Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rolling over 401k and stocks [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Yes, move the pension money into a self-directed IRA and buy the property within the IRA.

I think it can be done, just not sure why you would want to. Maybe Skip can comment on his motivation.

That was my original question. And that would be considered a rollover whereas there would be no fines. But very few people own real estate within an IRA.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling over 401k and stocks [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know if you can borrow from your own 401K? Many do allow it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling over 401k and stocks [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
There might be ways that this can be done.

But why?

Here's my thought.....

If you were financially ready to move away from generic "retirement savings" and into "real estate investing" ......

then you would probably have the money saved outside of your retirement accounts.

This is the best advice, regardless. He needs to start an investment portfolio outside of his retirement savings. Then, he can do whatever investing he wants.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling over 401k and stocks [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
SkipG wrote:
I'm looking at an investment property, any tips or advice on rolling over a 401k and stocks to finance something like this with minimal penalties?

CPA here. This sounds like a bad idea. There are ways to minimize the hit but if you simply pull the money out to pay for something you're looking at income taxes (at least at your marginal rate and if you pull out enough you may even get some of it taxed at the next bracket) + 10% penalty.

Basically, you're saying that you can do better with that investment property than whatever you're invested in currently (hopefully broad market index & some broad bond index or thereabouts) + your marginal tax rate + the penalty. If you're really that good at picking investments then go ahead. If not, I'd look at alternative sources of funds.
moving forward what kind of investment account would be beneficial if I want to build it up to finance a real estate investment or two?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any investment fund, money market, CD, mattress will do as long as it is not a IRA/Pension account.

Re: Rolling over 401k and stocks [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What about investing in an LLC or LP that owns the property with the IRA funds? The LLC entity should get normal tax treatment for property and the investment into the LLC would be treated as retirement funds, no?

That's outside my scope of knowledge. I don't think it would work that way but that's strictly a guess.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would take the 401K from your previous employer and roll it over to an IRA with a stock broker (w/CFP credentials). Then open an account that is not a retirement account.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling over 401k and stocks [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I notice that when it comes to "real esatate" investing - there seems to be a lot of custom kitchens, marble counter tops, hard wood floors, and high tech refrigerators.

Most people don't seem to realize that these things are not investments at all - unless you have a plan to capitalize on these things more quickly than they depreciate.

Yet, most people claim that they make good money on their real estate investments - anyway.

Not sure how to account for this discrepancy.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Feb 9, 17 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lately- I also find myself ogling- abandoned farm land, historic (but dilapidated) buildings, and other "rental" properties.

I think the biological urge to hoard physical property is strong!

When I start to get carried away I ask:
1) Do I want a part/full time real estate business?
2) Do I want to quit triathlon?

I suppose if the answer were "yes" I might pull the trigger.
But as the answers are "no." I can usually control myself.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Feb 9, 17 12:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#2 is obvious to most of us on the LR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A custom kitchen is what sells the house.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling over 401k and stocks [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
A custom kitchen is what sells the house.

Sure, if you are planning on selling the house NOW.

Then it IS an investment.

But how often is that the case?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned "investing", so I thought you were talking about flipping a house.
Quote Reply

Prev Next