Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Parents: 1 on 1 Kid Outings [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you're right about the kids becoming unshakable.

I'm also really sorry to hear about your dad. It sounds like you were both lucky to have an incredible relationship & that he'll carry on through you in many ways. He must have been a great man. I wish you peace as you mourn and heal.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents: 1 on 1 Kid Outings [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I hope you're right about the kids becoming unshakable.

I'm also really sorry to hear about your dad. It sounds like you were both lucky to have an incredible relationship & that he'll carry on through you in many ways. He must have been a great man. I wish you peace as you mourn and heal.
Thank you kindly. Yesterday I dropped off coffee, cookies and tea to my fathers friends at the community center and not one bad word was said about him and many knew a lot of me. One ask that I visit more often so that he can see my face to remind him of my father. We dote on one another to a fault and to know the relationship that makes sense to US. I have a friend who also has a close relationship to her mother and though she has a family of her own, the mother comes first. It is a beautiful thing. I truly wish for others to have and know the absolute togetherness between a parent and a child no matter how crazy it can be at times.

Quote | Reply
My kids are now 18 & 16 and we've done this for a number of years now. Lots of small things- a meal, skiing, shopping. But also some pretty epic things involving air travel. These, by far, are the most memorable experiences. And they have multiple benefits. Since Mrs Crises and I work together if one of us stays home working the hit to income isn't as harsh. The inevitable bickering between siblings is gone. Decision making is easier when only two are involved.

I encourage everyone I know to do this kind of thing. It makes for great relationships and offers tons of teachable moments
Quote Reply
Re: Parents: 1 on 1 Kid Outings [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
Just read THIS the other day and it got me thinking about the same thing. My daughter is only 2 so we haven't had many opportunities yet but I'd like to make it a point to do solo outings with her as she gets older. Curious to hear others experiences.
good read, my youngest daughter just turned 2 as well. I have a blast hanging out with her but I'm not sure I'm up for an 8 day outing solo.

Yeah I question what memories anyone under the age of about 5 any child truly preserves. Perhaps with today's technology it might be easier. But that's a lot of money for something I doubt lasts in their minds - isn't that the person that counts afterall?
Quote Reply
Re: Parents: 1 on 1 Kid Outings [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first memory was at 25 months of age when I first saw my newborn brother and mom in the hospital. Memories are more spotty after that, but it's one I can pinpoint vividly.

I'm not sure that the real importance is the kid remembering exact details of where they went with the parent, what the did, etc. as much as it's about developing the relationship of love, trust, and commitment. Maybe doing some things in new places and new experiences may result in some fun and galvanize the relational aspects of the experience in a way being at home or in familiar territory wouldn't.

By the way -- had much fun with the little lady today. She wanted to see Moana so we went to that and picked up ingredients to make a special treat together when we got home. She may have a sugar crash soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents: 1 on 1 Kid Outings [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't question the bonding aspect, I question the going all out side of things. I was taken on a round the world trip when I was 6. My other siblings were 1,2 and 8. I barely remember any of it. The younger two have no memories.

The same bonding experiences can be had locally at a fraction of the cost (your movie and cooking being a prime example). Perhaps I'd think differently if I had more disposable income but the cynic in me wonders how much is about the child and how much is about the pressure of needing to do things bigger and better.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents: 1 on 1 Kid Outings [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why we are making dinner together tonight. It doesn't cost anything extra.
Quote Reply

Prev Next