Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Should've been a... [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had one janitor/maintenance guy at our dorm. Story is he replaced 6 other state workers who did nothing. So one good work at 270,000 might be a bargain compared to 6x60,000.
Quote Reply
Re: Should've been a... [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to BART officials, the 2,300 mechanics, custodians, station agents, train operators, and clerical staff earn an average base salary of $71,000 per year plus $11,000 in overtime pay. Additionally, BART employees pay only $92 per month for health coverage and contribute nothing toward their pensions.

The San Jose Mercury News published a database of all of BART's 2012 employee salaries and total compensation where I saw that one train operator had a salary of$63,584, but raked in a total of $174,887 thanks in part to the salary plus $60,147 worth of overtime.

BART trains are computer controlled albeit the computers are from the 70's. $174,887 to push approximately 2 buttons seems to me awfully high. There is the Stop/Go button and the Open/Close door button. Oh, and they have to give those ever helpful garbled station announcements and "the train will be moving shortly" messages.

When BART went on strike, the question was asked why replacements could not be brought in. The answer - "train operation is a highly skilled position and replacements would put the traveling public in danger".
Quote Reply
Re: Should've been a... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
My brother in law had a sweet gig as a janitor for a few years, on the Barrow island construction site in Western Australia. It's the biggest LNG project on the planet, I believe.

Anyways, with over time, a per diem, and other pay bumps (for example, if you had a shared camp room you got an extra $140 a day), he was making around $150,000 a year. He worked three weeks on, one week off, fly in/fly out camp work, and his off week was spent in Perth, which is a pretty awesome city. Some of his co-workers set up shop in Bali or Thailand as it was close to the same length of flight to perth. Imagine making that kind of coin, and spending your off time on one of the nicest beaches on the planet, for next to nothing.

I digress, but it's not often we hear feedback like that. Guess that's why everyone loves Canuckers.
Quote Reply
Re: Should've been a... [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? What makes you say that?

My BIL lived in Vancouver for many years, and is about as well travelled as one could be, so, he had a pretty high standard to compare to. He loves the lifestyle Perth affords, the beaches, says it is everything he loves about Vancouver but with better weather.

I'm hoping to make my first trip down there next year to visit my wife's family in and around Melbourne. My family is worried that if I go I'll never come back.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Should've been a... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
He supposedly worked 17 hours almost every day.

Even if he worked 17 hours EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE YEAR, that comes out to $43/hour. Yep, I should have been a janitor who takes naps in closets.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Should've been a... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Almost as crazy as when I saw the strength and conditioning coach for some big college football team (maybe Iowa?) was pulling down more than half a million dollars a year.

Explain why this is almost as crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Should've been a... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure which part of my quote induced your question. We Perthites don't often hear positive comments (at least not internally) hence why I said you're a nice Canadian for saying that.

We get accused of being dullsville etc. Sydney has the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and bustling city, Melbourne claims to be culture and sport central. Brisbane links itself to Gold Coast as beach party central. Which leaves us fighting for recognition with Adelaide amongst the capitals.

Now that the mining boom is over we aren't carrying the country as we were. Our weather and beaches still trump the lot mind you, even Queensland; though they will beg to differ.

Funnily enough I always rave about my few visits to Vancouver, which I prefer way above Toronto, where my estranged is from.
Last edited by: mv2005: Feb 8, 17 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: Should've been a... [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That still sounds like a management problem. If you have six people who don't do shit while one person pulls all the weight, you are doing something wrong. I'm all for giving good guy a pay raise that is significant, but replacing 6 people with 1 doesn't make sense in any sort of management discussion.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Should've been a... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Uh oh. I think he's in trouble. I wonder if he started adding more and more hours to his time card thinking someone would say something eventually and it never happened.
Quote Reply
Re: Should've been a... [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Uh oh. I think he's in trouble. I wonder if he started adding more and more hours to his time card thinking someone would say something eventually and it never happened.

There was no auditing.

"2 Investigates also found questions on Zhang’s timesheet. Over two months, he failed to clock in or out to verify his hours three times. BART General Manager Grace Crunican said she wasn’t aware of those discrepancies."

Total management incompetence.
Most business you would be fired for this.
Quote Reply
Re: Should've been a... [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is rich: The suckers in San Francisco just voted for a new 3.5 billion dollar bond measure.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/11/09/bart-bond-measure-rr-approved-infrastructure/

I wonder how they could possibly be running out of money?

Quote Reply
Re: Should've been a... [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:

Funnily enough I always rave about my few visits to Vancouver, which I prefer way above Toronto, where my estranged is from.

Yeah? Well go fuck yourself!

;-)

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Should've been a... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

Yeah? Well go fuck yourself!

;-)

When I wrote that I thought about the collateral damage. Then I thought about you and hit 'send' with a wry smile.
Quote Reply

Prev Next