Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hillbilly Elegy... yes/no?
Quote | Reply
Hillbilly Elegy... without spoiling the ending (Col Mustard in the Library with the Candlestick!!!)... is it worth a read?
Quote Reply
Re: Hillbilly Elegy... yes/no? [MOP_Roy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read it a while back - first half or so was pretty good as a story, but then he got preachy and his facts didn't line up. Also worships the corps a little to much for my taste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worth the read.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Hillbilly Elegy... yes/no? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
I read it a while back - first half or so was pretty good as a story, but then he got preachy and his facts didn't line up. Also worships the corps a little to much for my taste.

As a retired jarhead, this just makes me want to read it more, to reinforce my already over inflated opinion of myself...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, there was already a thread on this book some time ago - look it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I found it very informative. As someone who has worked in and out of higher education, the issues highlighted are very real in our rural communities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Roy wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

As a retired jarhead, this just makes me want to read it more, to reinforce my already over inflated opinion of myself...

Then you, like me, will like it more. No pink. It really points out how the "transformation" that the Marines talk about is life long and a path upward for those who have few options.

For me it also hit close to home as I have extended family from southern Ohio, many of who have fallen into some of the ruts described in the book.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've read it. My take is that his conclusions are overly broad--I don't think you can take a whole region of the country and extrapolate the failings of some to the entire population.

Also, the whole Marine Corps connection has been way overplayed. There was little in the book directly speaking about his time in the Marines, other to say that being in the Marines helped him realize that the previous path he was on wasn't going to succeed for him. So what?

My overall take--not really worth the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Hillbilly Elegy... yes/no? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My view of JD Vance has declined over the last couple of years as he sought to become a Senate candidate and seemed to stray from his prior rising path to now take the low ground.

Tom Nichols does a nice job of putting into words some of my less organized thoughts about him in this article.

Quote:
What do we call a man who turns on everything he once claimed to believe? For a practitioner of petty and self-serving duplicity, we use “sellout” or “backstabber.” (Sometimes we impugn the animal kingdom and call him a rat, a skunk, or a weasel.) For grand betrayals of weightier loyalties—country and faith—we invoke the more solemn terms of “traitor” or “apostate.”

But what should we call J. D. Vance, the self-described hillbilly turned Marine turned Ivy League law-school graduate turned venture capitalist turned Senate candidate? Words fail. His perfidy to his own people in Ohio is too big to allow him to escape with the label of “opportunist,” and yet the shabbiness and absurdity of his Senate campaign is too small to brand him a defector or a heretic.
Instead of a truth-teller in his own community, Vance as a candidate has become a contemptible and cringe-inducing clown. His attempts at authenticity are so grating because they are so blatantly artificial. His recent tweets, for example, attempting to ingratiate himself with rural Ohioans by slagging New York City were embarrassingly amateurish;
Instead of a candidate who’s willing to speak hard truths to his people, Ohioans now have a native son who has returned to weaponize their resentment and cultural dysfunctions. His ambition is fueled by the money of others who would never deign to live in the Midwest. And like other populist charlatans, he has convinced himself that he should be anointed to lead the rubes out of their misery.
Vance would no doubt welcome terms such as populist, savior, native son. But when thinking of a plastic fraud trying to harvest their votes, poor and working-class voters might come up with a different word.

https://www.theatlantic.com/...pse-jd-vance/619428/

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've not seen much content from Vance the candidate, but I have seen quite a bit of criticism from the twitterverse and media. What is he doing or saying that's getting people riled up, what is it you disagree with him on?
Quote Reply
Re: Hillbilly Elegy... yes/no? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
I've not seen much content from Vance the candidate, but I have seen quite a bit of criticism from the twitterverse and media. What is he doing or saying that's getting people riled up, what is it you disagree with him on?

He has adopted the elections strategy of no platform and no policy agenda, just sow hate and division to get elected.
He thinks being an "asshole" is his brand. (Nichols tries not to call him that in the article, and fails.)

I'm pretty tired of all of that.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:

He has adopted the elections strategy of no platform and no policy agenda, just sow hate and division to get elected.
He thinks being an "asshole" is his brand. (Nichols tries not to call him that in the article, and fails.)

I'm pretty tired of all of that.

He also engaged in a significant amount of revisionist history, deleting his social media posts that criticized Trump. Not he spends his time spewing many of the same Trump populist talking points he criticized.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/j-d-vance-s-twitter-trolling-new-york-city-trump-ncna1273888
Quote Reply
Re: Hillbilly Elegy... yes/no? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:

You haven't seen a lot of content because there isn't a lot of content. He started out as a strident anti-Trumper calling his views on immigration and Muslims "reprehensible" and Trump in general "heroin" for the sorts of communities Vance seeks to speak for. Then a few years later, when it came time to actually launch his political career and it was obvious Trumpism was the only path to a GOP nomination, can you guess what he did?

I read the book back when I had zero contempt for the guy personally and like a lot of guilty liberals was trying to figure out WTF was going on. I was open to it being a profound and important read. I was disappointed. I didn't find it particularly insightful or even well written.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Hillbilly Elegy... yes/no? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about the author, but I tried to read the book when it was being praised here. I didn't get very far with it. I thought it was a load of crap.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Hillbilly Elegy... yes/no? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
I read the book back when I had zero contempt for the guy personally and like a lot of guilty liberals was trying to figure out WTF was going on. I was open to it being a profound and important read. I was disappointed. I didn't find it particularly insightful or even well written.

That is pretty much my take on the book.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hillbilly Elegy... yes/no? [Xyz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased it and read it after Trump got elected into office. My motivation was to understand why certain demographics voted for him (like many liberal folks trying to make sense of the election results). I found the book interesting and insightful but did have its flaws. And it didn't represent everyone who voted for Trump.

On a personal note. I am not a hateful person. As a left-leaning person with some Libertarian beliefs, I never felt hatred towards Bush senior or junior. I had respect for McCain (in spite of his running mate lol) and Romney, even if I disagreed with many of their policies. Trump is the first political figure where both myself and husband felt deep, seething hatred towards another human being (I have never been comfortable about that). I could not find any redeeming qualities in Trump. He basically spit in the faces of every left-leaning person in the country. And then the pussy tapes came out. My hatred was cemented. I still loathe him. Back then, I needed to understand why certain people supported, embraced, worshiped and even loved Trump. I've learned a lot about those who still embrace him over the years. The book touches on some good points but it's not representative to the entire rise of Trumpism.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply