Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Clubs
Quote | Reply
I'm curious as to how many of you are part of a Tri Club and what being part of it does for you? The closest one to me was a 100 miles away until last year when one came to town. The president of the club lives in Arizona though. The club is extremely inactive. Myself and 1 other person are the only ones who really try to get group rides, and runs together. Usually, it's just the 2 of us though, which is fine as we have trained together for quite sometime. I've never been part of a club like this so I'm not sure what to expect. Maybe I'm expecting more than I should be as it is a new club and will take a while to grow and get more involved, but, with 30 members I would think more than 2 of us work out on a regular basis :D. So, like I asked, for those of you who are part of a club, what do you get out of it?? Any input is appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Clubs [Rooster519] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been a member of various clubs over time, but to be honest, other than perhaps an LBS or tri store discount of some sort or some social events, not a lot from a training perspective. Having a coach with a schedule for the week, very few of my workouts actually mesh with any club workout that is going on.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Feb 7, 17 11:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Main thing I've seen in what clubs do now:

-work w local shop on discounts

-social aspect of every event; IE 40 mile ride and then pizza/beer at restaurant that gives 20% off.

-local races you have presence/tent place to chill.

-work w WTC to get club enteries into events.

-work w local companies to Sponsor long brick workouts once a month and get free food.

-not having president locally there I'm going to say is very limiting in itself. He can't connect with members or potential sponsors/partners.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Clubs [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Main thing I've seen in what clubs do now:

-work w local shop on discounts

-social aspect of every event; IE 40 mile ride and then pizza/beer at restaurant that gives 20% off.

-local races you have presence/tent place to chill.

-work w WTC to get club enteries into events.

-work w local companies to Sponsor long brick workouts once a month and get free food.

-not having president locally there I'm going to say is very limiting in itself. He can't connect with members or potential sponsors/partners.

These were all things that were discussed at the first meeting. Sounded wonderful. Paid the yearly dues got my t-shirt and nothing else, yet. That was in September of 2016. My schedule is bought and paid for, for this year, so discounts at this point will be worthless to me. I agree with out a local president, it's going to limit every aspect of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My local club is has about 250 members aimed at family and beginners although it probably only has 25-30 active members. We also have a few more active members who have gone onto race IM or 70.3(me included) but most tend to only do sprints/oly's.

We train 6 days a week with a Mon/Wed/Fri swim session. Tuesday Turbo which includes an off road kids Turbo/brick session, Saturday either track or interval run session and a sunday club ride.

The swims are pretty popular with us having 3 lanes mostly and we have to employ an online booking system to restrict us to 8 swimmers per lane.

We try and organise the odd social evening out here and there and sunday rides normally involve a coffee stop.

We also Aim to focus on a few main races a year which the club tries to encourage its members to attend/compete so we can race together as a club.

I started out as a member having not done a Tri and i've now been trained to BTF level 1 allowing me to assist the coaches mainly helping out at swim sessions.

Being based around london I guess we have an advantage as our members are located within maybe a 10mile radius.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Clubs [chunkytfg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our club is also very active, we have about 200 members and have loads of different sessions throughout the week, all well attended.

Four coached swim sessions, two coached spin sessions in the winter, 2 coached core strength sessions, long runs and long rides at the weekends, Thursday night track sessions. Monthly 10 mile TTs in the summer months

You just go to whatever you want, some things you have to book in for as they're very popular (spin) but we have an online booking system. We also have velodrome sessions when possible.

We have a plenty of local races but some bigger than others and always have a very good turnout form our club. We also have a dedicated long course race where those that want to do IM distance with the club will all attend, I think we have about 25 signed up for IM Wales this year and took about 15 to Barcelona last year.

Its a great club and has been a great way for me to meet local people with similar interests when I moved to the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a member of a club which was based very local to me until a few months ago. Since I moved house it's a 30minute drive.
There is a club training schedule which includes coached swims, runs, group indoor bike trainer sessions mid week in a local school hall, club rides at the weekend, and functional movement sessions (mostly strength and flexibility conditioning) again in a local school hall.
I generally do all my run and swim training solo, it tends not to mesh with the club schedule. I was routinely doing the weekly indoor training and weekend group rides with the club and I was doing the strength and flexibility sessions too when I could. I really enjoyed the club atmosphere, it's a friendly and supportive bunch with advice for anyone who wants it and plenty good humour. Some really good athlete's too! Since I moved I'm really only doing the club ride and an occasional mid week training session. The travel there and back makes it harder to fit in and a lot simpler to just stay home and train alone. But I do miss the social aspect since reducing my participation!
Quote Reply