Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School me on long-term health care
Quote | Reply
My mom is in an assisted living facility, and her long-term health care plan which she probably joined 30 years ago is paying a sizable portion. Got me to thinking about getting it myself, and the GFand I ended up talking to an agent and applying to Genworth. She was accepted, I was denied because of A-Fib and associated hypertrophy, even with a letter from my cardiologist about what a magnificent physical specimen I am. The numbers looked pretty good for a shared plan that they offer where the total available from 2 insurees can be split as needed between the 2; so if one ends up needing a lot and the other little or nothing, you can have all the benefits go toward the costs of the one in need. Statistically, seems like you would be more likely to maximize your payout. She is going to go ahead on her own, but has a few weeks to make the commitment. What sucks is that we applied when we were 49 & 59, respectively. I have now turned 60, which affects my rate. Assuming there are other providers out there that might judge differently, I want to look around, but what's the collective wisdom here?
  • worth it at all at today's rates?
  • if yes, which providers are good?
  • through agent or online/direct?
  • start at 60 or wait closer to the next age-related increase?
  • is the joint plan as big an advantage as I originally thought or not so much?

Thanks in advance

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: School me on long-term health care [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the bottom lines are it pays to shop around and knowing how much insurance you really need is paramount to making a good financial decision:

"Rates for single men and women remained fairly level or, in some instances, went down compared to 2016. A single man could expect to pay an average of $1,050 a year for $164,000 worth of coverage, a 3 percent increase over last year, although the same policy with inflation protection is now 20 percent cheaper, at $1,665 a year. The same two policies for single women average $1,600 and $2,600 a year, respectively, essentially the same as 2016."

But the association points out that costs for virtually identical policy coverage still varies significantly from one insurer to the next. Its analysis found rates varied by as much as 70 percent for the same coverage. For example, a 55-year-old single woman could pay as little as $1,450 a year or as much as $2,650, depending on which insurer she buys from"

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not had a lot of experience only what a broker has told my company.

I would avoid Genworth, they are the big seller but also if you look at their stock price and bond ratings the company is not very stable. They do nothing but LTC. You will get motion sickness looking at their 10y stock price.

Back when your mother signed up for long term care the actuaries messed up big time and the rates were way lower then what they were needed to be sustainable. Today you see rates going up 30-50% a year.

If your seriously considering it I would go through John Hancock or Mass Mutual. They are generally the best from what I heard.

Editing to add: I also heard go through an experienced broker, there are some questions on the applications that if you don't answer perfectly the way the company wants it, you will be denied coverage. The broker should walk you through the application.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Feb 9, 17 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only experience I had with it was with my folks when they went into assisted living a few years back. They had theirs through Genworth (they were excellent from a service standpoint, never had an issue with them) and it was a huge help to them in the time that they needed it.

I haven't purchased yet for myself (only 51) but am looking at it in the next few years before premiums get too high.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply