Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I'm not OK with trump doing this. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

If you don't seize it ahead of time, or at least place the asset on some form of escrow depriving the owner of its use, it's not going to be there to be there to seize at the end of the case.

I am entirely willing to run that risk. I really don't care if the government profits from criminal convictions. I probably prefer that it doesn't, in fact. But if the government is going to seize assets for its own profit, I think it should absolutely have to wait until a criminal conviction has been achieved. If they miss out on some loot, I simply don't care.

Being acquitted; found not guilty, is not the same as being found innocent. The distinction becomes important in federal habeas appeals and in particular death penalty litigation.

I understand. Nevertheless, for the purposes of the discussion, I think it's a distinction without a difference. (Or should be.) The government should not be allowed to seize property from a citizen who has not been convicted of a crime.

They can put you in jail and keep you there without being convinced of a crime.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: I'm not OK with trump doing this. [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subject to bail, unless there's some reason to deny bail, yes. And they can hold some property as evidence until the case is heard, and they can confiscate contraband. None of that is what we're talking about here.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Subject to bail, unless there's some reason to deny bail, yes. And they can hold some property as evidence until the case is heard, and they can confiscate contraband. None of that is what we're talking about here.

I was making or trying to make the point that they can take something much more valuable away from you without a conviction. To say they don't have president to take things away without a conviction is a pretty weak argument to make. I would suggest, based on a lot of what they have done that there needs to be more justification than currently is necessary for the government to confiscate property.

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

I was making or trying to make the point that they can take something much more valuable away from you without a conviction. To say they don't have president to take things away without a conviction is a pretty weak argument to make. I would suggest, based on a lot of what they have done that there needs to be more justification than currently is necessary for the government to confiscate property.

Quote Reply
Re: I'm not OK with trump doing this. [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Temporarily, though, pending the resolution of your case, and subject to restrictions.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: I'm not OK with trump doing this. [MOP_Roy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Roy wrote:
While I find asset forfeiture without due process disturbing, does no one see an issue with a President threatening to "destroy" another person's ( or your could say American's) career?

No. And here is why. Clearly a politician put this up to gain the disdain of this sheriff and trump. He should stand up for it. In other words he entered the politica arena. What trump said is a stupid usually reserved for political meetings, but thinks he has his base and voters solidly behind him on this. He just looked like an idiot, even to his supporters.

Now had this been a district attorney or an individual challenging the existing law I would have an issue.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply

Prev Next