Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jens back on the rollers: Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Turbo Cotton, Conti TT smackdown [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'm fairly satisfied with the decision to go with a pair of TTs for the upcoming season as well. The Corsa Speed data sure looks tempting but it sounds like that tire could easliy cost several minutes additional time in the event of a flat...and I've had a few while racing over the years.

kjmcawesome wrote:
The outcome of this whole saga is me having no regrets about the pair of Conti TT tires that arrived this week.

Thank you for your work.
Quote Reply
Re: Jens back on the rollers: Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Turbo Cotton, Conti TT smackdown [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
MTM wrote:
I only have a caliper, so might be hard to measure for me. Unless I can borrow a micrometer from work.

You can measure with a calipers and a small block on the inside of the tire. Subtract off the block thickness (or zero it on the block before measuring if it's a digital caliper) :-)

Good thinking ;) I might try that, though it seems Jens have had some problems getting exact measurements.

Thanks for the manufacturing date stamp information on the Contis. Might have to check some tires tonight. Will be interesting to see if one could nail down when they changed from old to new SS.
Quote Reply
Re: Jens back on the rollers: Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Turbo Cotton, Conti TT smackdown [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to seeing that data :) if it tests close to the conti's I might have a new brand of tires on my race wheels this year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just checked two of my new SS's, they were manufactured in Sept 2016 and Oct 2016.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Jens back on the rollers: Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Turbo Cotton, Conti TT smackdown [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I just checked two of my new SS's, they were manufactured in Sept 2016 and Oct 2016.

Any chance you can measure the tread thickness in a few spots - or just run your fingers along the tread to see if there's much variation?

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Jens back on the rollers: Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Turbo Cotton, Conti TT smackdown [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
stevej wrote:

Any chance you can measure the tread thickness in a few spots - or just run your fingers along the tread to see if there's much variation?

I ran my fingers along the tread (inside and outside) and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Was yours pretty noticeable?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Jens back on the rollers: Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Turbo Cotton, Conti TT smackdown [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
The outcome of this whole saga is me having no regrets about the pair of Conti TT tires that arrived this week.

Thank you for your work.

Can you comment on the ease of getting the TTs on and off? This thread has basically pushed the Corsa out the door for me.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Jens back on the rollers: Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Turbo Cotton, Conti TT smackdown [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:

Thank you for your work.

Can you comment on the ease of getting the TTs on and off? This thread has basically pushed the Corsa out the door for me.

The 23s are easy to get on/off of HED + rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Jens back on the rollers: Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Turbo Cotton, Conti TT smackdown [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
jens wrote:
stevej wrote:

I ran my fingers along the tread (inside and outside) and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Was yours pretty noticeable?

I'm sorry to say it was probably only noticeable because I was looking for it, based on the lumpy rolling and the caliper readings.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Jens back on the rollers: Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Turbo Cotton, Conti TT smackdown [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got my set of Conti TT "Limited Edition" manufactured in June 2016 and one weighed 169g. I forgot to weight them before I already had one mounted. And FYI - they mount on a Zipp Super 9 like butter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

Sorry to change the protocol. But I felt that 100psi was more relevant to what people are riding on these days. So here's the data:

Conti SS (23c, new with slight crosshatch on both sides of smooth center tread) 25.1 mph, 77 watts, .00351
Vittoria Corsa Speed (23C, new) 25.3 mph, 71 watts, .00321
Spec. Turbo Cotton (24C, new) 25.2 mph, 83 watts, .00377
Conti TT (23c, new) 25.1 mph, 83 watts, .00378
Jens: for completeness can you add the manufacture dates for your two Conti's? I'd bet the SS is Sept or Oct 2016, but I'm curious about the TT. (I don't trust Conti either so wanted to know exactly which TT this is.)
Quote Reply
Re: Jens back on the rollers: Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Turbo Cotton, Conti TT smackdown [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Jens: for completeness can you add the manufacture dates for your two Conti's? I'd bet the SS is Sept or Oct 2016, but I'm curious about the TT. (I don't trust Conti either so wanted to know exactly which TT this is.)

The new SS has been sold for nearly 2 years through Bike24 (complete with Conti graphic showing the new tread), while no other shops carried them and the Conti rep I contacted last summer disavowed any knowledge of them.

Even now I see no reference to the GPTT Ltd or the new SS on Conti's website. Very different from companies that hype new products for months before they are available! Conti apparently just releases them in secret, with no explanation of what has changed.
Quote Reply
Re: Jens back on the rollers: Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Turbo Cotton, Conti TT smackdown [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what's special about the GPTT Ltd? Do they test significantly differently? I didn't realize it when I ordered but that's what I ended up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Jens back on the rollers: Conti SS, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Turbo Cotton, Conti TT smackdown [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Anyone know what's special about the GPTT Ltd? Do they test significantly differently? I didn't realize it when I ordered but that's what I ended up with.

I believe that packaging is how they were originally released. It may be how they are still packaged. I haven't ordered a new one recently. Check the manufacturing date on the tire. Probably little to no changes since being released as "limited", but as we've seen with the GP4k and SS over time there is no telling with Conti!
Quote Reply

Prev Next