Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I do not want to join Facebook BUT.........i need some info
Quote | Reply
it appears that there are certain things its simply not possible to do in life without being on facebook, so in that context I think I may need to join...............its not to reply to articles on the front page :)

can someone tell me if its possible to:

join and for no one to have any visibility at all that you are a member?
is it easy to delete your account and all traces of it?
if there is a classifieds page which someone has set up on which I would like to advertise something is it possible for me to post an add but for there to be no publicly available information about me?

if i do join and it is possible to remain private - are people notified that I have become a member by facebook in someway - in the same way linkedin seems to know who is in your contact book?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: I do not want to join Facebook BUT.........i need some info [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Facebook tracks you even when the app is closed. It stores your face and you will always be in their database algorithm.
Quote Reply
Re: I do not want to join Facebook BUT.........i need some info [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha. I have been contemplating setting up another just so I can cut sick in comments sections of news sites and not have old school friends see how raving mad I've become.

Otherwise I have nothing further to add!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

I'm not sure if you can have no visibility. You can stay fairly anonymous but it will limit what you can post and who can see it.

Andrewmc wrote:
Easy to delete your account but not all traces of it.

Andrewmc wrote:

if there is a classifieds page which someone has set up on which I would like to advertise something is it possible for me to post an add but for there to be no publicly available information about me?

At the very least other people would be able to view your profile. You can limit what personal info is available on your profile but you cannot post things anonymously.

Andrewmc wrote:

if i do join and it is possible to remain private - are people notified that I have become a member by facebook in someway - in the same way linkedin seems to know who is in your contact book?

I don't believe Facebook uses Outlook contacts or anything. It uses a "people you may know" function to suggest new friends based on the friends you already have. You can set it so that only friends of your current friends can send you requests, and i guess you could choose to have no friends at all, but that would severely limit anything you can do in terms of posting stuff, seeing other peoples' info, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a FB account that I think I created for a raffle contest. No friends and nothing on it. Don't use it for anything.

It annoys the shit out of me some of the places that only use FB for updates. For example the YMCA we belong to has a great app. Facility status, schedules , membership card plus some other stuff. But they never update any of the info on it. When I asked once why something wasn't open which showed as open on app I was told I should like the Y on FB. We update everything on there and send out updates through it. They put every shitty little detail about the place on FB. But can't update the app to say the pools closed for mechanical issues.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Feb 9, 17 9:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Create an account with fake name and information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not one of zuckerbergs sheep

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
it appears that there are certain things its simply not possible to do in life without being on facebook, so in that context I think I may need to join...............its not to reply to articles on the front page :)

thanks

1. Your name is gonna show if someone searches, you can not have a profile pic so it would be hard to verify it is actually you.

2. It is very hard to delete an account once it is set up. It is easy to "deactivate" an account, but it everything is still there just waiting for you to click the reactivate button. Actual deletion is hidden in the back corner of FB, it requires a multi step process that they don't make obvious, and even once you have completed all the steps, if you visit the page again within 30 days it cancels the deletion process.

3. No one is going to buy something from a faceless, no info name on FB.

I was an original back when it was only for college students. Deleted it in 2009, came back in 2012 because my cycling team uses it for everything. Necessary evil unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a throw-away email address and fake name, since the pages I need to reference thankfully don't need to actually know who I am. No pics, no nothin' else on the account.

The few times I have to look stuff up there serve as a good reminder what a shit-hole that place is - I hate it, but it's unfortunately the only effin' place some groups post information. Ugh.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply