Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Explosive experts: can you blow up a ship like this?
Quote | Reply
This is a clip from the movie Syriana, which I have seen long time ago, in my pre ST life. Then I happened to see this clip the other day and thought to ask the LR experts.
Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3p96VNXSNQ
Now, just to say, I have a degree in marine engineering and my diploma work was on LNG carriers. Mind you, it was back in late 80s. I am quite familiar with safety of these ships, but never considered an outside attack with what appears to be some kind of armor piercing weapon. There is a large space between the outer hull of the ship and the tanks in which the liquid cargo is. Could the explosion from the boat penetrate both hulls and ignite the cargo which is not flammable when in liquid state? Could enough LNG vapors form, mix with oxygen and ignite from the flame of the explosions? If I remember from long time ago, the space between the ship's hull and the LNG tanks is also filled with inert gas, so no burning/explosion.

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Re: Explosive experts: can you blow up a ship like this? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
??? shape charge with a time delayed penetrating projectile ?? spent uranium red hot spall effect

but I know nothing

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Explosive experts: can you blow up a ship like this? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
This is a clip from the movie Syriana, which I have seen long time ago, in my pre ST life. Then I happened to see this clip the other day and thought to ask the LR experts.
Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3p96VNXSNQ
Now, just to say, I have a degree in marine engineering and my diploma work was on LNG carriers. Mind you, it was back in late 80s. I am quite familiar with safety of these ships, but never considered an outside attack with what appears to be some kind of armor piercing weapon. There is a large space between the outer hull of the ship and the tanks in which the liquid cargo is. Could the explosion from the boat penetrate both hulls and ignite the cargo which is not flammable when in liquid state? Could enough LNG vapors form, mix with oxygen and ignite from the flame of the explosions? If I remember from long time ago, the space between the ship's hull and the LNG tanks is also filled with inert gas, so no burning/explosion.

Ad Muncher

Not an expert, but seems very plausible and quite similar to how the USS Cole was attacked - not sure if the double hull of a tanker would change the equation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cole_bombing

ETA: I note that the Syriana clip never shows the actual explosion. It's possible the attack was not intended/did not succeed in blowing up the cargo; that it was *just* an attack on the ship that would cause damage, mayhem, fear and death if not total obliteration of the ship.
Last edited by: wimsey: Feb 7, 17 6:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FBI is on their way...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply