Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will the Ban Stand
Quote | Reply
I guess we'll see any moment now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/...avel-ban-on-Thursday

I have no idea. I think they should let it stand and expedite movement to the SCOTUS.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Will the Ban Stand [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was upheld by the appeals court - let's see if Trump takes it to the SCOTUS.
Quote Reply
Re: Will the Ban Stand [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can he wait until after his nomination goes through?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3-0, need to read the ruling....
Quote Reply
Re: Will the Ban Stand [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:

No, this is an urgent matter that needs the most immediate action!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this gets expedited and goes four to four I bet it goes up again in fulll court. If the ruling g goes to his favor iii will validate every person who voted for him solely on the court.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!

latest Tweet...
Quote Reply
Re: Will the Ban Stand [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yes, and he may just drop it (all the while complaining loudly and bitterly). This stay is on a temporary ban that was supposed to only exist for a short period of time. The issue will be effectively mooted if he has to wait.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 9, 17 15:54
Quote Reply
Re: Will the Ban Stand [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt he'll drop it but if he does he will blame any future terrorist attacks on liberals - so there's that.
Quote Reply
Re: Will the Ban Stand [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not drop this EO and just issue a different one, similar but not the same?

Get someone to file a an order against it in a different court?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly they used personal statements by officials. Not the letter of the law. Also Boston circuit didn't even here it because to the letter of the law was consistent with presidential domain over immigration. If there was evidence of politics oh he rove, there you have it. I'm not bothered either way. But I am disturbed courts come up with different decisions.

Either way is a refugee or another Muslim or middle eastern person kills people it will benefit trump.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't that the essence of double jeopardy? If the SC deadlocks, it affirms the lower court ruling. On what basis does it then get re-litigated?
Quote Reply
Re: Will the Ban Stand [sea.bryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As it stands, the case is unlikely to be overturned by a 4-4 SCOTUS (it may not even get a hearing). By the time they get the ninth member, the temporary order will be supplanted by a permanent policy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Either way is a refugee or another Muslim or middle eastern person kills people it will benefit trump.

You are correct, but its sad that you are correct. What will happen is some white Christian nut job will kill a bunch of people in a mall and it won't make a difference. Then some Arabic nut job who was either born in Egypt, or born here, or something that this bad would not have impacted will shoot up a night club and Trump will blame it on liberals. News sources will point out that he's wrong. He'll tweet #FakeNews and enough people will be fooled that he'll get reelected.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Will the Ban Stand [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because they're stupid

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I doubt he'll drop it but if he does he will blame any future terrorist attacks on liberals - so there's that.

That will happen regardless.
Quote Reply
Re: Will the Ban Stand [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
As it stands, the case is unlikely to be overturned by a 4-4 SCOTUS (it may not even get a hearing). By the time they get the ninth member, the temporary order will be supplanted by a permanent policy.

I'm thinking that to. This may well serve as a trial balloon for the limits he can get away with on a longer policy.

It plays well with his base and beyond.

His base will see it s he is trying to fulfill promises a system that has written them off will not allow him to keep. I don't agree with that, but many will. Others will see this as just another example of activist judges and validate holding up garland and voting for trump despite all his flaws.

I fall in the second. Between the gun and and other decisions the ninth circuit has made, im glad garland didn't eve get a chance.

Last edited by: TheForge: Feb 9, 17 16:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

You are correct, but its sad that you are correct. What will happen is some white Christian nut job will kill a bunch of people in a mall and it won't make a difference. Then some Arabic nut job who was either born in Egypt, or born here, or something that this bad would not have impacted will shoot up a night club and Trump will blame it on liberals. News sources will point out that he's wrong. He'll tweet #FakeNews and enough people will be fooled that he'll get reelected.

You're probably right...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sea.bryan wrote:
Isn't that the essence of double jeopardy? If the SC deadlocks, it affirms the lower court ruling. On what basis does it then get re-litigated?

I will defer to the lawyers, but my understanding is that this is just a decision on the injunction, not the legal merits of the EO. Basically the state showed that the EO does harm to its people and there may be enough legal issues with it that it may be illegal. The process of determining the legality of the EO hasn't really been started yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Will the Ban Stand [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I was more interested in the notion that if a case goes before the SC and the court is deadlocked, I don't think the issue can be re-tried once there are nine judges, which is what was suggested in the post I was questioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
because they're stupid

What the "judges" think, even though their level of proof is not required for the ban to be implemented. “The Government has pointed to no evidence that an alien of the countries named in the Order has perpetrated a terrorist attack in the United States,” the three-member panel wrote.
“Rather than present evidence to explain the need for the Executive Order, the Government has taken the position that we must not review its decision at all. We disagree.”

Reality

False Statement: "But we must remember that no citizen from the seven countries included in Trump’s ban has participated in a recent terror attack against the U.S." Abdul Razak Ali Artan, the Ohio State U attacker. And, "The Ohio State incident follows a knife attack in September in which a 22-year-old Somali-American stabbed 10 people at a St. Cloud, Minn., shopping mall before being shot to death by an off-duty officer. Authorities said he asked some of his victims if they were Muslim. ISIL later claimed credit for the attack, and Comey said the St. Cloud assailant was likely acting as a “soldier” for the terror group." - USA Today “at least 380 of the 580 individuals convicted of terrorism or terrorism-related offenses between September 11, 2001 and December 31, 2014, were born abroad.” Of the 380 foreign-born, at least 24 were initially admitted to the United States as refugees, and at least 33 had overstayed their visas. Additionally, of those born abroad, at least 62 were from Pakistan, 28 were from Lebanon, 22 were Palestinian, 21 were from Somalia, 20 were from Yemen, 19 were from Iraq, 16 were from Jordan, 17 were from Egypt, and 10 were from Afghanistan." [http://www.sessions.senate.gov/.../at-least-580...]

More reality.

http://ijr.com/2017/02/796192-delta-force-operator-gives-media-some-basic-training-on-navy-seals-death-theyre-blaming-on-trump/

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Last edited by: Rodred: Feb 9, 17 17:50
Quote Reply
Re: Will the Ban Stand [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
Why not drop this EO and just issue a different one, similar but not the same?

Get someone to file a an order against it in a different court?

I wondered the same thing. One less broad.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sea.bryan wrote:

A tie isn't a solution. And can be reheard.

Quote Reply