Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Biosteel Electrolytes
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to cut out sugar from my diet and I'm looking at Biosteel as a way to avoid the massive amount of sugar found in Gatorade. I just did my first workout on the stuff, and it's not bad. Not quite as sweet, but after eliminating most other sweets from my diet, it's something I can get used to.

Has anyone done an IM or 70.3 on the stuff?

A few issues I'm thinking:
  1. I'm used to getting sugar calories during a race from Gatorade. Not a big deal if I acclimatize to no sugar, and I'd have to rebalance my nutrition, but that seems altogether achievable.
  2. They don't obviously serve on course, so I'd have to either premix and carry all nutrition with me or mix on the go. Not too much trouble for a 70.3, but an IM might prove harder logistically if I have to carry 4-5 of the mix pouches.
  3. It's made/flavoured with beet powder, which I understand is supposed to both magically improve endurance as well as make you empty your bowels. This I'd want to test.

I figure I'll take the mix pouches with me on long rides so I get used to it and then do the same for races, but has anyone made the switch from Gatorade-type mixes to a sugar free mix?
Last edited by: timbasile: Feb 10, 17 17:51
Quote Reply
Re: Biosteel Electrolytes [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you going to get your calories on race day? This has 6 calories per serving. What is driving you to go sugar-free?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim,

It sound like a great product to use for an 8 hour half Ironman or 17 ironman.

Good luck,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on some recent things, I'd have it tested before getting hooked. We need to be so much more careful with these companies. Given your penchant for no sugar, why not just go to a proven and well known and used one....skratch? It really great tasting and has a lot of science that is proven behind it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Biosteel a few times and I liked it just fine -- I prefer the taste of skratch labs.

I assume you'll take solid food with you then? You won't go more than an hour or two on Biosteel alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just general note about Biosteel - It's a Canadian sports nutrition company, based in Toronto. Unlike many of the other key players in sports nutrition (who often got their start in endurance sports) they have done very little marketing, and promotions in endurance sports. They have for the most part stuck to Pro Team sports - chiefly hockey and basketball.

However, my understanding is they are starting to now have a closer look at endurance sports (running, cycling & triathlon), as they look for new markets to move into.

They have been very successful to date I can see them making some good gains over-all in the sports nutrition space.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Biosteel Electrolytes [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a 70.3 bike I usually go Gatorade, 1 or 2 gels and 2 honey stingers. The logical place would be to add another gel.

The reason to take out sugar is that I've always been the guy to finished off everyone's Halloween candy, xmas baking, etc. This may or may not have been precipitated by me binging my son's Halloween candy. I've sworn off sugar and dropped 9 lbs since November which puts me at my lowest ever race weight during the off season where normally I gain 5. Currently 164 and 5'10 and looking to see where this goes.

Edit to add: On second thought, now that I've written down my nutrition plan, I don't think this makes the most sense. No point cutting sugar from my sports drink so I can add it back in some other form. Also no point trying to keep a weight loss focus on race day either.

Looks like I'll keep the sugar on race day and likely also for long training rides as its much easier that way.

Thanks all!
Last edited by: timbasile: Feb 11, 17 13:36
Quote Reply
Re: Biosteel Electrolytes [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Based on some recent things, I'd have it tested before getting hooked. We need to be so much more careful with these companies. Given your penchant for no sugar, why not just go to a proven and well known and used one....skratch? It really great tasting and has a lot of science that is proven behind it.

Thanks, I'll check them out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Anytime! It actually uses real fruit as flavoring. Alan Lim is the company founder and is well know in the endurance sports arena in case you don't know him. They have a sale on right now in fact. They're a great option if you're just looking for hydration and electrolytes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I am aware, Biosteel tests and certifies all their products against contamination from banned substances.

Their Advanced Recovery Formula is something to try out... probably the most delicious recovery/protein drink I've ever had.
Quote Reply