x hours, so I should get...."

You should move.

My brother use to commute 90 minutes each way for work. He always said it was because his living expenses were much cheaper where he lived. He didn't really seem to factor in 15 hours a week driving, fuel and maintenance costs, road food, etc.

Just fucking move!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do most of the hiring for the company I work for. We have around 120 employees at my location. Ex union workers are by far the biggest fucking pain in the ass that we have.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk hates unions! [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A salaried employee gets paid the same amount no matter how many hours they work and it is perfectly legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course he does. Unions shift the power from the owner to the workers. He's the owner.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk hates unions! [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol. Right? Shocking news! Business owner opposes unionization efforts!

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Of course he does. Unions shift the power from the owner to the workers. He's the owner.

So does he lose his status as Liberal darling?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No and neither does Warren Buffet who shut down our local tomato processing plant and shipped 1000+ jobs to a cheaper place. And owns all sorts of railroads which ship oil with far more risk than pipelines which environmentalists go bananas about everytime someone tries to build one. Why don't environmentalists stop trains at the border? Sometimes the world does not make sense. I have no problem opposing a pit mine that would pollute a trout stream for example.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
And if the unions get carried away, the owners simply shift the whole plants elsewhere.

Australia is about to totally close all car manufacturing. Toyota, Ford and Holden (GM) are closing their plants.
Not one simple reason for it, but when forklift drivers are making $100K +, you know you're on borrowed time.

How long can Musk hold out in Cali till its no longer viable and moves the factory elsewhere.
Wouldn't surprise me if the land he bought in NV for the Gigafactory has enough space to re-house vehicle production.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Of course he does. Unions shift the power from the owner to the workers.

Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk hates unions! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
A salaried employee gets paid the same amount no matter how many hours they work and it is perfectly legal.

From the article, it sounds like this guy is hourly. I am well aware of how salaried employees are compensated.
Quote Reply