Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Secret to Running a Faster Marathon? Slow Down-Breaking2 Nike Project
Quote | Reply
Really interesting article here and the science involved. I was really interested to see that Phil Skiba is working with the project and has some interesting points.

https://www.wired.com/...-marathon-2/#slide-5

"The data that the scientists had collected on me also altered my thinking. Nike has recently contracted a garrulous Chicago physician named Phil Skiba, who has trained many elite endurance athletes, to work on Breaking2. Skiba has developed algorithms that accurately measure and predict training loads. He is particularly interested by fatigue, and the balance between what he calls the “positive and negative effects of training.” In particular, Skiba uses athletes’ training data to predict when, before a race, they should begin their taper—that is, to progressively decrease their volume of training so that they arrive on race day fresh and fast.
Every athlete has a different taper point. Some people need only a few days. Some people need weeks. The variations are explained both by differences in workload, and by our physiological differences. Some athletes simply recover quicker from hard training than others, in ways that geneticists and physiologists are still trying to fully understand. Skiba’s data, however, is precise. He and the Breaking2 crew believe that Kipchoge’s taper may have started a day or two late before his previous marathons, and that he would have benefitted from around a week of rest, rather than his normal five days."
Last edited by: ggeiger: Feb 8, 17 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret to Running a Faster Marathon? Slow Down_Breaking2 [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Breaking2? Seriously?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret to Running a Faster Marathon? Slow Down_Breaking2 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gather you hadn't seen that before?

Power13 wrote:
Breaking2? Seriously?

Quote Reply
Re: The Secret to Running a Faster Marathon? Slow Down_Breaking2 [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well schitt.....my picture didn't post....hang on.

OK, hopefully the humor came through this time....Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Last edited by: Power13: Feb 8, 17 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret to Running a Faster Marathon? Slow Down-Breaking2 Nike Project [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody needs to explain to Nike that:

1. Bannister's impulse-response model has been around since 1975, but

2. The precision of the parameter estimates is too poor to accurately predict exactly when someone will peak.
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret to Running a Faster Marathon? Slow Down_Breaking2 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha! Yea, now I see....
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret to Running a Faster Marathon? Slow Down-Breaking2 Nike Project [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought maybe you and Phil would have a conversation....;-)

Andrew Coggan wrote:
Somebody needs to explain to Nike that:

1. Bannister's impulse-response model has been around since 1975, but

2. The precision of the parameter estimates is too poor to accurately predict exactly when someone will peak.
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret to Running a Faster Marathon? Slow Down-Breaking2 Nike Project [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
Quote Reply
Re: The Secret to Running a Faster Marathon? Slow Down-Breaking2 Nike Project [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well played.

Andrew Coggan wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
well played.

Andrew Coggan wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Thanks. (Just an FYI, you're not the horse I meant.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I know. This horse can't keep up to you. :-)

Andrew Coggan wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
well played.

Andrew Coggan wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Thanks. (Just an FYI, you're not the horse I meant.)
Quote Reply