Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This is going to get ugly (Deportation). [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Already is here in Phoenix.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/...ation-illegal-alien/

On the news this morning they showed the lady and her daughter, who was doing the speaking. Does the woman speak English?
Quote Reply
Re: This is going to get ugly (Deportation). [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not likely. The part of town they reside in has enough latino businesses and people to thrive on Spanish exclusively. West Mesa specifically. I don't know if they are close to Guadalupe, which is a Mexican enclave where all businesses and schools (private) are Spanish speaking. There was a bike shop there that had some really cool kit and I wanted it, so I drove to put in an order (had to be made in person) only to find it was a combo of the Arizona and Mexican flag with the Mexican eagle at the center. Not offensive to me, but didn't feel right wearing it myself.

Yes, I speak enough Spanish to survive where English isn't spoken.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: This is going to get ugly (Deportation). [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think once people realize that a huge portion of identity theft is from people here illegally it will sway public opinion even more in the direction of the Trumpers
---

I think the chances of the average person thinking about identity theft and its relationship to illegals is relatively small, bordering zero. The only time people would even consider it is if they are the direct victim of identity theft and the perp is an illegal. Most of the time, they would shed an atom of oxygen on the topic for fear of being accused of independent thought.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: This is going to get ugly (Deportation). [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Her felony is really what jacks her up. Among the things she could be asking for is something called suspension of deportation. If you have been here a minimum amount of time, I want to say 4 years but it could have changed, which she clearly qualifies for, and your removal would create a hardship for a US citizen, which her kids are, they can simply stop deportation and allow you to stay and work.

Anchor babies, huh?

Crazy.
You stopped reading. You shouldn't do that.

'Both parents being aliens works much less well. ' - as in, not well at all, as in, you get deported, as in, she was put on a van

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: This is going to get ugly (Deportation). [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I got read the part about being the sole breadwinner. So what?

Going on what you wrote, she's been able to avoid being deported for almost a decade after being convicted of a felony because of her anchor babies, right?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: This is going to get ugly (Deportation). [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
So it's pretty much the same situation as the Bundys.

Protesters standing up for criminals.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about, but thanks for playing.

How would you feel if land your great grandparents obtained legally and neighboring unoccupied land that law allowed you to graze on became annexed by a city, state or federal gov't that then levied taxes and rules on you? It is easy for coastal liberals and even coastal republicans who have no idea how much land is occupied by the federal gov't shrug it off.

Let me simplify it for you. There are numerous homesteads that at one time were isolated. The federal annexed these lands surrounding it, and in some cases, even created national parks that had gated entrances. When gov't shuts down, these people are unable to access the gates to go to their homes.

This isn't even uncommon. Since moving to the southwest, I have come to realize how big of a deal this is to multi-generational residents of these lands in AZ, NM, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, and Oregon.

She came here illegally by her own decision. She decided to then have children here. While this is a case I'm more sympathetic to, the law was broken. And as a felon, she falls into the category of criminal. Were this to not consistently be applied, felonious murderers could appeal deportation.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Going on what you wrote, she's been able to avoid being deported for almost a decade after being convicted of a felony because of her anchor babies, right?

No. Read again.

You missed the part where both parents being aliens doesn't work very well.

I could keep you from getting deported for several years if you were a single male with no kids. As long as you have the funds to do it. If you get detained it gets less fun for you and you may stop fighting. But if you are out walking around and reaallly don't want to go home you may fight it more. I don't know whether she was detained or not. The particulars of her case don't really matter for what I am talking about.

Here is a scenario where suspension of deportation works. (names have been changed but the incident is real)

Jose comes to the US from Mexico. He marries Donna. They get married. They have a very cute kid and have a very real marriage. They file for permanent residence for Jose based on marriage to a US citizen. Donna is also pregnant with their second child. Jose works like a mofo.

Jose's sister writes and says he has to help her come to the US by sending her money. Jose wires money to a smuggler who brings his sister in but tells his wife and lawyer that the money went to the sister who gave the money to the smuggler.

During the interview for his green card Jose meets a very astute and bright immigration officer who used to work border patrol and has the bullet wounds to prove it. He is not a soft man n any sense of the word. He asks Jose in Spanish if he sent the money to the coyote. Jose can't keep his story going for the extra five minutes needed and tells the truth. His attorney is taken aback as he was always told the money went to the sister. When asked by the incredulous attorney Donna replies that she thought that was what happened as well. Attorney lets out a giant sigh because he was afraid he had just fucked up massively.

Here's his problem. If it had been his parents or child he paid to get brought in, he can get a waiver. If he had sent the money directly to his sister, it doesn't matter at all. But since he sent the money to the coyote and it was for his sister, under changes made in the 90's to combat smuggling and human trafficking, he can get no waiver. He is subject to deportation.

So you have the primary breadwinner of a family of 4 being sent home. The immigration officer can see that it is a real family and notices that Jose is a few months short of being here the minimum time necessary to get suspension of deportation. He has an influx of paperwork that he must handle that delays his decision on this petition and fortuitously extends the time frame beyond that cutoff. When Jose is placed into proceedings a very not softhearted immigration judge grants the application for cancellation of removal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Here is more on why it doesn't work. Not sure if Washington Post is now fake news or not. But this article is correct, whether anyone likes it or not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.6677aac94e6a

I am very much in favor of making immigrants follow the law. I am not in favor of making policy based on fallacies and I am exceptionally against essentially encouraging people to come and then exploiting them. I am also very opposed to using powerless people as political punching bags.

We could dry up a very large percentage of illegal immigration by drying up the jobs they come for. Our politicians and complete sectors of our economy do not really want to do that. It is much more convenient to use them as political tools while also using their under market priced labor.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You keep saying that. I keep telling you I didn't miss that part.

I don't know if she's married to a US citizen, or married to an alien, or not married at all. All I've read about is her two kids, who were born here and are US citizens. Your explanation, as I read it, was that she could appeal her deportation to Mexico on the basis that it would create a hardship for her daughters, who are US citizens, and who she supports.

What am I missing? Because that sounds like the definition of an anchor baby.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: This is going to get ugly (Deportation). [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
No kidding. The bar for who we're obligated to let stay in the country gets lower all the time.

I think once people realize that a huge portion of identity theft is from people here illegally it will sway public opinion even more in the direction of the Trumpers.

I personally know 5 different people who have been victims of ID theft (fucking nightmare) and every one was stolen from by and illegal alien.

Another big problem we have around here is illegal alien drivers getting in accident. No license, no insurance, no registration. In so called sancuary cities these driver are just let go. The person (citizen) that gets hit is fucked.

I think there's a certain pro triathlete who posts on this site who could chime in better on this, if I'm not mistaken....

This happened to my sister 6 months ago-
She was driving down a main street (4 lanes) she was in the fast lane when out of fucking nowhere this dude in the right lane decides to pull a fucking U turn. His car plowed right into my sisters car totaling her Corolla that she kept in mint condition. She fractured both of her wrist (she teaches piano for a living) massive rib pain, bloody nose, black eye mostly from the impact of the air bag. Banged her knee so bad it still bugs her. A lot of mental anguish...
When the accident happened she called me immediately. By the time I could get to the crash sight they had already carted her off in a ambulance. My second biggest concern was did the driver have insurance, she was driving through a community that is filled with middle easterners. There was still a police officer there so I asked him did the driver have insurance. With a big sigh of relief for me the cop said he did.

Well later on as it turns out NO the fucker did not have insurance. The driver (age around 50 years) showed the cops the passengers insurance card (his dad's) so he wouldn't get fined (it is illegal to drive without insurance in Ca.). So now my sister's insurance has to pay for all the medical and collision.

Now I am not positive this guy was an illegal, he could of easily been one of Obama's refugees, my sister said he didn't speak much English so I can only assume. Since our government has no interest in tracking these hidden cost we have to pay, we will probably never know how bad it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious if this is presented as an argument for or against changing the current enforcement of immigration policy?
The way I read this is "Jose" breaks the law by illegally entering the country then circumvents the immigration rules and then is allowed to stay in the country. So reinforcing the message that there is no need to follow the rules and go through the legal immigration process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

I don't know if she's married to a US citizen, or married to an alien, or not married at all. All I've read about is her two kids, who were born here and are US citizens. Your explanation, as I read it, was that she could appeal her deportation to Mexico on the basis that it would create a hardship for her daughters, who are US citizens, and who she supports.

You are missing the part that you can appeal and apply for a lot of things. Hell, Don appealed too. Just because you CAN appeal something doesn't mean it is going to work. Just ask Don.

If you care to learn more about it try here: http://firrp.org/...rCancellation-en.pdf

Or try reading the WaPo article I linked. It goes into great detail. I am certain there are a handful of cases that would fall into the mythical anchor baby class. But one or two offs don't make it a real thing that we need to change the law for. Bad cases make bad law. Don't get hung up on one or two instances.

There are real problems with our immigration system. Anchor babies are simply not one of them.

Quote Reply
Re: This is going to get ugly (Deportation). [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got two stories about illegals and our court system, both happened under Bill Clinton, so yes, none of this is new.

Living in the Denver area in the late 90s. We were driving on a 4 lane one way when a woman ran the stop light and headed into traffic right in front of us. We hit her at 45 mph on her passenger side. Our car was totaled and we were lucky to be alive. She was illegal, no drivers license, no insurance and the car she was driving was not registered. She was able to get the vehicle to run and the cops, after giving her a ticket for all the infractions allowed her to drive away while we were told, tough luck; we will give you a ride to the train station.

Our insurance company forced us to cover the deductible and our rates went up. She went to court and received a fine for running a red light while all charges associated with no insurance, registration or license were suspended and she was allowed to stay in the country.

A friend was shot and killed by a hunter in Western Colorado. The illegal ran back home to Mexico where the Mexican government refused to have the man extradited. Why? Because American courts are so dangerous for illegals. Nothing, nothing was ever done because the U.S. government walked away stating to the widow (who had two small children), sorry but that's just the way it is. When she asked what would happen if the man ever stepped foot back in the United States she was told that it was doubtful they would ever know if he was here or not and even if they did nothing would likely happen to him.

Sorry, no sympathy for the woman in Arizona. If she wants to be with her kids they can move Mexico. It is time to clean up the mess that the Mexican and American governments have created. You are here illegally and you get in trouble with the law you immediately go home. No questions asked no second chances. You come back across and you immediately go to jail. Done, tough crap.

getcereal wrote:
Duffy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
No kidding. The bar for who we're obligated to let stay in the country gets lower all the time.

I think once people realize that a huge portion of identity theft is from people here illegally it will sway public opinion even more in the direction of the Trumpers.

I personally know 5 different people who have been victims of ID theft (fucking nightmare) and every one was stolen from by and illegal alien.

Another big problem we have around here is illegal alien drivers getting in accident. No license, no insurance, no registration. In so called sancuary cities these driver are just let go. The person (citizen) that gets hit is fucked.

I think there's a certain pro triathlete who posts on this site who could chime in better on this, if I'm not mistaken....

This happened to my sister 6 months ago-
She was driving down a main street (4 lanes) she was in the fast lane when out of fucking nowhere this dude in the right lane decides to pull a fucking U turn. His car plowed right into my sisters car totaling her Corolla that she kept in mint condition. She fractured both of her wrist (she teaches piano for a living) massive rib pain, bloody nose, black eye mostly from the impact of the air bag. Banged her knee so bad it still bugs her. A lot of mental anguish...
When the accident happened she called me immediately. By the time I could get to the crash sight they had already carted her off in a ambulance. My second biggest concern was did the driver have insurance, she was driving through a community that is filled with middle easterners. There was still a police officer there so I asked him did the driver have insurance. With a big sigh of relief for me the cop said he did.

Well later on as it turns out NO the fucker did not have insurance. The driver (age around 50 years) showed the cops the passengers insurance card (his dad's) so he wouldn't get fined (it is illegal to drive without insurance in Ca.). So now my sister's insurance has to pay for all the medical and collision.

Now I am not positive this guy was an illegal, he could of easily been one of Obama's refugees, my sister said he didn't speak much English so I can only assume. Since our government has no interest in tracking these hidden cost we have to pay, we will probably never know how bad it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You are missing the part that you can appeal and apply for a lot of things.

OK.

Just to recap: I expressed surprise that an illegal immigrant could be convicted of a felony and then remain in the country for another 8 or 9 years, and wondered how that was possible.

You replied that if deporting her would create a hardship for US citizens- her kids, in this case- she could appeal deportation on those grounds. If that's the case, those are anchor babies. I got the impression from what you wrote that it would stand a good chance of succeeding if she hadn't been convicted of a felony, and less chance of succeeding with the felony conviction, and I further note once again that I did in fact read the part about how it doesn't work so well if both parents are aliens. But if that's what she based her appeal on, and why she wasn't immediately deported after her conviction, it worked for the better part of a decade.

I am certain there are a handful of cases that would fall into the mythical anchor baby class. But one or two offs don't make it a real thing that we need to change the law for

Mythical? It was your explanation of why she was likely still here 8 years after her felony conviction. "Let me explain to exactly how anchor babies would allow that to happen. No, there's no such thing as anchor babies!"

I have no idea how often it happens or if it's worth changing the law for. What I strongly suspect is that we have plenty of laws in place, we just don't enforce them. But it's ridiculous for an illegal immigrant to be convicted of a felony and to not get deported for 8 or 9 years or probably even longer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Among the things she could be asking for is something called suspension of deportation. If you have been here a minimum amount of time, I want to say 4 years but it could have changed, which she clearly qualifies for, and your removal would create a hardship for a US citizen, which her kids are, they can simply stop deportation and allow you to stay and work.

So the best bet for an illegal alien is to have a baby as fast as they can, keep your nose clean for 4 years and then you're given a free pass. And Trump is saying that if you commit a crime as an illegal alien, you have to be sent home.

I gotta say, Trump is going to win the battle of public opinion on this, by a landslide. As for the kids, they should be sent back with the parents.

Quote Reply
Re: This is going to get ugly (Deportation). [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad! There're stories like this that happen way to often in San Diego. The news never says whether the person is illegal are not, we are not suppose to judge.

The balls of these protesters. I can't imagine moving to somewhere like Australia. Ignore their immigration laws, steal someone identity use their resources. Then when I got caught start protesting and call the Australians unfair. We live in backward times.
Last edited by: getcereal: Feb 10, 17 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: This is going to get ugly (Deportation). [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Among the things she could be asking for is something called suspension of deportation. If you have been here a minimum amount of time, I want to say 4 years but it could have changed, which she clearly qualifies for, and your removal would create a hardship for a US citizen, which her kids are, they can simply stop deportation and allow you to stay and work.

So the best bet for an illegal alien is to have a baby as fast as they can, keep your nose clean for 4 years and then you're given a free pass. And Trump is saying that if you commit a crime as an illegal alien, you have to be sent home.

I gotta say, Trump is going to win the battle of public opinion on this, by a landslide. As for the kids, they should be sent back with the parents.

It is actually here for 10 years. And again, an alien just having kids with another alien will almost certainly not work. Read the story I related.above. That is how it can work. And it is never ever ever a sure thing. You have to convince the judge. And the judge is decidedly not sympathetic. And crimes will fuck that plan right up. And that predates Trump by forever.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

First, I have no idea of what the particulars of her case are. Haven't read it and don't really care. I'm just going off the bare bones of what I know, which is illegal alien, here since she was a kid, a couple kids of her own. We could use an entirely different set of facts and I could keep you here probably just as long.

Vitus is a single illegal alien from Iceland. 30 years old, no kids. And if you don't be dumb and commit felonies it would be real nice. First you wait until you get put into proceedings, then I file for asylum, it won't work, Iceland is nice, but it takes times. Then I appeal that. Then I appeal the final order. Time, time, time.

The reason she is able to stay is not the kids. It is that each step of the way takes time. The kids are one of the facts I would use as a lawyer, but it would not work, as it did not in this case. So if her kids are anchors, they are damn poor anchors. The time it takes to process is the reason she stayed this long, not the kids.

Have to go to a meeting. Cutting this short. Courts take time is the real deal here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

First, I have no idea of what the particulars of her case are. Haven't read it and don't really care. I'm just going off the bare bones of what I know,

I understand that. And I'm just going off the explanation you gave, which was "anchor babies."

I don't know what it is that triggers you every time someone says that. According to you, it's a real thing. I also understand that there are other reasons to base an appeal on. They're just as objectionable.

The reason she is able to stay is not the kids. It is that each step of the way takes time.

It never works? If it never works, why does it take so much time to go through the process? Why do we let her appeal based on a rationale that never works?

What's the rate of success for appeals based on creating hardship for a US citizen?

Quote Reply
Re: This is going to get ugly (Deportation). [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
Curious if this is presented as an argument for or against changing the current enforcement of immigration policy?
The way I read this is "Jose" breaks the law by illegally entering the country then circumvents the immigration rules and then is allowed to stay in the country. So reinforcing the message that there is no need to follow the rules and go through the legal immigration process.

Neither. It is how it works. Feel free to agree or disagree.

Our Congress decided that under certain circumstances it was preferable to allow people to stay who would otherwise not be able to. Among the things they were worried about was hardship to US citizens, likelihood of people ending up on public assistance, humanitarian reasons. etc.

I personally think that keeping a hardworking guy like Jose, (who entered legally btw but that is neither here nor there) who was supporting his family, is preferable to him being sent to Mexico, his US spouse divorcing him because, while she loved him, she had no desire to live in Mexico, and his children being raised without a father. Jose's crime was not one of violence, drugs or deceit.

You are free to think differently and lobby your Congress to change the law.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if I am being extra unclear or you are just fucking with me. Or both.

And don't assume I am arguing for or against all of this. Just relating how it actually works. And I am writing this while doing actual paying work so this is certainly not up to legal filing standards.

And don't assume that we are on opposite sides of this issue. Allowing people to circumvent the legal process (and btw cancellation of deportation, asylum, birth right citizenship, marrying a US citizen, etc. are all part of the legal process) by just not deporting them by executive branch decision or encouraging illegal immigration by making jobs freely available, etc. puts people who are following the process at a disadvantage. I just really don't like using powerless people to score political points.

I understand that. And I'm just going off the explanation you gave, which was "anchor babies."

No. That is not the explanation. If I use Vitus from Iceland I could file an asylum claim based on the allegation that he was going to experience religious persecution if he were sent home. That wouldn't work. Iceland doesn't really engage in that and the judge would be really not happy with me. But it would take time. And if my goal is to take time I throw everything I can find at it. While they most likely will not work it will take time. And you never know. I'd rather use a basis that won't encourage the judge to find me in contempt, but they usually don't throw lawyers in jail for that and when they do it usually isn't federal pound me in the ass kind of jail.

I don't know what it is that triggers you every time someone says that.

Because they aren't a thing. And people are arguing that we should change the Constitution on something that is not a thing.

According to you, it's a real thing

I have no idea where you got that I say they are a real thing. Unless you are using a different definition than I am. If you want to say a process that takes 21 - 30+ years and even then comes with more pitfalls is what we are talking about is the definition then I suppose they are a real thing. This feels like when you tell someone that the odds of something happening are 800,865,753,129 to one. And they say, "so you are saying there's a chance."

It never works?

Never is a very strong word. I did not and would not say that. But I would also tell them that their chances are very slim and we shouldn't count on it.

If it never works, why does it take so much time to go through the process? Why do we let her appeal based on a rationale that never works?

I have to assume you are familiar with the US court system and that it works the same in Idaho that it works every where else. That is the reason.

And cancellation of removal (and I have no idea if she actually applied for it in this particular case) is something you do during deportation proceedings, not on appeal. Though again, you throw everything you can at an appeal.

What's the rate of success for appeals based on creating hardship for a US citizen?

No clue. Feel free to research that. The pdf I linked above, http://firrp.org/...rCancellation-en.pdf is 51 pages long. It condenses a very complex area into 51 pages. There is no way to condense everything that goes into it into a forum post.

Quote Reply

Prev Next