Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going snowboarding next week on 20 year old equipment.
Quote | Reply
Been using the same setup since '98.

Am I missing anything good by not using newer stuff?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Going snowboarding next week on 20 year old equipment. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes you really are, New stuff is amazing, Granted I started in 86 and have seen lots of trends come and go..... the new banana type serrated boards are a dream to ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Going snowboarding next week on 20 year old equipment. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still using my setup from 98 or 99 too. Occasionally people comment on my k2 clicker bindings and say that are awesome or wtf are those?!

I'm still happy with the setup although I wouldn't mind a new board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A real man such as yourself could do it on an ironing board.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started skiing with Jr., two years ago after a 20 year break. I purchased $75 fifteen year old skis not knowing if he would take to it which he did. After two years on crappy skis, I went all in this year. The difference is amazing. Skiied better in crappy conditions on new skis than ideal conditions on old skis.
Quote Reply
Re: Going snowboarding next week on 20 year old equipment. [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
I'm still using my setup from 98 or 99 too. Occasionally people comment on my k2 clicker bindings and say that are awesome or wtf are those?!

I'm still happy with the setup although I wouldn't mind a new board.

People offer to buy my board all the time.

$1000 and it yours.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I bought a new board in 2005, made a big difference. I do wonder if maybe it was just because the edge was new and I had never had my old board waxed and sharpened.

I am tempted to buy a season pass for the local hill next week, gets me up there for the rest of this season and all of next for $329. Haven't been in 10 years but really want to go. Day pass is $60 so it doesn't take many trips to get to season pass price.
Quote Reply
Re: Going snowboarding next week on 20 year old equipment. [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy what board are you riding?
for a grand is it a blue H street?
Quote Reply
Re: Going snowboarding next week on 20 year old equipment. [chuckhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuckhead wrote:
Duffy what board are you riding?
for a grand is it a blue H street?

1998 Barfoot Big Foot.

It's worth about $60.

First $1,000 takes it.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just check the bindings for potential wear if they're same vintage. Went to mammoth over New Years and pulled out the board bought in 94 but not used since 2009. Got to the lodge picked up the board and the front binding strap broke where it was bolted on.

Rented a board and (from what I remember) was just like the POS 1994 nytro board I bought at the LA Ski Show
Quote Reply
Re: Going snowboarding next week on 20 year old equipment. [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:
I started skiing with Jr., two years ago after a 20 year break. I purchased $75 fifteen year old skis not knowing if he would take to it which he did. After two years on crappy skis, I went all in this year. The difference is amazing. Skiied better in crappy conditions on new skis than ideal conditions on old skis.

Skis have come a long way. I remember skiing on those straight skinny 210 skis. Now everything is parabolic or fat and short
Quote Reply
Re: Going snowboarding next week on 20 year old equipment. [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old skiis, 210s with little sidecut, 25 year old muscular, fit, young eb's tracks look like:
\\
..\\
....\\
.....O
.....//
...//
.//
O

Fast forward 30 years, eb drops the big bucks on fancy new gear, and suddenly old flabby eb be doin':
...))
..((
...))
..((
...))
..((
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wouldn't be going to Mountain High would you, if so stop by our place. Only about a mile off the road on the back way up which is the route. you would take from there..
Quote Reply
Re: Going snowboarding next week on 20 year old equipment. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
You wouldn't be going to Mountain High would you, if so stop by our place. Only about a mile off the road on the back way up which is the route. you would take from there..

Mammoth.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good call, you would probably just get in a fight here with some agro teenager. Most crowded runs in the state I believe, and only a couple for all the herding sheeple..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have gear that's close to 20 years old. My cousin gave me his old beginners K2 board, boots, and bindings when he upgraded to nice stuff maybe 10 years ago. The bindings are starting to go though.

I don't know any different so have no clue what I'm missing. Board seems to ride just fine. If anything is holding me back, it's my ability, not my equipment.

That being said, I have new and pretty nice jacket, pants and goggles. No sense in being cold and uncomfortable AND on old gear!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Going snowboarding next week on 20 year old equipment. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sporting the same pants but my jackets are newish.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are they extra crispy from repeated scotch guarding?

Quote Reply
Re: Going snowboarding next week on 20 year old equipment. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Nah. I just always have a wet ass.

I have a high tolerance for misery.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Wow. I don't know if the snow you get down there is as wet and heavy as it can be up here, but there ain't no way in hell I'd be riding around all day with cold, wet pants.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Wow. I don't know if the snow you get down there is as wet and heavy as it can be up here, but there ain't no way in hell I'd be riding around all day with cold, wet pants.

Actually, they're gortex and have held up really well. The Sierra snow is usually light and dry. Very dry.

When we lived in Ithaca we had that heavy wet snow. Every time it snowed we'd run up to Greek Peak and tear it up. We only boarded there during active snow storms.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply