Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Appellate court hearing on travel ban, did anyone listen?
Quote | Reply
JSA, thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Appellate court hearing on travel ban, did anyone listen? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I (English lawyer) picked it up about 15 mins in.

Making due allowances for the fact that a legal hearing in which everyone has pre-read a lot of documentation, much of which is referred to only obliquely and with little explanation, my thoughts:

- It was what I'd call a fairly typical three-person appellate tribunal hearing. Lots of interaction and lots of testing of the advocates' arguments with nasty (ie difficult to answer) questions.
- the Govt's lawyer seemed to face an appreciably higher level of hostile questions, though as an appellant trying to overturn a decision one would expect that. Nevertheless the justices appeared to me fairly ill-disposed to the Govt arguments.
- The WA state lawyer opened weakly IMO. He had a procedural point which the court was (rightly, again IMO) not that interested in and they appeared impatient to move him onto his main substantive point.
- Clifton certainly probed the WA state lawyer the most. At one point the female justice (not sure of her name) came to his rescue after a particularly tricky Clifton question. The core Clifton question: why does this discriminate against Muslims if it only accounts for countries that produced 15% of Muslim immigration to the US was not well handled: the WA state lawyer was reduced at one point to saying that he hadn't thought of the case in those numeric terms.
- my overall view was that the TRO was likely to remain in place.

One things that occurred to me that I don't know the answer to and wasn't raised: to what extent can the court sever offending parts of an EO? Does it stand or fall in its entirety, or (for example) can the Court say: "the ban on these seven countries doesn't discriminate against Muslims on the basis of arithmetic, but the part that prioritises Christians from those countries over Muslims does and so we will put a red line through those parts and leave the rest".

It may be that the Govt didn't want to argue this for tactical reasons (the UK Govt made a similar tactical decision in the Brexit litigation) or perhaps it is simply an impermissible approach by the Court. Dunno.

Interesting stuff though, both as a lawyer and as a non US lawyer. It's striking both how similar and how different things are listening to a hearing in another common law jurisdiction.
Quote Reply
Re: Appellate court hearing on travel ban, did anyone listen? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:

Making due allowances for the fact that a legal hearing in which everyone has pre-read a lot of documentation, much of which is referred to only obliquely and with little explanation, my thoughts:

- It was what I'd call a fairly typical three-person appellate tribunal hearing. Lots of interaction and lots of testing of the advocates' arguments with nasty (ie difficult to answer) questions.
- the Govt's lawyer seemed to face an appreciably higher level of hostile questions, though as an appellant trying to overturn a decision one would expect that. Nevertheless the justices appeared to me fairly ill-disposed to the Govt arguments.
- The WA state lawyer opened weakly IMO. He had a procedural point which the court was (rightly, again IMO) not that interested in and they appeared impatient to move him onto his main substantive point.
- Clifton certainly probed the WA state lawyer the most. At one point the female justice (not sure of her name) came to his rescue after a particularly tricky Clifton question. The core Clifton question: why does this discriminate against Muslims if it only accounts for countries that produced 15% of Muslim immigration to the US was not well handled: the WA state lawyer was reduced at one point to saying that he hadn't thought of the case in those numeric terms.

One things that occurred to me that I don't know the answer to and wasn't raised: to what extent can the court sever offending parts of an EO? Does it stand or fall in its entirety, or (for example) can the Court say: "the ban on these seven countries doesn't discriminate against Muslims on the basis of arithmetic, but the part that prioritises Christians from those countries over Muslims does and so we will put a red line through those parts and leave the rest".

It may be that the Govt didn't want to argue this for tactical reasons (the UK Govt made a similar tactical decision in the Brexit litigation) or perhaps it is simply an impermissible approach by the Court. Dunno.

Interesting stuff though, both as a lawyer and as a non US lawyer. It's striking both how similar and how different things are listening to a hearing in another common law jurisdiction.

Thanks for the analysis. One question: did the Christian prioritization come up during the hearing? I was under the impression that the 'persecuted Chrisitians get priority' order was part of a separate EO but I could certainly be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Appellate court hearing on travel ban, did anyone listen? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember it coming up, and it may be that it didn't because it's part of a separate EO. That would make more sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Appellate court hearing on travel ban, did anyone listen? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the court asks "Can the president ban all Muslims?", doesn't the plaintiff have to actually answer the question?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Appellate court hearing on travel ban, did anyone listen? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In principle yes. But over here there are all sorts of ways of dodging, ducking and recasting the question, or trying to persuade the Court that it's not the right question to ask. Sometimes you can succeed going down any one of those roads; sometimes not (and then the lack of an answer leaves the Court free to draw its own conclusion).
Quote Reply
Re: Appellate court hearing on travel ban, did anyone listen? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw fragments of it - and some talking heads afterwards. The sense I get is if the court wants to deal with this more they will find the State of Wash. has standing - and they want it (the stay) to go away they'll claim no standing. I don't think they'll get into the constitutionality of the ban.
Quote Reply
Re: Appellate court hearing on travel ban, did anyone listen? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
I saw fragments of it - and some talking heads afterwards. The sense I get is if the court wants to deal with this more they will find the State of Wash. has standing - and they want it (the stay) to go away they'll claim no standing. I don't think they'll get into the constitutionality of the ban.

That is the sense I got, I could also tell the political persuasion of the different jurist. Seemed very partisan. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't hear anything about precedent for presidential prerogative over immigration and admission. This has been thrown around a lot. And basically the gist of it is the president has a lot of leeway in determining who and who cannot come here. As long as it doesn't violate religion or I guess to overly broad it will stand. Perhaps this was overly broad, so if they don't sever out the crap that makes it broad and pass it to the court, I wonder if they could simply rewrite an EO that isn't so broad.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Appellate court hearing on travel ban, did anyone listen? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its being heard by the 9th Circus, er Circuit. This is going to the Supreme Court.

LorenzoP wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Appellate court hearing on travel ban, did anyone listen? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
Its being heard by the 9th Circus, er Circuit. This is going to the Supreme Court.

LorenzoP wrote:

Circuit with the highest overturn rate at the SCOTUS to. Trust me, it is no coincidence this was filed in that district.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:

I thought the Govt lawyer got pretty short shrift on the standing point. The Court was firing all sorts of counter-examples at him on standing and he didn't really have much of an answer to them.

One thing that I don't understand is the relevance of the Govt's/President's intent. Is an EO construed by reference to what it says or what it says plus what its stated intent is? I would have thought the latter makes it very difficult - and variable - to enforce, and so why WA state ended up referring to evidence of intent had me a little mystified.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:

Agree pretty much

The scope of the order was raised at the end as I recall, with Canby (I think) stating that DOJ was asking for a narrowing, but in practical terms how would a court go about doing that, and was it really appropriate since it is in essence re-writing an EO.

Friedland bailed the WA lawyer out a couple times, and tho they questioned both sides fairly hard, they were harsher on the DOJ

It's the 9th, and the DOJ has the burden. DOJ loses.
Quote Reply