Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When to replace a trainer?
Quote | Reply
I have one of the grey colored Kurt Kinetic fluid trainers. I bought it, used, and I've been using it for a couple years. The only thing I notice about it is.........it seems to be a little "uneven" in the amount of tension applied. Maybe they're all like that.....but, I don't remember the Cycleops (it was new) I had, previously, being that way. This is no cut on Kurt. If I buy a new one....it'll likely be a Kurt.

When do you know it's time to replace a trainer......short of "when it explodes"?
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace a trainer? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have two KK trainers - an older one (picture below) and a newer one. The older one has seen some miles, but I road on it last night and it's still working just fine. Tension clamp mech had to be replaced a few years ago, but KK's awesome customer service handled that straight-away, no questions asked. Sent it express post to Canada! Was here in two days!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace a trainer? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the one I have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
I have one of the grey colored Kurt Kinetic fluid trainers. I bought it, used, and I've been using it for a couple years. The only thing I notice about it is.........it seems to be a little "uneven" in the amount of tension applied. Maybe they're all like that.....but, I don't remember the Cycleops (it was new) I had, previously, being that way. This is no cut on Kurt. If I buy a new one....it'll likely be a Kurt.

When do you know it's time to replace a trainer......short of "when it explodes"?
Clamping "tension" (actually compression) or pedaling resistance?
Besides the wheel/roller slipping or being out of true, I can't see any likely way that the fluid unit could provide uneven resistance. It's a rotor in fluid so even if the viscosity changes or the rotor gets worn, the resistance should be even, though maybe different than when you first got it.
I have a KK Road Machine too. Newer green one but still a few years old. I've had what feels like uneven pedal resistance before but it was when the bicycle wheel was not running true.
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace a trainer? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sort of feels like a dead spot when the tension is set high(er). I don't notice it on the Computrainer....with the same bike (and wheel).

Hard to describe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replace the bolt and knob that tensions the roller against the wheel. Mine stripped and began to feel tight before there was sufficient force of the roller against the wheel. Eventually, I twisted it so tightly that the bolt broke. When I got new, it was golden again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same trainer and been using it for a good 5-6 years and my dad used it for a few years before that. I replaced the tension knob a few years ago but besides that it works fine. I've noticed an indentation that has been worked in from the hour and hours of trainer time on the wheel but that doesn't seem to have any impact. Some days I want to upgrade to something new but I see no real reason for it now.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both my wife and I (more the wife) have cranked out a lot of miles on that unit.

We bought another KK unit when my wife started leading indoor ride sessions a few years ago. So the new unit stays at the studio and, old-reliable stays at home. We also have a couple of sets of basic rollers. I go back and forth - a couple sessions on the rollers, then over to the KK for some more intense work.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply