Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gave blood for the first time in about 20 years today
Quote | Reply
Passed out cold about 5 mins after getting to the waiting area post donation. I had eaten a cookie or two and was sipping on some water when I suddenly got light headed. My wife asked me if I was ok and I said no.... next thing I remember there were lots of people all around me. Almost happened again when they sent me back out after checking me out and waiting a while. Ended up being there almost 3 hours.

Good times - probably going to wait another 20 years for the next one.
Quote Reply
Re: Gave blood for the first time in about 20 years today [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Las time I tried I was rejected because I had recently been to Mexico. Haven't been back since.

Years ago I made a direct donation to my dad (who was going to have brain surgery) in case he needed it. He was paranoid about getting AIDS blood (this was back in the 80s) so he figured he'd get some from me (just coincidentally we had the same blood type). Little did he know what I was into...

If you ate some shrooms and gave blood would your recipient trip?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Gave blood for the first time in about 20 years today [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Las time I tried I was rejected because I had recently been to Mexico. Haven't been back since.

Years ago I made a direct donation to my dad (who was going to have brain surgery) in case he needed it. He was paranoid about getting AIDS blood (this was back in the 80s) so he figured he'd get some from me (just coincidentally we had the same blood type). Little did he know what I was into...

I have never heard the euphemism "been to Mexico" ... does it mean you mainlined heroin? Banged a gay Haitian hooker?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Gave blood for the first time in about 20 years today [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I have never heard the euphemism "been to Mexico" ... does it mean you mainlined heroin? Banged a gay Haitian hooker?

Ever been to a donkey show? There can be some back splash.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Feb 9, 17 16:34
Quote Reply
Re: Gave blood for the first time in about 20 years today [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly why I don't donate blood. About 4 years ago I needed a bunch of blood panels, turned out to be 6 vials. Somewhere around 2.5 vials in I felt lightheaded, progressively worse, until I finally passed out cold & had to lay on a table for a long while before I could leave. I can watch surgery videos just fine but my own blood does me in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to live drinking after I would give blood. It would be a cheap night.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Gave blood for the first time in about 20 years today [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't the blood / needles that did me in, those don't bother me one bit. After the second incident they checked my vitals and HR and BP were both low - apparently not a good combination.
Quote Reply
Re: Gave blood for the first time in about 20 years today [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I commented to my wife on the way home that one beer would probably have gotten me hammered. She didn't think it was a test worth validating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
I commented to my wife on the way home that one beer would probably have gotten me hammered. She didn't think it was a test worth validating.

You should get rid of her.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Gave blood for the first time in about 20 years today [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

When I passed out, she told me she used her boob as a pillow for my head. I'm torn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

When I passed out, she told me she used her boob as a pillow for my head. I'm torn.

Good point.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm over 9 gallons lifetime, haven't been able to donate in a year though due to being on Xarelto blood thinner. :(

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is a doctor and she started getting lightheaded about ten years into her career when she was assisting at surgery. Since I am a doc too I got voluntold to do all her operating room assists. Years ago when I coached swimming I almost passed out a few times while I was leaning over to tighten/loosen lane ropes. Good on you for donating blood.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply