Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimmers - why does this drill work so well for me?
Quote | Reply
Last 2 swim sessions our coach has had us do freestyle pull sets using a small kickboard between our legs like a pullbuoy. Not the large kickboards with holes for your hands, just one of those small-ish thin ones, about A4 size. Now, I normally swim only 3-4 seconds/100m slower with a pullbuoy than without, so my pullbuoy speed is not that different to my speed without a pullbuoy. However with these kickboard sets, I noticed I was swimming about 7-8 second/100m faster than full stroke, without the kickboard (and therefore about 10-12 seconds/100m faster than with a regular pullbuoy). Not only that but it felt very smooth and effortless. Because the kickboard is quite small and thin, you have to grip it quite tightly so there's no kick going on at all.

So what I'm curious to know is - why does this make such a huge difference, and what does it tell you about how I can improve my stroke? Obviously I know it's difficult without seeing the whole picture, but I am fascinated why this particular kickboard drill works so well for me, far better than a normal pullbuoy. Some more general information for background: I have a relatively good body position in the water (i.e. lower body doesn't drop much), but I do have a weak kick and probably quite limited rotation. I'm a long-time swimmer (since childhood) but only ever at club level, not too serious, so plenty of room for improvement. Current CSS pace is around 1:40/100m but looking to get back down to around 1:35 by summer if possible.

Oh, and I'm a girl :)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - why does this drill work so well for me? [lethaldrizzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just want to bump this because I am also curious. Gonna have to try it out at the pool. I found these when looking at the idea online (at bottom of article) Anyone have experience with them. OP (these might be easier to hold onto depending on the buoy u are using.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/...-pull-buoys-compared
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - why does this drill work so well for me? [lethaldrizzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd guess 1-when squeezing the small board between your legs, you're tightening your core to the point you're eliminating a fishtail, or 2 - by holding a board, you're not able to rotate as much, and you've been over rotating your hips relative to your shoulders, and they've been getting stuck behind your stroke. For #2 - when you breathe, how far do you turn your head? Are you keeping one eye in the water, or do you look to the ceiling? If looking to the ceiling, that's another good indicator of too much rotation.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I struggle to grip a standard pull buoy between my legs, let alone a kickboard; I have a big gap between my skinny runners' legs. But I think your 'success' comes from better streamlining, and less turbulence.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - why does this drill work so well for me? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
I'd guess 1-when squeezing the small board between your legs, you're tightening your core to the point you're eliminating a fishtail, or 2 - by holding a board, you're not able to rotate as much, and you've been over rotating your hips relative to your shoulders, and they've been getting stuck behind your stroke. For #2 - when you breathe, how far do you turn your head? Are you keeping one eye in the water, or do you look to the ceiling? If looking to the ceiling, that's another good indicator of too much rotation.

This is my best guess as well^
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - why does this drill work so well for me? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have done a similar drill with focus on touching the kickboard - it definitely helped with the finish phase of my stroke.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess would be a pull buoy is fairly easy to swim with. Kickboard between your legs requires more work. You are concentrating on your overall stroke and body position plus working harder. Never really thought about it before.

ETA - are you putting the kickboard in the same place you would a pull buoy ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Feb 8, 17 7:24
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - why does this drill work so well for me? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your #1 suggestion is v interesting - by fishtail do you mean legs splaying rather than kicking with feet close together? If so I think this is probably something I do, and have been advised to do some work with a swim band round my feet to try and get a more streamlined kick. I definitely feel more active core engagement on the kickboard drill. On #2, I don't actually rotate too far - just one goggle out of the water - and if anything I think I probably under-rotate and swim a bit 'flat'.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - why does this drill work so well for me? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, no such issues with my thighs sadly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others said, you have streamlining issues. I think this also points to issues with your kick - you probably splay your legs like a pair of scissors laid sideways.

Look on the January Fish Challenge for Dev Paul's ankle band - that tool would probably help your kick a lot.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is dealt with extensively in the Guppy Challenge series, weeks 2, 3 and 4. if you band your ankles or in some other way force your ankles together (by grabbing a pull buoy with your ankles instead of your thighs) you will fishtail (if you have an alignment problem). you will then auto-correct. when you unband your ankles that auto-correction will be sticky. alignment problem solved. speed increases.

that's a very glib and simplified statement, but that's pretty much what happens. you see in the guppy challenge threads user comments very much like yours.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lethaldrizzle wrote:
legs splaying rather than kicking with feet close together? If so I think this is probably something I do, and have been advised to do some work with a swim band round my feet to try and get a more streamlined kick.

I'll lay all my chips on scissor kick, as you and Tigerchik also identified.

Scissor kick also usually goes with dorsiflexing the foot that is in front of you as you breathe. If you do that, you don't actually have to split your legs out very wide at all to have it slow you down a lot.

Somehow you can still accomplish it to a degree with the buoy, but the board doesn't allow it.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers - why does this drill work so well for me? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is all really helpful, thanks very much Slowman, tigerchik and Kevin in MD. I'll give the band a go and see what happens. Perhaps band + pullbuoy will be faster for me than just pullbuoy. I'll report back!
Quote Reply