Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whole House Filter, Water Softener or both?
Quote | Reply
I was reading the other day that Chlorine shortens the life of water softeners. Also seems they aren't the best at getting chlorine out and those that claim to lose the ability to do so well before they lose their softening ability. OTOH, and maybe I'm not understanding correctly, filters don't filter enough to pull out the hardness of the water, which makes sense since the minerals are dissolved in the water, not chunks.

So do people do both filter and softener or just run a softener. Can you get away with just a filter if the water is not super hard?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Whole House Filter, Water Softener or both? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have well water, so keep that in mind. But, even if we had city water we would do the same. We have a water softener and a dedicated water filter. The water filter only goes to the ice maker and the drinking water spout mounted at the sink. The water softener goes to the entire house.

You are correct that filters will not remove the hardness of water. You need a softener for that.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Whole House Filter, Water Softener or both? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
We have well water, so keep that in mind. But, even if we had city water we would do the same. We have a water softener and a dedicated water filter. The water filter only goes to the ice maker and the drinking water spout mounted at the sink. The water softener goes to the entire house.

You are correct that filters will not remove the hardness of water. You need a softener for that.

It depends on the type of the filter, a reverse osmosis filter will get rid of *everything* but it's maybe 1/4 gal/minute and will waste quite a bit of water.

We're also on a well with crappy water, our setup looks like this:

1. Sediment filter.
2. Charcoal filter to get rid of H2S.
3. UV filter to get rid of bios
4. Softener to lower PH and remove Fe
5. RO under the kitchen sink with it's own sediment and charcoal filters to make the water taste awesome.

#1-#2 get replaced every 2-3 months, the softener gets cycled every 10 days and needs more salt+proban every 4-5 months.
Last edited by: owen.: Feb 6, 17 19:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We don't do either in our house, but my parents have a whole house system that filters and softens. Also has a second stage filter and spigot at the sink. It's awesome. They've had it for going on 20 years with no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Whole House Filter, Water Softener or both? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Why doesn't Matt like the taste of your poo? I think your poo tastes great.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we're on well water, tastes great but had it tested and has higher levels of nitrates and atrazene. Very concerned about atrazene so I installed an under the sink filter (2 stage Aquasana) for drinking, rinsing and cooking. R/O wastes too damn much water and takes too many minerals out of water for my 'taste'. If I were to take any additional steps I would add a whole house filter mostly for sediment/rust at point of entry. They are cheap to buy and maintain.
Quote Reply
Re: Whole House Filter, Water Softener or both? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im not sure softeners are made for removing chlorine. Usually for iron or sulfer, and they need to be loaded with the proper media for each. Im assuming your on city water since your concern is chlorine. I would say contact a water guy. Idk if there are any in your area but there a dime a dozen were well water is the main source.
If by chance your on a well , whole house r/o is the way to go imo. Once you shower with r/o youll never go back . Awsome for laundry and you can wash your vehicles and not have to dry , comes out spot free! I use the waste water to irrigate my front yard .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water softeners are typically IX based (ion-exchange resins), using salt (NaCl) as a regenerant. The conc. of chlorine in drinking water water is typically around 2 ppm. At that level it will not do any harm to a IX based water softner. These softeners are designed to do exactly what the name implies - remove minerals associated with hardness: these include Ca, Mg, Al, and to a lesser degree, Fe.

I suspect whoever told you this mixed his/her terms and was referring to a RO (Reverse Osmosis) system. An RO system will soften your water, but also most other ionic, dissolved and suspended contaminants - including organics. BUT chlorine is very hard on RO (Reverse Osmosis) membranes. Most cellulose acetate RO membranes start to degrade at 2+ ppm Cl.

As a rule - if your water source is deep ground water (i.e. well), you most likely need only a water softener. Unless you are in a fraking zone and then you may need a very good RO

In your water source is surface - i.e. municipal feed from a river or lake, and your water smells a bit, then RO is the way to go (a carbon filter (i.e. Brita) is another choice)
Some municipal waters are hard as well and then you may need an RO or even both - a softner first, followed by a RO.

Also - if you are on a sodium restricted diet, you may want to avoid water softners. A glass of softened water has almost as much sodium as a glass of Coke.

MJuric wrote:
I was reading the other day that Chlorine shortens the life of water softeners.
Also seems they aren't the best at getting chlorine out and those that claim to lose the ability to do so well before they lose their softening ability. OTOH, and maybe I'm not understanding correctly, filters don't filter enough to pull out the hardness of the water, which makes sense since the minerals are dissolved in the water, not chunks.
So do people do both filter and softener or just run a softener. Can you get away with just a filter if the water is not super hard?
~Matt

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Whole House Filter, Water Softener or both? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water softeners are typically IX based (ion-exchange resins), using salt (NaCl) as a regenerant. The conc. of chlorine in drinking water water is typically around 2 ppm. At that level it will not do any harm to a IX based water softner.

House we moved into has a strong chlorine smell to the water. There is a softener attached whole house but I'm nearly certain it is doing nothing. We have iron stains but I've not noticed any serious lime build up. I think I will test the water by passing the the water softener and see how hard it is. If it's not all that hard I think I will just get a whole house filter and call it a day.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Whole House Filter, Water Softener or both? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why doesn't Matt like the taste of your poo? I think your poo tastes great.

Actually poo water is way better then Chlorine water. We have well water in the old house and it's 10X better. It's just so hard that it destroys everything.

~Matt

Quote Reply