Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Re-Assembly - is it that complicated?
Quote | Reply
So I broke my bike down for travel and re-assembled it. Looked at the manual for the first time and it has all these specifications for the torque and Loctite needed for each type of bolt.

I have a 2013 Madone 2.1. Pretty much entry level road bike but love it and want to properly take care of it.

I don't want to oversimplify the engineering in my bike - when you guys assemble your bikes, do you use torque wrench and loctite?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Re-Assembly - is it that complicated? [carosemena] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I usually just tighten everything until it's firm. If you are worried, you can pick a troque wrench to travel with. No big deal.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carosemena wrote:
So I broke my bike down for travel and re-assembled it. Looked at the manual for the first time and it has all these specifications for the torque and Loctite needed for each type of bolt.

I have a 2013 Madone 2.1. Pretty much entry level road bike but love it and want to properly take care of it.

I don't want to oversimplify the engineering in my bike - when you guys assemble your bikes, do you use torque wrench and loctite?

Yes I always reassemble with a torque wrench, frankly they are not that expensive, and you need tools at your destination anyway. Frankly the ratcheting mech of a torque wrench often decreases assembly time without the risk over tightening. I do not re-loctite things, but I do check all my bolts pretty frequently.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loctite no, torque wrench yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. It's really not that big of a deal. Trek is usually pretty good about labeling torque specs on the various bolts on their bikes. Personally I travel with a beam wrench but Topeak makes a very compact torque set. They come in 4, 5, and 6nm versions.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Re-Assembly - is it that complicated? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks for advice. Any suggestions to the wrench?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never use a torque wrench.

Which bolts on your bike need Loctite?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carosemena wrote:
Awesome thanks for advice. Any suggestions to the wrench?

The BBB wrench set is a good value and easy to carry... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...K5Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's available in lots of places so check around. Do take the time to read the manual and learn how to use it... torque wrenches (especially the micrometer-adjusting type) are not idiot proof.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Park Tool beam wrench. For the Topeak bits, you can just put it on a (5mm?) from whatever multi-tool you travel with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes to torque wrench, no to Loctite. Considering the price of a torque wrench ($50-100), one over tightened bolt would set you back far more than the cost of the wrench. I have a tendency to snug bolts up until I see metal filings come out, so I have also gotten into the habit of using it on non-carbon parts, as well. I went with an adjustable wrench as apposed to the preset wrenches because my bike has 3, 5 and 6nm bolt specs.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A preset wrench like this is only about $20 and will take care of the bars (stem and headset) and saddle clamp which are the fasteners you are most likely to over tighten and do damage. These three things are also 100% of what you need to torque during a travel reassembly. (There is a torque spec for pedals but you can easily do those by feel without breaking anything.

I have 5 torque wrenches in the house (I work on cars for fun too) but this one is all I take with me when I travel with my bike:

http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/bontrager-preset-torque-wrench-76318-1.htm

A real torque wrench is a very good tool to have but this will get you 90% there especially if you do not do a lot of work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Torque wrench, most definitely. The BBB is good. Also check hardware stores for similar as they may be cheaper.

Loctite has 2 jobs, lubricant as you assemble (important), then anti-shake once set (less so). Most times you can happily instead. If you don't lubricate you are likely to apply incorrect torque. Avoid getting grease on carbon components.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Re-Assembly - is it that complicated? [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't use red loctite use blue or purple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't travel with my bike very often (travel that requires breakdown, that is)
But at home, I certainly use a torque wrench. Generally I use the minimum torque if there is a range, and only go higher if there is a problem. I use anti seize compound, carbon paste, lube or locktite as applicable, and make sure all threads are cleaned each time I remove or replace them.

When assembling parts that require removal (ie BB's or other bearings) I lube/grease as recommended, double it, and some more then empty the tube, just for good luck. I wipe off any excess. Note that I live in a rainy windy maritime environment so I lube the crap out of everything on my bike just to I can remove it without the entire neighbourhood learning new words when trying remove a rusted part from a bike. Your mileage may vary.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anything is carbon, it's worth investing in a torque wrench... as others have said, the cost of it pales in comparison to the cost of replacing any of those things that break... I used to scoff at the idea of that and tighten to feel, until I snapped a seat clamp bolt (aluminum clamp and bolt) 30min before a cyclocross race... fortunately a friend of mine had ridden his bike out to watch the race, and our frames are the same brand, so I was able to borrow his seat clamp for the race... After the next day I went out and bought a torque wrench...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Re-Assembly - is it that complicated? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen several of my customers break bolts with a torque wrench.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Re-Assembly - is it that complicated? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't use either. However I don't tend to overtighten things and have never had a problem with something being loose. I guess there is always a first time maybe I will look into a torque wrench.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply