Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Casa Grande AZ Cycling
Quote | Reply
Hello, my family is planning a trip to Casa Grande AZ in March. How is the cycling in that area? Good roads or routes anyone knows? Any club/group rides in the area? Any help or info is appreciated. Thx.
Quote Reply
Re: Casa Grande AZ Cycling [mopey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll have to get Google Maps out for this one and find the roads I'm mentioning.

I don't live in Casa Grande, but I work close by and do some cycling in the area. For the most part, everything is flat and straight. The city is surrounded by farms, so if you get out of CG a little (the city isn't very big, so it doesn't take long), there are plenty of wide open roads with bike lanes, such as Highway 84 (heading towards Interstate 8), highway 347 which runs all the way up to Phoenix. On the north end of town, there is the 387/187/87 triangle loop that is pretty fun to ride.. it's right off Interstate 10 and has some hills to go up and down, plus some pretty awesome desert landscaping.

The Casa Grande Century is a ride they have every year, but I'm not familiar with the route. If you like to mountain bike, Casa Grande Mountain is outstanding. Short trails, but there are lots of them so you can ride all around the mountain and it's nearly impossible to get lost. CG mountain is great.

Otherwise you can ride up to McCartney Rd, cross over I-10 and head east.. it's pretty rural and desert out there, but it's nice and quiet.
Quote Reply
Re: Casa Grande AZ Cycling [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply. I have been plotting routes using Google maps and Strava
Nice to get some local knowledge! Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Casa Grande AZ Cycling [mopey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived in Phoenix for 9 years. So here's an AMEN for the 387/187/87 triangle loop. Just about every weekly solitary century ride I did out of Chandler (South Phoenix) used that triangle. That's a nice route with the only possible elevation changes (not much, but the hills are pretty and a nice change of pace). Nothing more to be gained by going further west of I-10.

Note: there are very few gas stations or water resupplies outside of Casa Grande in any direction.

And TAKE AT LEAST TWO SPARE TUBES on every ride. Riding 4x per week, I used to flat at least once a week. I flatted three times in one ride on multiple occasions. Arizona has lots of man-made road debris. And EVERYTHING organic has pointy ends and sharp edges.

I envy you. The Phoenix area in March is weather paradise.
Quote Reply
Re: Casa Grande AZ Cycling [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thankyou for the reply. That seems to be a popular route. That should give me a nice 2-3 hour loop from where I am staying. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Casa Grande AZ Cycling [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's this loop, correct?

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/chandler-az/chandler-mall-casa-grande-vos-loop-route-1341322

I'm heading out there in early April and would like to get in a few longer rides on routes I haven't done before. Most of my riding has been east and north, although I have ridden to the top of South Mountain (but not around it).
Quote Reply