Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: School Choice: what say you? [CW in NH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CW in NH wrote:
What level on the autism spectrum does the school educate? If a student is severely autistic, are they admitted? Do they have a 1on1 assistant like is provided in public schools?

Public schools are expensive, not because of the "best" students, they are expensive because they need to educate everyone, including students that have significant challenges.

Good students, without disability, will succeed no matter the school. Levitt shows this pretty well in Freakonomics.

Yes, good students will succeed, but that doesn't mean they aren't negatively affected and it doesn't mean they will reach their potential.
This is why I struggle with the fact that focusing on the lowest common denominator is really only good for helping the people at the bottom, it does very little for those that are successful...
Quote Reply
Re: School Choice: what say you? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Duffy wrote:
windywave wrote:
Duffy wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
Barry if you're not ignoring me how much of this dislike is rooted in the fact a lot of private schools are religious?

None. If I had kids and lived where I grew up, I wouldn't have any problem sending them to a catholic school.

I actually don't even have a problem with the concept of "school choice." I just don't trust them.

Ha. We are a non-religious family. I'm atheist and the wife is "there must be something...". We don't go to church, ever.

My son is in a Catholic based private school. Never in a million years....

Catholic based or Catholic?

Well, there's no nuns or priests there. The Catholic kids do catechism and non-Catholics (like my son) learn about the major world religions when the catholic kids are doing catechism.

They also stress "values" and "service to the community" and "integrity" and all that morality that, for some stupid reason, can't be mentioned in public schools.

And they wear uniforms.

Is it under the auspices of the archdiocese? i.e. do they report to the local archbishop

No.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: School Choice: what say you? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And i oppose them because private is a choice and if you opt out you should shoulder the cost
Quote Reply
Re: School Choice: what say you? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
windywave wrote:
Duffy wrote:
windywave wrote:
Duffy wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
Barry if you're not ignoring me how much of this dislike is rooted in the fact a lot of private schools are religious?

None. If I had kids and lived where I grew up, I wouldn't have any problem sending them to a catholic school.

I actually don't even have a problem with the concept of "school choice." I just don't trust them.

Ha. We are a non-religious family. I'm atheist and the wife is "there must be something...". We don't go to church, ever.

My son is in a Catholic based private school. Never in a million years....

Catholic based or Catholic?

Well, there's no nuns or priests there. The Catholic kids do catechism and non-Catholics (like my son) learn about the major world religions when the catholic kids are doing catechism.

They also stress "values" and "service to the community" and "integrity" and all that morality that, for some stupid reason, can't be mentioned in public schools.

And they wear uniforms.

Is it under the auspices of the archdiocese? i.e. do they report to the local archbishop

No.

Interesting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a lot of big Catholic high schools around here (meaning close to 2000 students). They are run similar to Catholic universities.....i.e. a large institution of learning that isn't really very religious, but mainly just funded and supported by the Catholic church. That doesn't mean that they'll fund a staffers contraception, but they will teach evolution and not require bible study.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: School Choice: what say you? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
We have a lot of big Catholic high schools around here (meaning close to 2000 students). They are run similar to Catholic universities.....i.e. a large institution of learning that isn't really very religious, but mainly just funded and supported by the Catholic church. That doesn't mean that they'll fund a staffers contraception, but they will teach evolution and not require bible study.

But Catholic Universities er all still ultimately report to the pope. Duffy's school is rare in that it was Catholic, was going to be closed, and taken over by a lay board of trustees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No i understand why. I just dont understand why you should get a rebate.

I also think it only opens up options for a proportion of the population not all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not all private schools or private school families are excited about vouchers. Government is all about compromises. The fear of the voucher system is that the government may impose mandates that private educators don't want
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People who want school choice other than those who simply thrive off of everything that annoys liberals are people who aren't going to send their kids to public school in the first place.

Essentially what you're saying here is that there is no group of people that exists that would like send their kids to a private school but simply can't afford the entire cost. I think that is an incorrect assumption, very incorrect IMO.

Second I would also guess that you would also see a new class of "Private school" that would like charge something very close to whatever the voucher value. It's the way the market works. If their is 5K per student laying around on the table some enterprising individual will figure out a way to get it.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: School Choice: what say you? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We go to a charter and most likely would move rather than do private school if this option was not available. We had no plans for kids when we bought our house but love the neighborhood, location and trail access. But we could move three miles into a better school- ours was on the state needs improvement list which gave us choice priority. The charter helps neighborhoods from being at the whim of the local school.
Quote Reply
Re: School Choice: what say you? [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Not all private schools or private school families are excited about vouchers. Government is all about compromises. The fear of the voucher system is that the government may impose mandates that private educators don't want

That would likely be necessary. And yes, I can see why you'd be opposed.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
People who want school choice other than those who simply thrive off of everything that annoys liberals are people who aren't going to send their kids to public school in the first place.

Essentially what you're saying here is that there is no group of people that exists that would like send their kids to a private school but simply can't afford the entire cost. I think that is an incorrect assumption, very incorrect IMO.

Second I would also guess that you would also see a new class of "Private school" that would like charge something very close to whatever the voucher value. It's the way the market works. If their is 5K per student laying around on the table some enterprising individual will figure out a way to get it.

~Matt

Did you really just question the all knowing man in the mountains flawless logic and people reading skills? Shame!

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that -- well implemented -- school choice can slightly improve educational outcomes and moderately improve total education costs.
I assume that school choice would be implemented in a decentralized manner (by individual school district or state). We could then compare and contrast different implementations. Implementations that obviously favor one group at the expense of others should be easy to detect and avoid in the future.
Last edited by: SH: Feb 12, 17 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:

~Matt

Agreed. The number I have heard floated is 6k per head. 6k per head times 20 kids in a class is 120k per year to teach class. Keep overhead costs reasonable, and someone should be able to make that work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next