Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What are your toughts on "Hey, help me pay for my race/vacation!!!"? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
kudos for coming on here to present your side

+1

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: What are your toughts on "Hey, help me pay for my race/vacation!!!"? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
CanadianClassic wrote:
I must apologize to everyone on the Forum. I started the original kick starter page and was meant to be for close contacts and family. My intentions were not suppose to be to solicit or pan handle to the general public. Having this posted on the Leadville page was wrong and the link has has been removed from the wall. I must say this was a terrible choice on my part.
This being said I do work quite hard to get to this goal and am traveling a far distance to reach it. This is not a vacation but a chance to live out a dream and a bucket list item for myself. There is no extra money being raised to help support my family to go there but just my self. All other money's raised will be donated to a youth charity to help support children cycling initiative . I also wanted to mention that I do train 7-10 days a week for this ultra marathon, I don't drink and I don't smoke. I don't want to take any helicopter rides while i'm in Colorado. The only reason for arriving so early is to help acclimatize to the altitude. People who want to be critical about my previous race results need to also understand I have done many long distance races and fared well. I have also done many short distance races and gained points and upgraded categories. I also understand to some people that asking for assistance may not be there best way to do this, but my intentions were to set up a page so local people as well as some people who sponsor me could have place to donate to help me as sometimes in our busy lives face to face is not an option. I also wanted to say I have worked with a coach to improve my cycling. I am a certified cycling instructor who volunteers and teaches people healthy living and am very animate about this approach of healthy eating and life style. I also wanted to state that I am offering more than just a spot on a banner and have remained in close contact with friends and family about this on a personal level as I would like to do as much as I can to give back. I seriously apologize for offending anyone and agree this should not have be sent to the general public.

I would guess that most ST'rs train 7 days a week (and probably 2 or even 3 x a day); but when I can figure out how to train 10 DAYS A WEEK the slackers better watch out! BTW - kudos for coming on here to present your side; but be clear, unless you are in the hunt for a podium you are taking a race-cation!

Dang I was about to post about all the lost training time due to being limited to only having 7 days in a week and you beat me to it. If you have an extra 3 days a week to work, I think you can afford this trip with your own efforts.
Last edited by: Plomassa: Feb 9, 17 8:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correction. I train 7-10 times a week, 7 days a week. I will never know how I place till I get there either. I am working hard to do the best I can and will only know after the race is completed.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your toughts on "Hey, help me pay for my race/vacation!!!"? [CanadianClassic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CanadianClassic wrote:
Correction. I train 7-10 times a week, 7 days a week. I will never know how I place till I get there either. I am working hard to do the best I can and will only know after the race is completed.

Slacker!
Quote Reply
Re: What are your toughts on "Hey, help me pay for my race/vacation!!!"? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I normally don't bother reading them. If it is someone I personally know, am close with, and they ask me in person then i would at least consider it. If it's a stranger on the internet? No way, at least without a very compelling cause and campaign. The "give me money" campaign is weak.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your toughts on "Hey, help me pay for my race/vacation!!!"? [CanadianClassic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CanadianClassic wrote:
I will never know how I place till I get there either. I am working hard to do the best I can and will only know after the race is completed.

That's exactly what I plan to tell the commissaire when I show up at the start line of Le Tour this year.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you on speaking up here. While not necessary IMO that's a brave move. I hope this thread turns out to be helpful for you. I was a little worried about the outcome in the beginning. It took me all of 30 secs to find your donation page after the thread was started.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CanadianClassic wrote:
I must apologize to everyone on the Forum. I started the original kick starter page and was meant to be for close contacts and family. My intentions were not suppose to be to solicit or pan handle to the general public. Having this posted on the Leadville page was wrong and the link has has been removed from the wall. I must say this was a terrible choice on my part.
This being said I do work quite hard to get to this goal and am traveling a far distance to reach it. This is not a vacation but a chance to live out a dream and a bucket list item for myself. There is no extra money being raised to help support my family to go there but just my self. All other money's raised will be donated to a youth charity to help support children cycling initiative . I also wanted to mention that I do train 7-10 days a week for this ultra marathon, I don't drink and I don't smoke. I don't want to take any helicopter rides while i'm in Colorado. The only reason for arriving so early is to help acclimatize to the altitude. People who want to be critical about my previous race results need to also understand I have done many long distance races and fared well. I have also done many short distance races and gained points and upgraded categories. I also understand to some people that asking for assistance may not be there best way to do this, but my intentions were to set up a page so local people as well as some people who sponsor me could have place to donate to help me as sometimes in our busy lives face to face is not an option. I also wanted to say I have worked with a coach to improve my cycling. I am a certified cycling instructor who volunteers and teaches people healthy living and am very animate about this approach of healthy eating and life style. I also wanted to state that I am offering more than just a spot on a banner and have remained in close contact with friends and family about this on a personal level as I would like to do as much as I can to give back. I seriously apologize for offending anyone and agree this should not have be sent to the general public.

eh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So tell us, did you actually qualify for this "bucket list" vacation, or are you referring to winning the lottery as qualifying?

I find it hard to believe the 12 hour belt buckle is in question if you did indeed "qualify" as you said you did.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your toughts on "Hey, help me pay for my race/vacation!!!"? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have nothing to hide and told everyone who has asked me that I have qualified via the lottery. I have no problem thinking I can do this in well under 12 hours. I have done a 100 mile road bike race through blue mountain in 4 hours and 30 minutes before (blue mountain centurion if you want to look it up) as well as multiple 8 hour races where I have completed 86 miles in 7 hour and 30 minutes. Also feel free to do your research. Like I said I am striving to do my best and go out win this belt buckle. I'm sorry if I have offended you with my fund raising techniques as this has gotten completely blown out of proportion and was suppose to be for family and close friends. This wasn't mean to be like this what so ever, This is a race of a life time for me and I may never get another chance. There is many people who have entered the lottery and never been selected. I am going to do my best to increase my level of fitness and obtain the best finishing time possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, since I know the temperature of the ST denizens and that their feelings don't necessarily match that of the rest of the world, have you gotten anywhere near your funding goal via this approach?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you detail your nutrition plan for this race and explain why you're budgeting $550 for it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CanadianClassic wrote:
I have nothing to hide and told everyone who has asked me that I have qualified via the lottery. I have no problem thinking I can do this in well under 12 hours. I have done a 100 mile road bike race through blue mountain in 4 hours and 30 minutes before (blue mountain centurion if you want to look it up) as well as multiple 8 hour races where I have completed 86 miles in 7 hour and 30 minutes. Also feel free to do your research. Like I said I am striving to do my best and go out win this belt buckle. I'm sorry if I have offended you with my fund raising techniques as this has gotten completely blown out of proportion and was suppose to be for family and close friends. This wasn't mean to be like this what so ever, This is a race of a life time for me and I may never get another chance. There is many people who have entered the lottery and never been selected. I am going to do my best to increase my level of fitness and obtain the best finishing time possible.

Seriously though, even then you are asking for funding for your vacation. Friends don't ask friends to fund their vacation. Do you also ask your friends to pay your mortgage?

Finally, qualify isn't really the right term to describe being chosen in a lottery.

Quote Reply
Re: What are your toughts on "Hey, help me pay for my race/vacation!!!"? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a lot of support from my Family and Friends and they truly know how hard I work at cycling. I am just under half way to my goal. I also understand there is some criticism towards this technique but nobody also has to donate if they don't want it was a simple request to help me. If I do make it to my goal and happen to exceed it I will full heartedly donate all the money's that comes in and help others to reach there goals and dreams with the youth cycling foundation in my city city.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your toughts on "Hey, help me pay for my race/vacation!!!"? [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogmile wrote:
Do you also ask your friends to pay your mortgage?

Constantly. Is that bad??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
easy way for CanadianClub to redeem himself would be to think of the donations as an interest free loan and save up an equivalent amount to the total money raised after the race and donate to a charity of those who are truly less fortunate.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your toughts on "Hey, help me pay for my race/vacation!!!"? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

gbharris wrote:

One of the beautiful things about 'Murica is that people are free to ask me to support a redonkulous cause, just as I'm free to tell them that I think they're a horse's ass.

Can you elaborate as to how this is significantly different from almost any other country you choose to mention?[/font]

Tell us you enjoy freedom as much as you like, but stop pretending the US invented the concept! You have no idea how sick the rest of the world is of hearing this nonsense spouted over and over and over again as though 'Murica had a monopoly on not being a totalitarian regime.

Hey, Ai_1, I have absolutely zero idea what you are so butt chaffed about. I have never stated, in this thread or elsewhere, that the US has some sort of monopoly on freedom. I never mentioned any other country. I even wrote 'Murica... which may as well be code for, "This whole reply should be in pink." FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I SPELLED OUT REDONKULOUS! It is a word that Merriam-Webster probably has printed in pink, with sequins. I was replying to someone who wrote about an ENTIRE AGE GROUP getting sucked into a sinkhole. Get a grip. I don't know what terrible country you live in where they surgically remove your sense of humor at birth... but man... it must suck.

I'd defend myself more, but I have to go to buy a Big Mac and a Coke, drive a REDONKULOUSLY large pickup truck, wrestle a bear, and sing the national anthem while holding back a tear with my hand over my heart while wearing a pair of Levis and with an eagle perched on both arms. Afterwards I'll watch some football, but man's football, not that weird soccer thing, and not rugby, and not arena league, which is too Canadian, and not Austrailian rules,which is too dangerous to play, let alone watch, sober. I'll finish up my night with a dozen or so Budweisers and dream of all my amazing, 'Murican freedoms.

Last edited by: gbharris: Feb 9, 17 14:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, I admire you for coming on here and facing your critics and speaking your peace. Obviously it wasn't personal against since we don't know you or have no idea who you are.
Secondly, I don't think you owe us or anyone really, an apology. You can do what you want and it wasn't illegal.
That said I still think it takes a lot of nerve to ask people to fund what is basically a luxury.

But I think you coming on here and seeming, well, nice, shows us another side. And that even people we criticize voraciously have a good side. So best of luck in your Leadville trip, however you fund it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next