Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hosting an exchange student
Quote | Reply
We are hosting an exchange student this year from Austria. I highly recommend it. My daughter is 16 exchange student six months younger but one grade lower in school. Our school has seven, three from Germany, one from New Zealand, one from Australia and one from Thailand. It is pretty cool. They hang out together a fair bit so I am getting to know the other kids too. Two weeks from now we are having Lamb night because the Kiwis and Aussies are missing home. Any good excuse is good to have lamb.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Hosting an exchange student [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My parents hosted students while I was growing up. From age 12-17 I had room mates from China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, etc. It was awesome! Highly recommended.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always said..."I may not have traveled the world, but the world has lived in our house".

17 different exchange students have lived in my house while I was a teenager. With their fellow exchange students hanging out at our house and even relatives coming to visit years later, it's a positive and lasting experience.

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was an exchange student in Japan and loved every moment of it and have considered having a few kids stay here for the summer.

Quote | Reply
I had an exchange student in my house every year from 6th grade through senior in high school. Japan, Argentina, Germany, Spain, Denmark. It was a good experience in general. I also did a study abroad program in Costa Rica in college and lived with a host family of 3 who made $1,200 a year. That was also a great experience. If you are not an open minded or are an up tight person in general it might be more challenging for you.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Hosting an exchange student [iO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife talked me in to it. One of our friends had an exchange student from Germany last year and she was such a bright spark so they wanted to try it too. It has gotten us out doing things we normally don't do as we are showing her the country. Our exchange student is on ski team in Austria so we took her to Tremblant as our local hill doesn't quite compare to what she is used too. After that we went to Ottawa and visited friends we had not seen for years. They got us VIP passes to Parliament Hill for New Years Eve and we met Penny Oleksiak. Good times.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going to teach her the international language of love? Also, be sure to pay the paperboy his $2 lest he'll never stop bothering you.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Hosting an exchange student [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He keeps trying to put his testicles on me"

"Excuse me?"

"How you say, like octopus?"

"Oh, you mean 'tentancles'. NT. There's a big difference"

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter did her grade 10 in Belgium as an exchange student. Was a wonderful experience for her. Always regretted not repaying the piper and hosting myself.
Quote Reply